Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:39 AM

5,119 posts, read 4,967,943 times

Advertisements

While I am an active user of Amazon/google etc (no fan of facebk, snapchat, etc though), the way how they have invaded/controlled other industries is raising a glowing alarm at the back of mind that our societal resources are becoming more and more concentrated on a selected few companies, which grow like cancers on the economy that threatens the long-term prosperity and health of the entire economy. It is disturbing that no regulations are envisioned to diversify the economy/societal redistribution of our resources.

A geek like MZ, IMHO, has made non-meaningful contributions to our society, yet he has gathered a huge piece of the societal resources that makes him a superhuman with unlimited privileges that he truly doesn't deserve. What is bothering is that our current civilization is buying into and endorsing this type of parasitic operations and let it continue without limits.

What do you all think??

Are prescription drugs the next target for Amazon? - Oct. 9, 2017

Are prescription drugs the next target for Amazon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,209,677 times
In the future, people will have less choices of brands to choose from. Google, Facebook, and Apple will produce 95 percent of consumer goods/ services and you will order through Amazon or Walmart.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:18 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
I've been saying this for years. I don't think America, or the world for that matter, cares anymore if monopolies own us and everything we do.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:46 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
While I am an active user of Amazon/google etc (no fan of facebk, snapchat, etc though), the way how they have invaded/controlled other industries is raising a glowing alarm at the back of mind that our societal resources are becoming more and more concentrated on a selected few companies, which grow like cancers on the economy that threatens the long-term prosperity and health of the entire economy. It is disturbing that no regulations are envisioned to diversify the economy/societal redistribution of our resources.

A geek like MZ, IMHO, has made non-meaningful contributions to our society, yet he has gathered a huge piece of the societal resources that makes him a superhuman with unlimited privileges that he truly doesn't deserve. What is bothering is that our current civilization is buying into and endorsing this type of parasitic operations and let it continue without limits.

What do you all think??

Are prescription drugs the next target for Amazon? - Oct. 9, 2017

Are prescription drugs the next target for Amazon?
The Sherman anti-trust act still exists.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:11 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
death to materialism!

Old 10-09-2017, 03:53 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I agree, I find it very perturbing.

However, you're late to the party, because you should have started worrying long ago about companies like Monsanto and Microsoft. Or Staples? Or how about the Koch brothers? Or the way a single cable provider dominates an entire region? Or the general media consolidation as mentioned in Outfoxed? Or the food industry consolidation?

So you can start by quitting Amazon. Anyone paying attention could see the way Amazon early on had been destroying the book business. Support local NYC businesses instead.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:15 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Corporations will become more powerful than countries. (heck, i feel like they are already!)

Look how everyone is bending over backwards for the 2nd HQ of Amazon. There is a city in Georgia that will rename itself Amazon if Amazon decides to set-up shop there.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:29 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
quote:
There is a city in Georgia that will rename itself Amazon if Amazon decides to set-up shop there.

OMFG lol. Reminds me of the Strangers with Candy episode of the Artificial Plant Plant.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:30 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,855,209 times
Lobbies these days are LITTERED to the max with amazon packages. If you want to make a difference, step on the packages and pretend you didn't see them on the ground. They shouldn't BE on the ground anyway. OOPS, sorry, i didn't see your package.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:32 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Lobbies these days are LITTERED to the max with amazon packages. If you want to make a difference, step on the packages and pretend you didn't see them on the ground. They shouldn't BE on the ground anyway. OOPS, sorry, i didn't see your package.
In NYC, all i see is Amazon and Wal-Mart packages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
View detailed profiles of: