Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times

Advertisements

Yes, lots of us "natives" couldn't stay in CA. I grew up in SoCal; bought my first house there in the 70's and if I'd had a crystal ball, should have kept it.

Almost all of my nieces and nephews have had to leave the state---most went to Texas . No one could afford to stay....it IS a sad story. My older sister is alone there in their 60s Encinitas house....no a/c, no heat required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 12:06 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,582,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, lots of us "natives" couldn't stay in CA. I grew up in SoCal; bought my first house there in the 70's and if I'd had a crystal ball, should have kept it.

Almost all of my nieces and nephews have had to leave the state---most went to Texas . No one could afford to stay....it IS a sad story. My older sister is alone there in their 60s Encinitas house....no a/c, no heat required.
So many people rent out rooms to make ends meet. Encinitas has nice cool breezes like most of California. That is what you'll miss.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:00 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I live in Oxnard and I earn as much as never before. And I am poor as never before.

I am renting out rooms. I got lucky with buying a house for $270k in 2010. However, it is in a so called unsafe neighborhood.

It is now worth $410k. If I would sell and move to TX, I could buy a mansion for the money.

I always wonder how my neighbors can afford living here. Most of them are poor, meth addicts, gardeners, handymen, hispanics with tons of kids.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Rents going up EVERYWHERE.

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/16/rent...ng-prices.html

I can't believe how expensive some places are here in Cleveland. Although, to be fair, a posh apartment in a popular downtown area is only around $2,000. But the suburban ones have been increasing a lot lately.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
It is sustainable. By "it" I mean high prices for classic Peninsula ranchers . What isn't sustainable is the lack of vertical building, which will come when land prices are even more ridiculous. What isn't sustainable is so much wealth remaining pooled in such a small number of zip codes. Money is leaving to find higher ROI.

A friend bought a house in a lower middle class area of Seattle 20 years ago for $170K. Now worth $700K. But Seattle is suffering the same issues as the Bay Area.

Portland, Austin, Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix have all seen similar booms. Little Bozeman, MT has exploded.

Spokane and Boise have been positioning themselves for a similar transformation.

But sadly, what is not sustainable is the older Bay Area lifestyle built around families with two parents. With the lifestyle gone, the luster on Bay Area living dims considerably. If high density, high rent living is desired, just go to NYC.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I live in Oxnard and I earn as much as never before. And I am poor as never before.

I am renting out rooms. I got lucky with buying a house for $270k in 2010. However, it is in a so called unsafe neighborhood.

It is now worth $410k. If I would sell and move to TX, I could buy a mansion for the money.

I always wonder how my neighbors can afford living here. Most of them are poor, meth addicts, gardeners, handymen, hispanics with tons of kids.
That won't get you far in TX anymore.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:29 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
It is sustainable. By "it" I mean high prices for classic Peninsula ranchers . What isn't sustainable is the lack of vertical building, which will come when land prices are even more ridiculous. What isn't sustainable is so much wealth remaining pooled in such a small number of zip codes. Money is leaving to find higher ROI.

A friend bought a house in a lower middle class area of Seattle 20 years ago for $170K. Now worth $700K. But Seattle is suffering the same issues as the Bay Area.

Portland, Austin, Salt Lake City, Denver, Phoenix have all seen similar booms. Little Bozeman, MT has exploded.

Spokane and Boise have been positioning themselves for a similar transformation.

But sadly, what is not sustainable is the older Bay Area lifestyle built around families with two parents. With the lifestyle gone, the luster on Bay Area living dims considerably. If high density, high rent living is desired, just go to NYC.

Bozeman, MT is now where near CA prices. In fact, many hard working, blue collar families from Seattle, Portland, and many places in CA are relocating to MT. Real estate here is still dirt cheap, small colleges have instate tuition for $7,000.00 a year, and other than heating costs, the COL is much cheaper. My family relocated from FL, due to high crime, and sky high real estate prices. We earn the same wages as we did in FL, but that money goes allot further. If we had of purchased our home in FL, we would have paid 150K more. We purchased a 4 bed, 2 bath, 1,700 square foot home, with 2 car garage, workshop, and 2 full sized sheds, on 6/10's of an acre, fully fenced, for $203,000.00.

For those struggling in CA, please move, find you a new home in our great country. By the way, my wife is a native New Yorker, born and raised in Manhattan, and she would never go back. She was paying $1,500.00 a month for a studio, and that was 14 years ago. Our current mortgage, including property taxes and insurance, is less than that.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You don't need a big house unless you live in the PNW and are stuck inside 7 months a year to stay dry...
We have a small house in Orange County, CA, and yes, we were lucky to buy in the mid-1990s and we know it. Most everyone talks about how we could sell and buy a much bigger place elsewhere. Well, what of it? It's more to furnish, more to clean, more to maintain, and why would we really needs tons of space? Unless the weather is so inclement that it forces us to stay inside most of the time, and in that case why would we move there...?

Every once in a while my husband talks about moving out of state when we retire (not for about 15 more years). I'm not totally against the idea, but I would want to rent out our house rather than selling it. I really think we would regret selling and not being able to come back if we wanted to. Even if we never lived here again, one of our kids would likely want to.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
I recently moved to Ventura County from out of state and paid a LOT for my little house. Its worth it. If you leave and you didn't HAVE to leave, you will regret it.
That makes no sense.

Quote:
Renting would be insane here.
You're assuming one would want to return to Crazyfornia. I've lost count of how many people who've told me they're happy where they landed and will never go back.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:30 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
That makes no sense.

You're assuming one would want to return to Crazyfornia. I've lost count of how many people who've told me they're happy where they landed and will never go back.
There's not a better place in the world to live and I'm glad I moved here. I think anyone who leaves and doesn't have to is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics