Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 PM

74 posts, read 129,112 times

Advertisements

I started paying $600 a month for a small room next to a garage about 6 years ago. Even though I have been making $45,000 a year I've decided it's time to leave California because of rent. My rent has gone up to $730 a month for a small room now. Some places are asking $800+ a month for a small room and that doesn't include Wi-Fi. This isn't sustainable.

People who live on Social Security or are Disabled Veterans are going to be hurt the most. If you can't work you might as well live in a mobile home or van if you want to remain in California, unless you can get HUD housing. Who wants to work, eat, sleep and repeat just to pay 50% or more for renting a room?

My father bought 1 acre of land in the 1960s in Ventura, CA. He was a small general contractor. On that one acre plot of land near Ventura College, Ca he built a house that had 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, large living room, office and large kitchen with a large dining room. His wife didn't work at the time and when she did work she was doing low wage work. He only paid $120,000 for that property and house. Today that house is worth at least $1.2 million dollars. Today a small general contractor moving to California couldn't even come close to being able to afford that property.

The house I'm currently at isn't very far away from the house my father built. This house is listed as being worth $800,000. It's a three bedroom, 2 bath house built in 1953. It looks pretty run down if you ask me. I see nicer homes in other states going for $150,000 and they're on more land.

For me to consider living in a mobile home or car just to not have to work, eat, sleep and repeat while making $45,000 a year just goes to show California has priced average people out of the market. You can't live here any longer and expect to have any semblance of a normal life. I wouldn't even dare think about having children here. That would be incredibly irresponsible for anyone not making more than $100,000 a year.

I was born here in Ventura County, Ca. The weather is some of the finest you will find in the country. I've served in the military and traveled most of the country so I would know. But the weather and other things we love about the state are becoming not worth the living cost. I can just go live in a motor home and enjoy my life instead of trying to grind out a living while watching those who were lucky enough to buy housing back when it was cheap live their dream life. You would think not many of us "native Californians" would consider leaving the state, but recently it's become more of a push out of the state for me than a willful step out. Enjoy your property those of you who were lucky enough to buy when it was cheap, the rest of us have a big choice to make. Either stay and be poor or move and take our chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 11:45 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,723,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4881 View Post
I started paying $600 a month for a small room next to a garage about 6 years ago. Even though I have been making $45,000 a year I've decided it's time to leave California because of rent. My rent has gone up to $730 a month for a small room now. Some places are asking $800+ a month for a small room and that doesn't include Wi-Fi. This isn't sustainable.

People who live on Social Security or are Disabled Veterans are going to be hurt the most. If you can't work you might as well live in a mobile home or van if you want to remain in California, unless you can get HUD housing. Who wants to work, eat, sleep and repeat just to pay 50% or more for renting a room?

My father bought 1 acre of land in the 1960s in Ventura, CA. He was a small general contractor. On that one acre plot of land near Ventura College, Ca he built a house that had 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, large living room, office and large kitchen with a large dining room. His wife didn't work at the time and when she did work she was doing low wage work. He only paid $120,000 for that property and house. Today that house is worth at least $1.2 million dollars. Today a small general contractor moving to California couldn't even come close to being able to afford that property.

The house I'm currently at isn't very far away from the house my father built. This house is listed as being worth $800,000. It's a three bedroom, 2 bath house built in 1953. It looks pretty run down if you ask me. I see nicer homes in other states going for $150,000 and they're on more land.

For me to consider living in a mobile home or car just to not have to work, eat, sleep and repeat while making $45,000 a year just goes to show California has priced average people out of the market. You can't live here any longer and expect to have any semblance of a normal life. I wouldn't even dare think about having children here. That would be incredibly irresponsible for anyone not making more than $100,000 a year.

I was born here in Ventura County, Ca. The weather is some of the finest you will find in the country. I've served in the military and traveled most of the country so I would know. But the weather and other things we love about the state are becoming not worth the living cost. I can just go live in a motor home and enjoy my life instead of trying to grind out a living while watching those who were lucky enough to buy housing back when it was cheap live their dream life. You would think not many of us "native Californians" would consider leaving the state, but recently it's become more of a push out of the state for me than a willful step out. Enjoy your property those of you who were lucky enough to buy when it was cheap, the rest of us have a big choice to make. Either stay and be poor or move and take our chances.
The Bay Area is much worse. Whole generations after the xers have been relegated to poverty.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:48 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
started? It's started to explode for three years now. Sacramento is getting up there too.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
The Bay Area is much worse. Whole generations after the xers have been relegated to poverty.
Yes I've heard about it. Ventura County wasn't like that because we don't have the tech jobs that they have in the Bay Area. For Ventura County to become this way and only offer low paying jobs is making it unbearable.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
started? It's started to explode for three years now. Sacramento is getting up there too.
I wasn't really on top of it that much until recently. After looking at rent prices on craigslist it caught my attention. Jerry Brown's housing laws recently won't save us. It's only going to get a lot worse. I predict by 2019 it'll be $1000 a month to rent a room in a house with 3 other people.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Yes I've heard about it. Ventura County wasn't like that because we don't have the tech jobs that they have in the Bay Area. For Ventura County to become this way and only offer low paying jobs is making it unbearable.
A 100,00 dollar job doesn't mean much when houses built for working class people are 2 million.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:00 AM

Quote:
A 100,00 dollar job doesn't mean much when houses built for working class people are 2 million.
What's going to happen? I can't see this as being sustainable for another decade. Jerry Brown passed those new housing laws but I think they won't make a dent in the prices. You think another housing crash or something will happen?

Old 10-10-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
What's going to happen? I can't see this as being sustainable for another decade. Jerry Brown passed those new housing laws but I think they won't make a dent in the prices. You think another housing crash or something will happen?
People who bought decades ago for 50k have so much cash flow/equity they can just buy more property, reits can buy houses/apartment complexes, and foreign investors will buy the rest.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 AM

Quote:
People who bought decades ago for 50k have so much cash flow/equity they can just buy more property, reits can buy houses/apartment complexes, and foreign investors will buy the rest.
Californians who were born here are going to leave more and more. I can't see how anyone would want to have a family here unless they were making $100,000+ a year and even then they got to learn to accept a lower standard of living.

Old 10-10-2017, 01:57 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,134 times
100k a year is poverty level in some parts of CA. Im afraid to look at the COL when I hit retirement age, which is a looooooooooong time from now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics