Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2021, 10:51 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,252,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Many couples choose to work out a lump sum settlement in lieu of spousal support payments over time, because it can be preferable to ongoing communication about money with an ex-spouse.
That makes a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 11:12 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The only sure way to avoid it is to not get married. I have no desire to be stripped of my assets and enslaved. In Canada and even in some places in the USA with common law marriage, even that doesn't offer protection.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...al-court-rules

Unfortunately, women are equals; strong and independent only when it suits them. There is a reason 70-80% of divorces are initiated by women. Marriage just has few benefits for men anymore. The only thing it does is trap you with a person who at any time can strip you of your assets and enslave you. As soon as they decide they would like your assets more than you it is over.
The reason most divorces are initiated by women is that most men just don't want to deal with it. I have talked to many women - the marriage was hell, the husband was even cheating and there was no question of the marriage being over. But the husband was content to "carry on" as is.

I filed for our divorce, 5 YEARS after we separated. He had met someone and wanted to get married. He literally CALLED me and asked me to file.

So stop with your erroneous assumptions.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The only sure way to avoid it is to not get married. I have no desire to be stripped of my assets and enslaved. In Canada and even in some places in the USA with common law marriage, even that doesn't offer protection.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...al-court-rules

Unfortunately, women are equals; strong and independent only when it suits them. There is a reason 70-80% of divorces are initiated by women. Marriage just has few benefits for men anymore. The only thing it does is trap you with a person who at any time can strip you of your assets and enslave you. As soon as they decide they would like your assets more than you it is over.
Interesting court case, but it only applies to Ontario, not all of Canada. Common Law Marriages are a provincial matter.

Old 02-27-2021, 12:31 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The reason most divorces are initiated by women is that most men just don't want to deal with it. I have talked to many women - the marriage was hell, the husband was even cheating and there was no question of the marriage being over. But the husband was content to "carry on" as is.

I filed for our divorce, 5 YEARS after we separated. He had met someone and wanted to get married. He literally CALLED me and asked me to file.

The poster you are replying to is just negative about everything and never actually takes steps to improve his situation. On top of that in most cases the divorce/alimony laws are gender neutral so if the wife is the earner she pays and that’s often overlooked by the same type of poster

Old 02-27-2021, 03:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

More accurately, the husband didn't want to get raped in the family court so he just gave up the marriage without going through the official process.

As for the affairs I've known men who were just dogs and cheated on their wives. I've known just as many that have been reduced to incels because their wives weren't giving them any which put them in the impossible situation of either going without sex or getting financially ruined in divorce court. As I said, all marriage does is trap you with a woman and erase any leverage the man has to get her to conform to standards. If an unmarried partner stops taking care of the guy's needs or uses it to extort him as I have seen a lot of wives do then the solution is simple: Bye Felicia.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 02-27-2021 at 03:53 PM..

Old 02-27-2021, 03:37 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
gender neutral so if the wife is the earner she pays and that’s often overlooked by the same type of poster
Cases like Adele's are rare. Most women are highly unwilling to marry men of lower socioeconomic status. Men on the other hand, are. Though it was quite amusing to see the same women cheering at men getting taken to the cleaners in divorce court, complaining about how unfair the ruling was to Adele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7LN14IpVy0

Last edited by MSchemist80; 02-27-2021 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-27-2021, 07:32 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,636,118 times
Any way you put it, it’s all for people too lazy or ignorant to have a prenup in place before they get married. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you don’t come to your own agreement, the court will do it for you. Not smart.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:48 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Any way you put it, it’s all for people too lazy or ignorant to have a prenup in place before they get married. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. If you don’t come to your own agreement, the court will do it for you. Not smart.
I've been happily married for almost 30 years. I am definitely not the side that came with money. I told my father-in-law and my wife that the wedding was off if a prenup was involved. Fortunately nobody blinked. No prenup, happy marriage. That way no one has the incentive to blow up the marriage.

Old 02-27-2021, 08:24 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,389 times
Default Prenup it

I got a prenup to specify the terms. I make considerably more money than my spouse but she had more inherited assets.

I got a decent prenup for about 3k around SF, its probably less in other areas of the country. We had two separate lawyers review it and sign it.

We agreed in writing up to 3 years for a 20 year + marriage and less than that for shorter marriages, with this going up to a max of 15% of salary.

If your prenup states absolutely no alimony ever, you risk having your ex claim the prenup is "unconscionable" so keep that in mind. But specifying the terms beforehand seems realistic. Dont sign a legal document unless you find the terms agreeable and marriage documents are no different.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:08 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My wife and I had relatively similar assets in a low 5 figure range each in a community property state. A prenup wouldn’t have done us any good. I sure hope your wife understands your mindset
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics