Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 08:51 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's true but the point of my post is that twenty-nine years less one and one half months I made it clear that I would not sign a prenup. In other words the lack of a prenup was not "laziness or ignorance."

I wanted to sign ours. It was a way to show my fiancé I love & want him ...not his money or alimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2021, 08:47 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Child support is federally mandated.

Alimony is alive and well. My girlfriend gets it for life and she was only married ten years, no kids.
Friggin’ ridiculous. Why should the poor ex have to give her one cent after they divorced with no kids? Doesn’t she have any dignity? She needs an ex (man) to help her get by? But women’s lib taught us that no woman needs a man. Unreal?

Old 03-27-2021, 08:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,427 times
My wife's niece got alimony, but I think it was only for a year and half or two years

Old 03-28-2021, 05:12 AM

35,051 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Friggin’ ridiculous. Why should the poor ex have to give her one cent after they divorced with no kids? Doesn’t she have any dignity? She needs an ex (man) to help her get by? But women’s lib taught us that no woman needs a man. Unreal?
What we don't know from that is if the wife stood down from graduate school or a career job.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:06 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

Alimony is alive and well. My girlfriend gets it for life and she was only married ten years, no kids.
Curious - what state/circumstances, as it's certainly not the norm in most (contemporary) divorces, particularly relative to 'life' in the case of remarriage/live-in and/or change in financial need, as her ex could simply request the court review and/or decrease it at that time.

That said, there is typically a provision for how/when alimony may/will be modified (in the less than 10% of cases it's actually awarded, that is).

Old 03-28-2021, 08:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
In today's day and age, there is no reason for two well to do people to get married. The more wealthy you are there is only negative reasons to get married. I don't see any advantage at all financially or emotionally for getting married. If your spouse decided after all these years to quit the job and become a home person and never worked again. There is nothing you can do to divorce this person and not have to pay your way out. If your spouse cheated on you and doesn't take home as much money. Your spouse is entitled to collect spousal support even without children. Because a judge can decide based on "ability" to make a living.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:49 PM

35,051 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In today's day and age, there is no reason for two well to do people to get married. The more wealthy you are there is only negative reasons to get married. I don't see any advantage at all financially or emotionally for getting married. If your spouse decided after all these years to quit the job and become a home person and never worked again. There is nothing you can do to divorce this person and not have to pay your way out.
For children to now their parents as a unit is one very good reason. .Another is if they combine households one cannot willy-nilly throw the other one out.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:11 AM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Alimony depends on:

1. How long the marriage lasted
2. The state the marriage occurred
3. What the family judge decides or what both parties hash out

Old 03-29-2021, 08:00 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post

That said, there is typically a provision for how/when alimony may/will be modified (in the less than 10% of cases it's actually awarded, that is).

IMO...part of the problem is older ppl still have old fashioned ideas about marriage & alimony....so they are going to be the ppl that still have the view that all women can ruin them financially or “take them to the cleaners”.....is that the saying? Because that kind of stuff might of happened to them 40 or 50 yrs ago.

They think all of us want babies too. We are totally capable of doing more than having babies or collecting alimony from an ex husband in order to pay our bills.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:05 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Any way you put it, it’s all for people too lazy or ignorant to have a prenup in place before they get married. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you don’t come to your own agreement, the court will do it for you. Not smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Prenups aren't a panacea. They can be contested and broken, adjudicated away by a judge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It's a contract; and as such, it's a matter of crossing one's T's and dotting the I's in order to be valid. It's not meant to be a 'panacea'. :-)
They're really great in the short term. If one party comes in with significant assets and the other is a gold digging good-for-nuthin, or for second marriages or marriages later in life, they make a lot of sense.

That said, if you have one when you're married and 14 years and 2.5 kids later decide to split, they're less likely to be as useful as some think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics