Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,838,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Taxes tend to vary in proportion to levels of services provided.
Yet when I moved from low tax Tennessee to high tax Arlington, VA, I failed to ever see what added service and value I was getting for the substantial increase in the taxes I paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 AM

20,153 posts, read 9,049,040 times
retire to Delaware

Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 AM

37,477 posts, read 61,452,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yet when I moved from low tax Tennessee to high tax Arlington, VA, I failed to ever see what added service and value I was getting for the substantial increase in the taxes I paid.
Just because you do not use the added services does not mean they do not exist.

A city near us has a metro bus service. I know people who have been organizing protests to expand this bus service. Bus fares cover less than a quarter of the cost of operating this bus service. When I have spoken with these people, they can not see the connection between city taxes and the bus route.

The biggest city in my state is Portland. Portland has a passenger rail service to Boston. Newspaper articles state that the trains have never been filled, only a tiny portion of the seats have ever been taken. People in Portland seem to want to have this rail service simply as a point for bragging. They hope to become a 'bedroom' community of Boston. People I have spoken with use the rail once a year to attend concerts. Very few people actually use this rail service for commuting. It's operating budget is dependent on taxes.

I regularly see discussions where people in other cities want this rail service expanded up into their cities, to give other cities the availability to commute into Boston.

There are a lot of people who will demand higher taxes for services that they do not use, simply for the bragging rights that a service exists.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:14 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You were getting access to jobs that do not exist in Tennessee. Also, it's going to cost a lot more to run the infrastructure in some place like Arlington. Northern VA is one of the premiere places to live in the country with top flight schools, readily available jobs, etc.

You have to pay to play.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,456,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You were getting access to jobs that do not exist in Tennessee. Also, it's going to cost a lot more to run the infrastructure in some place like Arlington. Northern VA is one of the premiere places to live in the country with top flight schools, readily available jobs, etc.

You have to pay to play.
I think the comparison would be somewhere like Brentwood to Arlington...

I've lived in high tax states where I more easily see my tax dollars at work and high tax states where they get frittered wastefully.

I live in a lower tax state now and I do see some of the differences. Not better, not worse.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:14 AM

2,286 posts, read 1,587,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
NY and other high-income "blue" states, which are subsidizing low-income "red" states with lots of poor people and low-income workers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-the-tax-code/

What this is about is punishing people living in high-income states that have opposed Trump. His proposals will balloon the deficit and stuff the pockets of the rich. The higher standard deduction and EITC will only marginally help the poor to live in poverty, but the higher low rate will make it harder for them to crawl out of poverty. This is a plan only a "moron", or a total hypocrite, would come up with.
You're using the WashingtonPost as a 100% reliable unbiased source?

High-income "blue" states? California can't even pay for its own low-income poor people yet has celebrities and tech billionaires buying and selling $100M homes. The state never could balance their own budget so I fail to see how they are subsidizing poor Nevadans, Arizonans or any other state. The golden state has hundreds of thousands of poor people (homeless families and women too) littered across the state and I am from Cali.

Not debating you about DT's tax plan but Obama did double the deficit in his 8 years. Big Bill Clinton was the only successful President when it came to lowering the budget.

Last edited by frankrj; 10-10-2017 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 AM

35,102 posts, read 31,358,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think the comparison would be somewhere like Brentwood to Arlington...

I've lived in high tax states where I more easily see my tax dollars at work and high tax states where they get frittered wastefully.

I live in a lower tax state now and I do see some of the differences. Not better, not worse.
Northern VA is still on another level of power and corporate development compared to anywhere in Tennessee, including the toniest and most developed areas of Nashville.

I last lived in Indiana. It was a much higher tax state than TN and you wonder where it all went. Still, I didn't mind paying the county income tax, because the county was so nice.

If you want access to the very best jobs and centers of power in the nation, you're going to be playing largely in high tax, high cost areas. Mostly CA, metro DC, NY, IL, WA, MA/CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics