U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,987,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
We are where we are right now because for 8 years, "someone" has been giving state of the union addresses and boldly stating, "The state of the union is strong!" Just a sample of the lies told over the past 8 years.

On the subject of failing banks, I can add personal experience. My primary bank, where my primary checking account is, downsized and closed, leaving no branches in my city of residence. I took my money out and moved to another, closer bank. A year later, that bank failed. I did nothing. The bank was taken over by another bank and I received a letter of introduction from the new bank name letting me know that I didn't need to do anything. My account was fine, my checks would continue to be honored by the new bank and my account would not see any changes other than my statements coming from a different bank name.

Meanwhile, my financial consultant has changed hands and there is serious talk of yet another change in the form of a merge any day now. How has that affected me and my account? It hasn't. The same person I know and talk to is still there, still answering the phone no matter what the corporate name is and answers all questions keeps me advised just as he always has. No worries.

I learned a long time ago you can't believe everything you read and in fact, you can't believe most of what is written. All journalists have their own idea of what is going on no matter what is presented to them and they all want to win awards and be on the front page. Ignore them.
Actually, we are were we are, thanks to 30 years of deregulations in the banking industry.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 08:01 PM

463 posts, read 1,258,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
Bigdummy,

The economy is going to tank and we are headed into a full blown depression.
I don't know that we'll come out of this one so good.
What news station do you air on?

Old 10-12-2008, 08:16 PM

463 posts, read 1,258,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I learned a long time ago you can't believe everything you read and in fact, you can't believe most of what is written. All journalists have their own idea of what is going on no matter what is presented to them and they all want to win awards and be on the front page. Ignore them.
Exactly, how can someone allow the media to scare them so much as to control their every blink and move?

Mind you, even during the 'better years' there will always be someone lacking or struggling and forgotten.

In the same sense, even in the midst of a crunch...there will still be people who have done better than they may have ever done.

I think once people understand that concept, that ALL destiny isnt in the hands of politics and finances, people will have a tougher skin...

Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM

2,984 posts, read 5,435,128 times
How bad is the economy? How often do Europe’s government leaders jump into their jets and coming screaming into D.C. at the last moment? It’s what they are not telling us that is getting people worried. From what I gather people are starting to read our government between the lines and know what’s ahead. We are not as stupid as our government like to think we are.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:29 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,887,418 times
When the government has to send you checks to spend to keep the economy going..then you know it's bad.

When they talk about a second check..then you know it's worse than bad.

When they raise the debt ceiling and print money like it's no tomorrow and that money vaporizes once it enters the banks and does nothing to help..then you know it's really really bad.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:32 PM

1,075 posts, read 3,338,131 times
Quote:
When the government has to send you checks to spend to keep the economy going..then you know it's bad.

When they raise the debt ceiling and print money like it's no tomorrow and that money vaporizes once it enters the banks and does nothing to help..then you know it's really really bad.
Whewww i'm sure glad you quit at that and didn't go into diaster

Old 10-12-2008, 09:34 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,987,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

That's right. The U.S. is a debtor nation. It's citizens are debtors and it's economy is based on debt. The government created bubbles to generate new spending to pass along existing debt. But now we are at the end of our rope. Our system cannot handle any more debt.

The game is up, folks. We hope you enjoyed the ride!

Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 PM

32,516 posts, read 52,952,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
milk cows eat corn and other commodities like soy bean products which are being pushed higher in cost due...
With all due respect, no.

Beef cows might eat corn during their last few days on a feed lot. To sweeten their meat before butcher.

Dairy cows eat grass and silage.

Grass is pasture grown in fields near the cow's home.

Silage is cut feeds that have been grown, harvested, stored and fermented near the dairy.

Usually a dairy cow's owner produces the pasture grass and / or silage himself.

Cows can not digest soy bean.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,903 times
I cant beleive yall talking about times are not that bad and the media is overexagerating dont know about yall but middle class and lower income families are doing real bad financially for instance I graduated in 2004, took some college coarses went to a trade school became a certified medical assistant and cant find a job if my life depended on it and to top it off my student loan payments are coming up so dont tell me the media is overexageratting unless u really know whats going on

Old 03-24-2009, 02:54 PM

5,380 posts, read 11,257,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsthtx View Post
I cant beleive yall talking about times are not that bad and the media is overexagerating dont know about yall but middle class and lower income families are doing real bad financially for instance I graduated in 2004, took some college coarses went to a trade school became a certified medical assistant and cant find a job if my life depended on it and to top it off my student loan payments are coming up so dont tell me the media is overexageratting unless u really know whats going on
Perhaps mastering your writing skills would improve your results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics