Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 06:53 AM

1,750 posts, read 2,401,660 times

Advertisements

Harvey, Irma and Maria cut a terrible swath through the US and our US territories. As the news trickled out many reporters interviewed devastated people who lost everything – houses, cars, possessions, and jobs. In Puerto Rico, many lost more than that, basically all the resources of a modern life such as power, communication, stores, hospitals, and transport. “But at least we’re alive!” so many said.

It’s shallow of me but I am so devoutly thankful it wasn’t me. Still, I’m haunted by the question “How do you start over when you have lost absolutely everything? “Hopefully, there’s aid from the government, churches, NGOs, etc. but …. what would you do if that aid is not soon enough and not enough enough? Some people have money in the bank (if they can get to it), others are blessed with true family and friends who will help them, but some people live lives of desperation paycheck to paycheck.

So, I'm asking the question – what steps would you undertake to rebuild a life for you and your family from scratch with little aid or money? No snark please, it’s simple to toss off a flip answer, but this is a serious question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:38 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
First I'd move away from the coast, way inland. Away from Florida. Probably to the SW where I don't have to deal with much other than monsoons once in awhile. Not in a flood plain.

But when I see all the crap piled outside upper class homes in Houston, it looks that way although I have never been to Houston.

I wonder how much antiques, art work and collectibles have been lost.

Its heart breaking to see. I so feel for these people.

Rebuild with no money or aid? I can't imagine, not been put in that position. Can't imagine at 60 and 70 we'd even have the drive.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:44 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
At my age I would probably keep working (my job isn't going anywhere) and move straight into congregate housing. I could afford the rent and my savings would still be there for retirement. Getting together enough cash to buy another house cash outright would be tough and I wouldn't want to take out a mortgage at this age.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:03 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,030,811 times
Six years ago, a wildfire took everything I owned except my car, the clothes I was wearing, and my dog. I evacuated, and went to a Red Cross shelter. Next day, they informed me everything was gone.

The Red Cross gave me a debit card worth $165.00 That was the ONLY assistance I received. I had to wait 7 months for my homeowners insurance to pay off. They did give me a $3000 advance about a week after the fire, but that barely bought cheap furniture and a handful of clothes. I moved into an apartment, eventually sold the land, and I still haven't recovered, emotionally or financially. It's not so much the "things" as much as it is the "memories". Every single thing in your life has a memory attached. When it's gone, it can never be recovered.

Oh...and 2 days after the fire, I had a heart attack.

Fortunately, I was already on Social Security and had a small retirement pension. At least I had some money coming in.

When I see people being interviewed, my heart goes out to them. If they've lot everything in a fire, I weep for them. It hits me hard.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:34 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
First I'd move away from the coast, way inland. Away from Florida. Probably to the SW where I don't have to deal with much other than monsoons once in awhile. Not in a flood plain.

But when I see all the crap piled outside upper class homes in Houston, it looks that way although I have never been to Houston.

I wonder how much antiques, art work and collectibles have been lost.

Its heart breaking to see. I so feel for these people.

Rebuild with no money or aid? I can't imagine, not been put in that position. Can't imagine at 60 and 70 we'd even have the drive.

Where you choose to live is very much a life and lifestyle choice, so I moved to AZ in 1980.
I never would have lived in Hurricane areas for this very reason, and would have been well insured.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:51 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
Harvey, Irma and Maria cut a terrible swath through the US and our US territories. As the news trickled out many reporters interviewed devastated people who lost everything – houses, cars, possessions, and jobs. In Puerto Rico, many lost more than that, basically all the resources of a modern life such as power, communication, stores, hospitals, and transport. “But at least we’re alive!” so many said.

It’s shallow of me but I am so devoutly thankful it wasn’t me. Still, I’m haunted by the question “How do you start over when you have lost absolutely everything? “Hopefully, there’s aid from the government, churches, NGOs, etc. but …. what would you do if that aid is not soon enough and not enough enough? Some people have money in the bank (if they can get to it), others are blessed with true family and friends who will help them, but some people live lives of desperation paycheck to paycheck.

So, I'm asking the question – what steps would you undertake to rebuild a life for you and your family from scratch with little aid or money? No snark please, it’s simple to toss off a flip answer, but this is a serious question.
I wouldn't live in a place that's hit by natural disasters every year.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
I would have bought insurance for things I can't self insurance against...
Take the money and move on, rebuild or relocate

material goods are material, the PR has been hit before, the people there know how to ride the rodeo, it isn't anything new except the scale

Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
I would just rebuild where I am now.

Many years ago I saw my in-laws big new house go down in flames. Lost most everything. They rebuilt, and it was better.

Old 10-01-2017, 12:42 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post

There are two sides to the equation that generates savings: Income and Expenditures.

Income
You can be the most frugal mastermind, but to start over, a solo person needs to work 60-80 hours a week is . If a childless couple, 50 hours a week, each. If with a child at home, one working 60 hours a week.

Expenditures
*Cut it way down. All expenditures must go for essential spending. Entertainment becomes stuff that is free: library, community stuff, walking/hiking, etc.
*Get a tiny place to live

Savings
Grow these savings with modest investments and accumulation

To Avoid
Debt
Blowing it all to feel good, whichever your poison
Thinking that one can turn things around in a year. If someone is really starting from scratch, it may take a number of years just to get back on the feet.
Thinking that life is unfair. While true, you are alive and are in a country which values work. In most other places, it would be much worse.

To Build/Use
Savings
Credit (be very careful; pay off each month or do not use it)
Every social service available

Old 10-01-2017, 06:09 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
It hurts me that people are victims of these disasters. I've volunteered and been accepted by FEMA to help with relief efforts - just awaiting my orders.

Back to the question. I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this unless they've been there. I've pretty much been there but not because of natural disaster, but for poor personal choices. Two kids and a large dog in a one room apt, working 3 jobs and moved out of that into my own home. Never got financial assistance - didn't qualify for food stamps.

BUT I never had cable TV, was the very last person I know to get a cell phone. We seem to think those are entitlements.

So here we go. First I get a shelter, even if it means a tent. I find a secure location, possibly with other like-minded individuals. Maybe one person (or more) has a job still and another person is able to watch kids while the workers go. Another person can help organize cooking/chores and do the communal thing for a while. Where there's a will there's a way.

I'm going to work. I'll go where I can find work. Now that my kids are grown I don't have to drag them along. I can't count on them to save me when they're still learning how to save themselves. Maybe I can live in somebody's barn and take care of their animals. I'm sure it would be rough but not impossible. You have to make yourself valuable and not sit and wait to be saved. No one has time for that.

If I had a home in those locations it would be tempting to construct a shelter in the rubble and dig my way out slowly but surely. Good things come to those who wait - and work their buns off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics