Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 10:25 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,646,355 times

Advertisements

Wow what a bunch of entitled whiners.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I always pay a week early, fix my own issues. If its beyond my cost or consider wear and tear, then i will make a report. Like refilling the AC unit. That is something i consider a LL issue, as they might have a service contract, warranty issues, etc. But things like doors, screens.. those are part of the wear and tear on a house, so i will replace them. I know the house i am is paid for.. So my LL is banking about 500 a month, and he got 12 homes. All paid off. WE live in a low COL but i work in a high COL town. He already stated that he wants to increase my rent due to the people are coming in from outside ares, but said he wont do so till we move out. Just got a good LL so not complaining to much about him. He knows i fix things and only call him for the major stuff.

Not really cherry picking, was just using the report as a example.
Sounds like you're a good tenant. I can assure you not everyone is and it is hard for a LL to know in advance who will be or not. And the LL has to be very careful in screening out those he thinks will not be.

You reminded me of something else - the endless sob stories why the tenant cannot pay until the 10th or the 15th.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
At my workplace we have about two dozen employees and all are paid within 25 cents of minimum wage. Since we have high performers, low performers, and in-between performers, its hard for me to accept your assertion that we are all paid a wage commensurate with our respective performances.
I don't think I made that assertion. I said an employer pays what they think you're service is worth to them. It's irrelevant whether you or I disagree with their valuation beyond choosing not to provide a service to them for that wage.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:39 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Sounds like you're a good tenant. I can assure you not everyone is and it is hard for a LL to know in advance who will be or not. And the LL has to be very careful in screening out those he thinks will not be.

You reminded me of something else - the endless sob stories why the tenant cannot pay until the 10th or the 15th.

Not me.. I get paid weekly, like it that way. But they do allow 7 day grace period because i live in a military town. They know they dont get paid till the first and the 15th, so depending on when it falls on they adjust for that. But some LL i had contact with, was very very picky.. even with great references, they backed out. They still have the same house on the market for months, and when it does get rented, its for a few months and its empty. House is nice, but think he is just over pricing the rent compare to others in the area. Most other people know the guy, and been wanting other LL to raise rents to match his close as possible. The town cant support rents above 1200 even for a 2 story home. Nobody wages can get close at "3x wages" requirements. Did find out the guy is from austin, so he wants austin prices in a town that cant support it.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Give me an example of anything that exists in your world that isn't 'rigged'....

Thanks to the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms is not rigged even rent serfs may own arms.

Being able to possess them in a rented dwelling is something else entirely.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,054,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Your math is entirely fabricated and now how the real world works or functions
No kidding, it's pure fantasy land. It frightens me to think how many people form their opinions using "yeah that must be right" numbers they pull out of thin air.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:55 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,235,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Doesn't like you are saving anything by living so far from job. Your fuel cost alone has to be $200/month and when you factor in total cost per mile, as you've noted with car repairs, your true cost is much higher.
That's what I was thinking.

Isn't East Austin still somewhat cheap? It's certainly nearby to downtown, and there are a lot of 1930s bungalows in that area. It may have gentrified by now, however.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Not me.. I get paid weekly, like it that way. But they do allow 7 day grace period because i live in a military town. They know they dont get paid till the first and the 15th, so depending on when it falls on they adjust for that. But some LL i had contact with, was very very picky.. even with great references, they backed out. They still have the same house on the market for months, and when it does get rented, its for a few months and its empty. House is nice, but think he is just over pricing the rent compare to others in the area. Most other people know the guy, and been wanting other LL to raise rents to match his close as possible. The town cant support rents above 1200 even for a 2 story home. Nobody wages can get close at "3x wages" requirements. Did find out the guy is from austin, so he wants austin prices in a town that cant support it.
As with any business, there are good ones and bad ones. No landlord can make money on a vacant. The market will eventually resolve that.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:02 AM

50,281 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Thanks to the Second Amendment, the right to keep and bear arms is not rigged even rent serfs may own arms.

Being able to possess them in a rented dwelling is something else entirely.
How is it not rigged in CA? They call modern sporting rifles "assault weapons" and ban you from purchasing or owning. It's quite rigged. Only LE can own them without a bunch of stipulations.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:04 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
That's what I was thinking.

Isn't East Austin still somewhat cheap? It's certainly nearby to downtown, and there are a lot of 1930s bungalows in that area. It may have gentrified by now, however.
If you consider 1200+ for a 600sq 2 bd apt cheap, your losing it. I live in a 1300sq 3/2 with a front/back yard for 650 a month. I would rather put money in my car than your pocket, My car makes me money, with fed miles i get paid as well my hr wage. There isnt nothing cheap as far as housing goes in austin. You will have to drive way down south, or way up north were I am, as i work in RR. to get anything nice that doesnt cost you 2 weeks pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics