Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2017, 10:09 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
It is very expensive. But also very thorough, up to date and complete when necessary. We have much less in the way of waits and inconvenience compared to other countries. ...
The US excels at offering top-notch services (be it in healthcare, or nearly any other endeavor), in timely fashion, at a high price. Where is fails abjectly, is in trying to deliver mediocre-quality services at a low price. If I’m grievously sick, and desire the best treatment, with the latest diagnoses and procedures, the US is the place to be. If I’m fairly healthy, and am interested in semi-professional care such as a nurse-practitioner prescribing antibiotics for a minor eye-infection, but wish to obtain that care for a minimal price, then my options in the US are dearly limited.

The same goes for higher education, legal representation, accounting, and so forth. The US is the place to procure the best of the best. But if I want second-rate or third-rate services, at a low price, I’m generally denied that option in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 07:09 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Hoonose kept saying the US was the best in the world. I was answering this claim. I didn't not say that *all* developed countries had better outcomes than the US. Our life expectancy is however the very worst.
I don't agree that it's the best in the world either, but you said it was ineffective and had poor results.

Quote:
Are you sure that 5 year survival rates for people diagnosed with a potentially terminal disease is the best metric for evaluating healthcare? The US doesn't look so bad in those charts you posted, but it isn't at the top either.
Well yeah, results of treatment for common diseases is a perfectly good way to evaluate effectiveness of healthcare. You want to tell the tens of millions of Americans living with cardiovascular disease and cancer survivors that five year survival rate for their healthcare treatment isn't a good measure? US isn't at the top of those charts (I never said they were) but they are usually near the top and often in the top five, regardless it doesn't support your constant chants that healthcare in the US has poor results or is ineffective.

Average lifespan isn't as good a barometer because it is influenced by cultural/lifestyle differences. USA has a lot more car accidents and homicides,which are the leading cause of death for people before middle age. People driving their own cars a lot more at high speeds isn't a characteristic of healthcare quality, it's a cultural issue.

In fact there was a study that compared lifespan among developed countries vs. if you removed accidents to just show disease, and sure enough look who ended up on top:

The problem with the US healthcare system isn't the quality of treatment available, it is cost.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:20 AM

587 posts, read 304,812 times
Globalism is what happend to the American economy,
Globalism is also what built the Communist Red Chinese and N.Korean Military.
Also illegal immigrants , HB1 workers etc

Old 10-29-2017, 07:45 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I had an economics professor 50 years ago who predicted it would happen.
I remember an economics teacher 50 years ago telling us how the British empire expanded itself out of existence,Russia will militarize itself out of existence, and America he said would spend itself out of existence.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:12 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Hoonose kept saying the US was the best in the world. I was answering this claim. I didn't not say that *all* developed countries had better outcomes than the US. Our life expectancy is however the very worst.

Are you sure that 5 year survival rates for people diagnosed with a potentially terminal disease is the best metric for evaluating healthcare? The US doesn't look so bad in those charts you posted, but it isn't at the top either.
The USA is certainly not the best with everything related to HC, or even HC delivery. But in general for when the real sht hits the fan, seriously acute, very complex and advanced medical/surgical conditions we generally offer the best potentials for the patients, and in the most places.

The 5 year survival for the above with very serious/advanced disease would be a good metric.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:15 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I remember an economics teacher 50 years ago telling us how the British empire expanded itself out of existence,Russia will militarize itself out of existence, and America he said would spend itself out of existence.
Looking at China's rise today, can you tell me how the USA spends itself away?

Old 10-29-2017, 08:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Looking at China's rise today, can you tell me how the USA spends itself away?
20 trillion in debt

Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
20 trillion in debt
With no end in sight. How are Republicans, and Democrats different, again?

Old 10-29-2017, 09:17 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
In fact there was a study that compared lifespan among developed countries vs. if you removed accidents to just show disease, and sure enough look who ended up on top.
From 1980 to 1999. That was a long time ago. Any more recent data? The auto fatality rate has dropped a lot in the US, and is now only slightly above the European average. And even with fatalities included we've slipped in the rankings in more recent years.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:24 AM

5,667 posts, read 6,593,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
With no end in sight. How are Republicans, and Democrats different, again?
Deficit spending stimulates the economy, so both parties like to do it when they can. Democrats tax and spend, while Republicans *cut* taxes and spend (leading to even higher deficits). Republicans are loud deficit hawks when a democrat is president, and completely forget about it when their guy is in office. I first noticed this when Carter was president, and it's happened every time since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics