Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

The great theft of America, wall street, real estate industry, big oil, CEO’s to blame for greed and collapse of country, country of consumers, non-savers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times

Advertisements

Although I've been called a baby boomer, I am a tail-ender, and their generation had very little to do with mine, except to severely impact it.

I don't relate to Woodstock because I was seven when it happened. My earliest political memory is of Nixon resigning and the gas lines.

When it was time to get a job in 1980, we were in a recession and the jobs had been sucked up by the boomers. When it was time to buy a house, they had moved to my sleepy town and stood on the lawns and outbid each other.

Years later, I moved to Florida, hoping to finally buy a house and they jacked up the prices and I moved on.

I've posted about this on a few areas of city-data, and the boomers don't like it. They don't like anything you say against them, because they've been stroked all their lives and aren't use to it.

But, having said all this, I don't think it's a conspiracy - the mess that we are in now. It just happened.

It could have started with the Nixon administration and the for-profit HMOs. It could have started earlier.

But slowly, methodically, corporations bought off the government, squeezed out the workers and we are now in this mess.

The dumming-down of the people, the poor quality education, the benign-sounding governmental policies like the "Clear Skies Initiative" that are backed by corporations and do anything but clear the skies, they were not a conspiracy but they were intentional.

They are as intentional as bailing out Countrywide and Bear Stearns, and not caring about the American public, the very people that voted them in and who they are suppose to represent.

Will the people rise up and take back their country? I don't think so. They've been screwed for so long that they know no other way. And their self-centered greed played right into the corporation's - who really run this country - hands.

And the boomers? Well, they'll have a temper tantrum, just like a spoiled child, but they have no idea how to fight.

Last edited by hiknapster; 03-19-2008 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 01:15 AM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
hiknapster, I personally take offense to what you just posted here.

*I* don't relate to Woodstock either although I was 21 at the time; I was working full-time as an RN, making all of $2.00/hr and paying back my huge school loans (which were probably less than $1500 in all, but when I was making less than $3.00/hr it seemed like a huge debt).

I got that school loan paid off by the time I got married at age 27 without any help from anyone. My husband didn't get any help with his education either; as a matter of fact, he couldn't find a job in his field either back in 1979, so he was back in school for his masters degree in the early 80's while we had 2 young kids.

I *personally* don't know any Boomers who inherited money from their parents; the ones I know have all worked hard for their money too. Maybe my friends and I are all just a bunch of working stiffs; but everything I've got or ever had I've worked for and got on my own. I didn't expect anyone to give me a home, a job or anything else. Your post sounds as though you expected these things and that someone a bit older than you "stole" them from you. Well, it doesn't work that way.

I will agree that our politicians (NOT the government!) have been bought out by large corporations. Whatever happened to the laws against monopolies?

As far as your last comment about Boomers not knowing how to fight: I say speak for yourself. I know too many Boomers who were in Vietnam.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

The dumming-down of the people, the poor quality education,
Two examples of this: The young man who was excited to get his taxes done because he thought the amount in the federal witholding box of his W-2 was the amount of his refund; and two, the teenager in line behind me at the store thought I had made out well when the cashier gave me thirty-five and change for my fifty dollar bill. She said, look at all the money you got back!

Old 03-20-2008, 09:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
You can still raise a family on one income the way our grandparents did it.

Don't borrow money to buy consumer goods. Don't buy brand new cars. Cook your own meals instead of paying someone else to cook them for you. Don't pay for TV programming.
I don't agree with this. Look at the cost of living. My father in law bought his first home in Chicago back in the 70s right. this guy was the only person holding down the household. crazy thing is, his mortgage was 25,000 and he made 15,000 or something like that. Home prices were double yearly income back then. Now look at home prices. For example, the average home in South Florida is 300,000 but the yearly income is 55,000 per household or something like that. that is darn near 6 times annual income. Inflation and the cost for goods have increased ridiculously in relation to pay as well. It is extremely difficult to do it with just one person. You would JUST scrape by IF that. Heck even rents are out passing real wages.

Also i agree with those who said consumer were to blame also. We have a F.I.R.E. economy and it needs to be dismantled and reassembled from the ground up. Heck our entire system needs a over haul.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:03 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
You can still raise a family on one income the way our grandparents did it.

Don't borrow money to buy consumer goods. Don't buy brand new cars. Cook your own meals instead of paying someone else to cook them for you. Don't pay for TV programming.
I agree 100% with this. I see it every day. People spending thousands on media and video game systems, new cars, designer clothes, expensive restaurants, landscaping, dog spas, manicures, redecorating, health club memberships, etc... etc.... etc... Yet complaining that it's the govt.'s fault that both parents have to work and pay the high cost of day care. And now everyone's in debt. I don't get it.

There are a million ways to cut costs. Here are some:

- Don't buy the media (READ - it's free and better for your brain)
- Don't buy a new car every 3 years (mine is 8 years old)
- Shop at discount and resale shops (I buy antiques this way - and many have appreciated in value)
- Your dog does not need a $75 hair brush (I saw this in a store)
- You can keep fit without joining a health club (I run, hike, and coach kid's soccer - all Free)

Many need to stop blaming the govt. for all their credit woes. Tighten up the belt, make a budget, cut frivolous costs, get smart with your money America!

Old 03-20-2008, 12:21 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
hiknapster, I personally take offense to what you just posted here.

*I* don't relate to Woodstock either although I was 21 at the time; I was working full-time as an RN, making all of $2.00/hr and paying back my huge school loans (which were probably less than $1500 in all, but when I was making less than $3.00/hr it seemed like a huge debt).

I got that school loan paid off by the time I got married at age 27 without any help from anyone. My husband didn't get any help with his education either; as a matter of fact, he couldn't find a job in his field either back in 1979, so he was back in school for his masters degree in the early 80's while we had 2 young kids.

I *personally* don't know any Boomers who inherited money from their parents; the ones I know have all worked hard for their money too. Maybe my friends and I are all just a bunch of working stiffs; but everything I've got or ever had I've worked for and got on my own. I didn't expect anyone to give me a home, a job or anything else. Your post sounds as though you expected these things and that someone a bit older than you "stole" them from you. Well, it doesn't work that way.

I will agree that our politicians (NOT the government!) have been bought out by large corporations. Whatever happened to the laws against monopolies?

As far as your last comment about Boomers not knowing how to fight: I say speak for yourself. I know too many Boomers who were in Vietnam.
Actually, Jen-Lee, I thought hiknapster hit pretty close to a lot of truth. But then again, I am closer to hik's demographic, so it may be a case of the "We see the world as we are -- not as it is."

I do think your last point is a good one, but it does point to a huge, almost bimodal split among boomerdom, if you will.

Back when I was a troop and officer, my senior NCO were all Vietnam era. Their perspective of stupid wars and why and how to avoid them was outstanding.

But the bimodal part of this, is there were a lot of rather wormy boomers who ducked the Vietnam experience. Thought they were too smart, too clever, too good, and just plain better than the rest of you. And by-and-large that subgroup are the boomerworms who have ran the US into the mess it is. Bush, Cheney, Clinton (about the same basic character to me) -- all pretty much the same me-first-scruw-you-me-me-mine-mine we now collectively associate with boomers.

Sad part is when the sand shifts, and the pyramid collapses leading to Social Security retirement failure along with the 401k's and all the rest falls out, it will be you go-to-work-Vietnam-vet types who are harmed and the top end boomer worms will just skate away dumping on the rest of you -- like they have all their lives.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
I seemed to skip the "baby boom" altogether. Both my parents were born in 1930 and I was born in 1968. My parents are depression-savy and never borrowed money except to buy their 16,000.00 new home. I have never borrowed any money, period. Despite having an unsteady income I was never in debt. My biggest fear is inflation, which has been devastating my finances. As for generation, I would be considered "generation x" which is anti-materialistic and has not had it easy either. The current generations, especially in the south Florida area are really getting a raw deal. Only a hard recession or depression can cure what ails us.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:07 PM

638 posts, read 3,122,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Actually, Jen-Lee, I thought hiknapster hit pretty close to a lot of truth. But then again, I am closer to hik's demographic, so it may be a case of the "We see the world as we are -- not as it is."

I do think your last point is a good one, but it does point to a huge, almost bimodal split among boomerdom, if you will.

Back when I was a troop and officer, my senior NCO were all Vietnam era. Their perspective of stupid wars and why and how to avoid them was outstanding.

But the bimodal part of this, is there were a lot of rather wormy boomers who ducked the Vietnam experience. Thought they were too smart, too clever, too good, and just plain better than the rest of you. And by-and-large that subgroup are the boomerworms who have ran the US into the mess it is. Bush, Cheney, Clinton (about the same basic character to me) -- all pretty much the same me-first-scruw-you-me-me-mine-mine we now collectively associate with boomers.

Sad part is when the sand shifts, and the pyramid collapses leading to Social Security retirement failure along with the 401k's and all the rest falls out, it will be you go-to-work-Vietnam-vet types who are harmed and the top end boomer worms will just skate away dumping on the rest of you -- like they have all their lives.
I think that there are a lot more Boomers who didn't shirk their duty than there are worms as you call them.

The problem is that so many people, not just the Boomers either did NOT pay attention or take notice of what the slick greedy corporate CEOs and politicians were doing. I believe it's time that we all woke up and took an active interest in what is going on with our economy and the world in general and collectively stand up for what is right for a change.

Because some Boomers were greedy doesn't mean we all were; the same can be said for every other generation alive now too.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
Two examples of this: The young man who was excited to get his taxes done because he thought the amount in the federal witholding box of his W-2 was the amount of his refund; and two, the teenager in line behind me at the store thought I had made out well when the cashier gave me thirty-five and change for my fifty dollar bill. She said, look at all the money you got back!
I can top that one..when you have to tell the cashier how much change you should get back if they screw up what they typed in the cash register
I wait a minute or two while they try to do the math and just tell them what to give me.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:09 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default when it counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I think that there are a lot more Boomers who didn't shirk their duty than there are worms as you call them.

The problem is that so many people, not just the Boomers either did NOT pay attention or take notice of what the slick greedy corporate CEOs and politicians were doing. I believe it's time that we all woke up and took an active interest in what is going on with our economy and the world in general and collectively stand up for what is right for a change.

Because some Boomers were greedy doesn't mean we all were; the same can be said for every other generation alive now too.

Look Jen I can't speak for all the X'er out there. But I will speak for some of us.
Honestly Boomer's can't take all the blame on our current economic situation. I think alot of us are to blame (Boomer, X'er, some Y's) for our current situation. But you have to understand Gen X is just not large enough to make an impact on both economy and on social issues. X'er really don't have much of a say on the issues today. We are for the most part just living in America. Nothing more, nothing less. The sad part is that (I think) X'er really do want change and to roll forward toward progress. Most of my Gen. already see the problems we are going to face in the very near future and we just do have the power right now to do much about it. Look at social security, Medicare, Medicaid, The country's infrastructure, lack of job security, Cuts in veterans benefits, and poor race relations. Look. Everyone has shirked these issue thus far. But I got (my Generation got) a really bad feeling your guys are not going to help us deal with these issues. And by the time we actually gain enough power with the help of Gen Y it will be to late to turn the boat around.
So you see alot of our bitterness at the boomer's stem from having a lack of power to really shape our future as a whole. We are tied to your whims and we not pleased about it. So all I can say to the boomer's is.....please help us help the nation's future. We need to start deal with alot of issues head on NOW. Make me be wrong in my (and a lot of my Gen's) belief that you won't be there when it counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics