Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 AM

5,902 posts, read 4,404,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is a big problem as the difference between the haves and have nots just keeps increasing - those who have managed to purchase housing and stocks have seen their wealth triple (for essentially doing nothing) and it continues to skyrocket because of the monetary policies in Washington trying to keep inflating those assets. This wealth disparity does not really bode well for the stability of society as it creates polarized groups which leads to higher levels of social dysfunction and crime. That is my opinion anyway.
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe. Those who understand it, earn it. Those who don't, pay it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:48 AM

4,369 posts, read 3,706,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe. Those who understand it, earn it. Those who don't, pay it."
Those born too late are victims of it no matter how hard they try to take advantage of it

Old 11-07-2017, 10:53 AM

6,663 posts, read 5,877,163 times
My company matches 401(k), so I just pay into index funds every month and hope for the best. So far, my account is up about 20% since January. I'm not complaining, especially since I'm a moron when it comes to investing. I just let the Index 500 take care of it for me.

If the market crashes, which sooner or later it will because it can't defy gravity forever, you just keep on contributing, and eventually it comes back up. It took me a lot of years to learn that lesson.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:02 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,932,322 times
I got some good returns trading in 2015 and 2016. Having experienced the crash of 2000 I started to feel like the 2017 bull market was a bubble that could burst, and dumped all my stocks. As the bull market continued to rise I wasn't about to buy back in at the top. At 71, I don't have years to recoup any losses, so I am just collecting my 3/4% interest. If the market does crash, I'll go back in. Whether or not interest rates rise I will probably stay in cash. I made good returns until now, I'd rather just sit pat than risk a big loss.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,254,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
anyone here totally miss this astonishing bull market that we in? What was your reason for missing it? Did not have money to invest? Just kept your money on the sidelines? Any other reasons?

I read that 47% of Americans have missed the market because they don't even own investments due to lack of savings. And a sizable percentage of those who own investments own very little, not even to have seriously benefited which is quite shocking.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.c299b83be85b
Well I have investments, but I wouldn't say I'm ultra-better off than I was. Like I didn't actively gamble on anything.

About 3-4 years ago I've put in a bit more into a couple other retirement accounts...but I also have 30 more years to work...so...I'm not really thinking about it either way.

Now Bitcoin on the other hand...

Old 11-07-2017, 11:37 AM

388 posts, read 534,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Those born too late are victims of it no matter how hard they try to take advantage of it
Who's born too late? Last I checked, the market is still available, and I haven't seen any notices of it closing down.
The only victims are those that choose not to participate.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM

5,902 posts, read 4,404,170 times
Quote:
And after what year were these "victims" born where compound interest is no longer a tool that can be used for or against you?

Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,706,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And after what year were these "victims" born where compound interest is no longer a tool that can be used for or against you?
If you werent born pre 1970 where I live you’re locked out of housing because it rises faster than the sp 500.

Last edited by Perma Bear; 11-07-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 11-07-2017, 02:06 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,695,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Many people got duped into thinking that Trump’s election would cause the stock market to crash. But instead, the stock market skyrocketed.

This tells you how much you should actually trust your instincts.
That's what happened to me. Our new president and his unpredictable ways and the bull market we have been having, I am too worried I will lose my money when the market suddenly crashes. So I been sitting on the side except for the 401K plan I have going on. I have cash saved but I am not investing it.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:19 PM

388 posts, read 534,553 times
Quote:
If you were born pre 1970 where I live you’re locked out of housing because it rises faster than the sp 500.

This topic is about the stock market. You replied to a post about the stock market.
Nothing to do with housing. Let's stay on topic.

Other than that, your statement is quite false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics