Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many months should I save for in my EF?
3 months of expenses 10 10.10%
6 months of expenses 39 39.39%
9 months of expenses 8 8.08%
12 months of expenses 33 33.33%
Other amount (please elaborate) 9 9.09%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 11:13 AM

4,234 posts, read 4,754,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
At age 38, single, and renting where you think you could find a good replacement job in 3 to 6 months as a worst case, I think 3 months expenses is plenty assuming you have a good credit rating and available credit.

I'm 59. There's no telling how long it would take to replace my job and I might not find a replacement. My emergency fund is 3 years.
Thanks for the input.

I think 6 months is a start...I remember you stating in one of my threads that you had 3 years saved up.

I think once I start it I will need to slowly still contribute to it, just not at the sacrifice of my retirement funds. I think I'll have to still slowly contribute because as I age my likelihood of replacing my job quickly will start to go down at some point in the not too distant future since I'm nearing 40.

ETA: How does access to credit play a role? I have access to credit cards only and would hate to have to put anything on them during a job loss as they'd still have to be paid in full each month or otherwise I'd accrue interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,996,424 times
Your emergency fund doesn't have to be all cash. The Roth IRA can double as an emergency fund.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,590,992 times
We have $0 in emergency fund, diversified retirement portfolio is sufficient.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:23 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,590,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Your emergency fund doesn't have to be all cash. The Roth IRA can double as an emergency fund.
One of those is a type of savings (cash) and the other is a type of savings vehicle (IRA).

Can have Roth IRA with cash equivalent like a money market fund, or a regular taxable account emergency fund that is in stocks and bonds.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:49 PM

3,509 posts, read 2,671,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
Not many votes but so far it's 63% saying 6 months and 37% saying 12 months.

I think right now I'll aim for 6 months fully funded. I will have to turn my attention back over to retirement funds after funding the 6 month EF as I don't think I can afford the money I'd lose trying to add another 6 months to the EF fund while not contributing the max toward retirement accounts.

So right now my plan is:
1-get 6 month EF fully funded
2-max ROTH IRA, then max 401k along with it
3-with whatever is left over, slowly build the 6 month to a 9 month, then re-evaluate and see if building to a 12 month makes sense
If the 401k is employer matched, make sure the matched portion is funded before the ROTH IRA. For me this would be first on my list, even before a 6 month EF.

I also like cash, so my checking and MM accounts would be sufficient until my demise.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Do you own a home? If you do, I'd look into a HELOC. If you don't use it, you don't pay. Although there may be a small yearly fee. Then -- with that safety net in play, you don't have to sacrifice your total money plan to get your E fund built. You can save in both pots to keep your growth.

That's what we did. And in the 10 years we kept the HELOC? No emergencies happened where we had to tap into the HELOC.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
If the 401k is employer matched, make sure the matched portion is funded before the ROTH IRA. For me this would be first on my list, even before a 6 month EF.

I also like cash, so my checking and MM accounts would be sufficient until my demise.
The match portion is already currently funded of course fyi (don't want to be leaving free money on the table)....

But only contributing minimum up to match while the EF is being built. Hope to complete it by end of 4th quarter '17 or 1st quarter' 18.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Do you own a home? If you do, I'd look into a HELOC. If you don't use it, you don't pay. Although there may be a small yearly fee. Then -- with that safety net in play, you don't have to sacrifice your total money plan to get your E fund built. You can save in both pots to keep your growth.

That's what we did. And in the 10 years we kept the HELOC? No emergencies happened where we had to tap into the HELOC.
Nope, don't own.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:29 PM

270 posts, read 211,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post

ETA: How does access to credit play a role? I have access to credit cards only and would hate to have to put anything on them during a job loss as they'd still have to be paid in full each month or otherwise I'd accrue interest.
One of my friend was jobless for a year and her only access is her good credit and credit cards. She used them as revolving money; take one card to pay the other, take out cash to pay her rent while still maintaining her good credit status. Yes interests accrue but she got to do what she got to do while job hunting.

She paid them off in 3 years after she got a good job and do loan consolidation. Maintaining good credit is crucial system in this country, it can bail you out.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:21 PM

98 posts, read 120,334 times
I voted "other amount" - we have 2+ years of household expenses in our "emergency" (cash) fund. Have 1 young elementary-school age dependent and in our late 40s. Having 2+ years emergency fund may be an overkill, but with a young child I'd prefer this level peace of mind.

Since you're single with no dependents and rent, I think 6 months is sufficient. 3 months may be too risky: what if you take 3+ months to get another job? Do you want the stress of worrying about finances when you want to be focused on securing a new job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics