Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:13 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,398,214 times

Advertisements

I remember not long ago( around 4yrs) i would see a western union "store" everywhere...Since i moved to Brazil and here there are not that common , i am wondering if people still uses their services like they used to. It was really popular in the US..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 02:35 PM

34,205 posts, read 83,398,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I remember not long ago (around 4yrs) i would see a western union "store" everywhere...
Since i moved to Brazil and here there are not that common , i am wondering if people still uses their services like they used to. It was really popular in the US..
Western Union used to mean telegrams.
They still do other 'wire service' transactions like payments or sending cash.
In the US most grocery store service desks still do this plus other outlets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8ciVBQixpU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr7xeRKg9BM

Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,835,595 times
I used one in UK to change dollars to euros. My bank in UK suggested it.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:08 AM

7,825 posts, read 6,462,248 times
Illegals use them to send money to Mexico.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:28 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,047,051 times
??? Legals with family in other countries often do the same.

Old 07-30-2017, 06:30 AM

628 posts, read 849,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Illegals use them to send money to Mexico.
True and the regulations dont stop the Illegals from using Western Union but stop legals from using Western Union

Old 08-07-2017, 04:28 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,354,095 times
In the customer service line at some grocery stores I notice they have forms for Western Union and MoneyGram. People use it to send/receive money. (btw I disagree with the remarks about illegals).

From what I hear there's a rather high fee. But I guess it's a convenience for people who don't have bank accts, credit cards, and need to send/receive money within a few hours.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:10 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,928,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
In the customer service line at some grocery stores I notice they have forms for Western Union and MoneyGram. People use it to send/receive money. (btw I disagree with the remarks about illegals).

From what I hear there's a rather high fee. But I guess it's a convenience for people who don't have bank accts, credit cards, and need to send/receive money within a few hours.
Their is some other service for the mexican illegals to use.. mexical something.. but yea i see them alot were i live too. Every friday, after pay day.. standing in line sending 200-1500 back home to mexico city and some futher down south. Some places setup for this type of stuff because think Western union you need a ID to send anything over 500 so they split it up among their friends/family to keep from ID checks. Their is a gas station in Austin off Lumar that doesnt ask for IDs period, even cashing checks they dont. I manage to send 1k to my sister with out a ID being ask, and i had it ready because i sent 2k to my parents from another place and they ask for ID. So yea WU and MG are still being use and I have to use to pay my car note who is with Chrysler Financials .. who would thunk...

Old 08-07-2017, 07:19 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 12 days ago)

35,996 posts, read 18,280,610 times
I used Western Union just last year. My college son had lost his ATM card, and there was no branch bank in his little town and no one under 30 seems to use checks anymore.

I went to a walmart and sent him cash and he went to a walmart and picked it up in an hour or so.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:48 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,498,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I used Western Union just last year. My college son had lost his ATM card, and there was no branch bank in his little town and no one under 30 seems to use checks anymore.

I went to a walmart and sent him cash and he went to a walmart and picked it up in an hour or so.
Becoming a member of a credit union that utilizes the Co-op Shared Branching network is really helpful when you're in another part of the U.S.A. If there was a Shared Branch in his town, he could have gone inside the lobby and filled out a withdrawal slip from his account back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics