Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 08:52 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Many?

Nothing in my state is that expensive. You have chosen to live in an extremely expensive area.
Next time I'm born again I'll remember to be born somewhere cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:42 AM

1,967 posts, read 1,307,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
no, you are in poverty because you don't want to get a higher paying job or more to a cheaper place where your income can support a house
MLSFan, home purchasing is both for use and investment. The vast majority of residential renters do not have the financial resources to purchase their homes. They do not have the alternative option of house purchasing.
Most renters derive incomes from somewhere within reasonable, (or at least feasible) commuting distances from their residences. For the majority of those renters, moving is not a feasible option with reasonable expectations for successfully remedying their financial difficulties.

It's foolish to imply renters as a group earn less because they choose or prefer not to earn more.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:00 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The worthless dollars are all I have so I can't and won't.
And that's your spiel in a nutshell.... talk talk talk but when it comes to backing it up you deflate like a popped balloon. If you really thought dollars were worthless you'd have no problem sending them my way, but clearly you don't actually think that.

Quote:
Next time I'm born again I'll remember to be born somewhere cheap.
Or get real lucky and be born in a country where people are allowed to move to another area. Oh wait...

Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
And that's your spiel in a nutshell.... talk talk talk but when it comes to backing it up you deflate like a popped balloon. If you really thought dollars were worthless you'd have no problem sending them my way, but clearly you don't actually think that.

Or get real lucky and be born in a country where people are allowed to move to another area. Oh wait...
I prefer not dying

Old 09-24-2017, 12:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
I prefer not dying
I prefer common sense. You should too, it's really neat.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I prefer common sense. You should too, it's really neat.
While we're at it might as well build a time machine and bring my money back to 1955 and retire in Atherton since I'm also able to change weather to make crappy places better.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:47 PM

1,766 posts, read 1,223,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supposn View Post
MLSFan, home purchasing is both for use and investment. The vast majority of residential renters do not have the financial resources to purchase their homes......
When tax codes and low interest rates encourage people to buy house as investment then house becomes unaffordable for people who need to live. Look at Japan and Asia for what happens to the economy and equality. The young are most affected in that they can't afford to buy where they live.

The Fed has turned our world upside down since 2001. House should primarily be purchased by end-users, shelter buyers and NOT some domestic or foreign speculators or Wall Street Crooks.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:56 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
I dont know about hard core third world countries, but as far as middle income countries American poor are just miserable all around folks since in the US everything is tied up with one' income status. I would say American poverty is way worse than 2nd world poverty I grew up with. Actually proverbial middle class typing all these messages on CD is quite deprived in many ways compared to the poorer countries, luckily most don't even realize the extent of that depravity because they were told it is the best.

Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I dont know about hard core third world countries, but as far as middle income countries American poor are just miserable all around folks since in the US everything is tied up with one' income status. I would say American poverty is way worse than 2nd world poverty I grew up with. Actually proverbial middle class typing all these messages on CD is quite deprived in many ways compared to the poorer countries, luckily most don't even realize the extent of that depravity because they were told it is the best.
How can I be middle class when I can't even afford a home? Home ownership is part of the definition of being middle class.

Old 09-24-2017, 04:40 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Quote:
How can I be middle class when I can't even afford a home? Home ownership is part of the definition of being middle class.
You can afford a home in many places all over the country, just not in SF. I, on the other hand, can afford a house in SF, but don’t want to exert the pressure and work involved in the relocation process at my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics