Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:55 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It works only if recipients do not reduce their productivity in the face of "free" money.

In my case, I would increase my efficiency by using the "free" money to obtain more live/work space, which would allow me to ditch a storage unit (reducing expenses) and thereby spend less time transporting inventory and more time selling online. More time selling online equals more income which would allow me to reduce time working a job i hate. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It might not be feasible for everyone but it can be for those who are creative.
And what do you think will happen to cost of work/living space when all the other people with "free" money try to acquire it too?

Oh, and all those other ideas you meantioned are possible today for those that are creative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 02:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And what do you think will happen to cost of work/living space when all the other people with "free" money try to acquire it too?

Oh, and all those other ideas you meantioned are possible today for those that are creative.

VERY VERY FEW people will be in that boat; I'm not a bit worried about that. The average person doesn't try to make a living working from home.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:20 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
It would be a wash, and all of the poor people would be priced out of the same places they are now.

But one of the main upsides of UBI is that those poor people could move to cheap, jobless places in flyover country, and boost the economy locally with their UBI.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:34 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,391,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
When I see increasing property values accompanied by gentrification and displacement, I wonder; there is a ton of property taxes being collected (indirectly, through soaring rents paid to their landlords who directly pay the higher taxes) from the poor, where is all that increased tax revenue going?

Maybe this is where it is going in Stockton?
Not in Stockton. Property Taxes in California are set by state law (Proposition 13) and can only increase by 2.0 percent per year (other than when a property is sold).

The current initiative is only for 100 people and is being privately funded.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
Not in Stockton. Property Taxes in California are set by state law (Proposition 13) and can only increase by 2.0 percent per year (other than when a property is sold).

The current initiative is only for 100 people and is being privately funded.

Prop 13 brings assessments up to market when a property is sold to a non-exempt person (e.g. certain intra-family transfers do not trigger reassessment), and on average non-owner occupied property is sold and reassessed more frequently than owner-occupied homes - largely due to federal tax rules - hence on average, rental properties are overtaxed relative to owner-occupied homes.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:49 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
not sure if it was mentioned yet, havent seen a thread on here yet
Stockton, California launching the first US experiment in basic income - Business Insider

stockton wants to give people $6k/year as "basic" income...

why do all these basic income projects focus on only giving money to the "poor"? if they truely believe basic income is for everyone why do the projects not take place for middle and upper income people as well? how are they making a comparison to see if the area's economy gets better if they dont include the people who drive the economy?

what exactly does being in poverty teach someone? sure there are smart people in poverty, but they arent going anywhere if someone with more money doesnt go there and teach them and bring them out of poverty... giving basic income to people willing to go there to find these "gems" would be more useful no? but the projects focus on poverty like it is the cause of the problem instead of the result of the problem, as if they think throwing money at people means they suddenly know what to do with it.

in other words, i think stockton would have done better investing that same money in opening a free training center for three years than hoping its that the people who get it can collectively make the city better in three years.

not really sure which section this goes into, didnt want it to be specific to CA, and not really a current event discussion if i want to talk about how basic income is an economic driving tool
Being in poverty teaches people how to live on less that is one thing. Sure you can creating more training but that is not gonna create enough higher paying jobs for everyone nor help the people who are not smart enough to do anything but basic jobs. Seems like you are not even giving this a chance maybe we should wait and see what happens.

Old 10-27-2017, 05:09 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
So, $500 a month increase in someone's welfare. Just what do they expect anyone to do with $500 to pull themselves out of poverty?

I suspect it will go to cigarettes and drugs. Maybe the most responsible can take 2 month's worth of their bonus and buy a set of new tires for their car.

I'd like to see some after school programs to teach kids the basics of economics and to teach them how to qualify for a job and how to hold onto a job if they get one. Because it appears they aren't learning it from their parents.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:46 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, $500 a month increase in someone's welfare. Just what do they expect anyone to do with $500 to pull themselves out of poverty?

I suspect it will go to cigarettes and drugs. Maybe the most responsible can take 2 month's worth of their bonus and buy a set of new tires for their car.

I'd like to see some after school programs to teach kids the basics of economics and to teach them how to qualify for a job and how to hold onto a job if they get one. Because it appears they aren't learning it from their parents.
Poor people spend less on drugs than wealthier people, and most work at least one job if they can. If you think the poor are just a bunch of undeserving druggies, maybe you're the one who needs an economics class. Preferably something that goes slightly beyond the basics.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Poor people spend less on drugs than wealthier people, and most work at least one job if they can. If you think the poor are just a bunch of undeserving druggies, maybe you're the one who needs an economics class. Preferably something that goes slightly beyond the basics.
LOL - Amen to this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics