Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2021, 05:53 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times

Advertisements

Don't know if you want to call it alimony, support, maintenance, or whatever. All I know is the brand of Alpo my ex preferred wasn't cheap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2021, 06:55 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
It totally sounds like alimony AND our prenup is on your mind. Why tho?
You still haven’t learned. This is the Internet. Did you not mention your prenup earlier and discuss alimony? The way it works is if you bring it up, it may be discussed or asked about.

Old 04-18-2021, 10:25 PM

8,661 posts, read 3,863,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
You still haven’t learned. This is the Internet. Did you not mention your prenup earlier and discuss alimony? The way it works is if you bring it up, it may be discussed or asked about.
Yeah, angry people who think they know others' business/feelings (or what's on their mind) better than they do is, absolutely, par for the course. That said, it's (clearly) you who hasn't learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
It’s easy to say getting alimony would never enter your mind but it has to be partially because you’ve never been in a position to receive it. That’s often how things like this work and since your fiancé is an attorney albeit a corporate one I’m sure he’s caught wind of this common occurrence and might be a reasonable rationale for asking for a prenup
Perhaps it isn't on her mind because, as she stated, there is already a prenup in place, lol.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:10 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
It’s my understanding, that alimony is an “it depends“ situation. I had an acquaintance who went through a divorce — she worked, he worked, there was parity in their wages, and the child support was it. And given the parity of their wages, child support was not that bad.

I also know someone who was highly encouraged to stay home with the children. Because where this gentleman worked that was what the women did. She did get alimony. And she deserved it because there she was at 52, and she hadn’t worked in 30 years. She was an unskilled person and she ended up working rather menial jobs. That was all she could get. And he needed to support her in the style that she was accustomed to. This was also a long time ago.

A few years ago I ran into the same sort of thing. The woman got I believe they called it maintenance for a few years so she could finish her degree and start her career. But she was much younger when they divorced.

I’ve also heard it work the other way. Where the man stays home with the children and the wife earns the money, and if they get divorced the man gets the alimony. I have to be honest though I’ve actually never seen a very acrimonious divorce. I guess I tend to know more people who are adults.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:16 AM

50,765 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
It’s my understanding, that alimony is an “it depends“ situation. I had an acquaintance who went through a divorce — she worked, he worked, there was parity in their wages, and the child support was it. And given the parity of their wages, child support was not that bad.

I also know someone who was highly encouraged to stay home with the children. Because where this gentleman worked that was what the women did. She did get alimony. And she deserved it because there she was at 52, and she hadn’t worked in 30 years. She was an unskilled person and she ended up working rather menial jobs. That was all she could get. And he needed to support her in the style that she was accustomed to. This was also a long time ago.

A few years ago I ran into the same sort of thing. The woman got I believe they called it maintenance for a few years so she could finish her degree and start her career. But she was much younger when they divorced.

I’ve also heard it work the other way. Where the man stays home with the children and the wife earns the money, and if they get divorced the man gets the alimony. I have to be honest though I’ve actually never seen a very acrimonious divorce. I guess I tend to know more people who are adults.
Sometimes the man gets alimony even if he doesn’t stay home. Both my niece and her husband worked but she was a teacher and he worked in a store. She was the primary breadwinner and provided health benefits. She has to pay him alimony for 5 years and provide his health insurance.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:41 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sometimes the man gets alimony even if he doesn’t stay home. Both my niece and her husband worked but she was a teacher and he worked in a store. She was the primary breadwinner and provided health benefits. She has to pay him alimony for 5 years and provide his health insurance.
I'm very glad to hear this because it seems men have a very skewed idea of how maintenance works and who gets it.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Don't know if you want to call it alimony, support, maintenance, or whatever. All I know is the brand of Alpo my ex preferred wasn't cheap!
Interesting - so you're guilty of bestiality?

Old 04-20-2021, 04:40 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Yeah, angry people who think they know others' business/feelings (or what's on their mind) better than they do is, absolutely, par for the course. That said, it's (clearly) you who hasn't learned.

Perhaps it isn't on her mind because, as she stated, there is already a prenup in place, lol.

I'm hopeful that Tasha has found her prince and "they" will have a long happy marriage when they have "their" wedding day which sounds amazing. Alimony will be a non-issue because "they" won't divorce.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:34 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm hopeful that Tasha has found her prince and "they" will have a long happy marriage when they have "their" wedding day which sounds amazing. Alimony will be a non-issue because "they" won't divorce.

Ita...alimony is a non issue. I plan to always work & maintain my license...even if it’s part time.

Thank you...tho I wouldn’t say “prince” because he isn’t royalty I have found the perfect man for me. He is my best friend...confidant...lover AND I have never clicked or had such natural chemistry with anybody the way we do.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita...alimony is a non issue. I plan to always work & maintain my license...even if it’s part time.
I'm definitely glad to hear this. I remember you asking awhile back about going part time because you just didn't have enough time to do the stuff you wanted with your fiance, at least according to his schedule.

Frankly, I thought that was crazy considering you're always saying how important it is to remain independent, etc. I would never go part time because yeah, that would feel like I was on my way to being a "lady who lunches" with her country club friends. That seems one step closer to just making yourself available to someone whose career is obviously given priority, duh, because he makes so much more than you. So if you can reconcile all that, the prenup thing, and maintain your own identity then I guess your life is all settled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics