Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times

Advertisements

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...Gqz?li=BBnbfcN

Maybe, just maybe it's the price of homes in coastal urban areas that are the problem, not the $8.09 Jersey Mike's regular sandwich, chip, and drink special at the local deli.

Sometimes I can't believe the articles that get published.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:46 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Maybe, just maybe it's the price of homes in coastal urban areas that are the problem, not the $8.09 Jersey Mike's regular sandwich, chip, and drink special at the local deli.

Aren’t you one of the guys who mocks me one of the “guys in coastal urban areas”. This seems hypocritical that suddenly you’re “concerned” for them.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
Aren’t you one of the guys who mocks me one of the “guys in coastal urban areas”. This seems hypocritical that suddenly you’re “concerned” for them.
The home prices are a problem. You're also free to leave to the plenty of metros in the interior of the country that have good job markets and housing costs a fraction of the Bay. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,725,536 times
Quote:
The home prices are a problem. You're also free to leave to the plenty of metros in the interior of the country that have good job markets and housing costs a fraction of the Bay. The two are not mutually exclusive.
If you expect a person in poverty to leave like me why not just expect everyone to do it? Why not have a massive migration? Problem solved.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
If you expect a person in poverty to leave like me why not just expect everyone to do it? Why not have a massive migration? Problem solved.
You have something like $160k in the bank. Buy a house for $80-$100k in Indy in cash. You still have enough to go for a year or two in the bank. Wages/COL there is very favorable. You'd be a homeowner and doing much better within a couple of months.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
Quote:
[Maybe, just maybe it's the price of homes in coastal urban areas that are the problem, not the $8.09 Jersey Mike's regular sandwich, chip, and drink special at the local deli.
It's both. HCOL areas on the coasts are definitely tougher for first-time buyers to break into. But there are also many people who don't want to cut back on any of their discretionary spending to help scrape up enough cash for a down payment.

Quote:
If you expect a person in poverty to leave like me...
No one with a six-figure bank balance is impoverished. To describe yourself as impoverished is to insult the many people who ARE trying to make it on minimum-wage work.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's both. HCOL areas on the coasts are definitely tougher for first-time buyers to break into. But there are also many people who don't want to cut back on any of their discretionary spending to help scrape up enough cash for a down payment.
I guess if you're eating artisinal sandwiches at $20 a pop or something, it might be normal. It would cost me $3-$4 to make a sandwich like I'd get at Jersey Mike's (I load mine with veggies). I get out of there for $8.09 for a regular, chip, and a drink at lunch.

As far as my spending vices go, this is so minor that it doesn't register.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:30 PM

3,695 posts, read 2,415,682 times
Quote:

High home prices, and many Millennials have sizable student debt.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:35 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:

I have to agree on that one. People in every generation are stupid with money, anyway. It's definitely not unique to Millennials.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:37 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,970,454 times
Quote:
Yes, I actually agree with that. Lots of people complain, but they never take constructive action. They let fear of the unknown get the better of them and wallow in complaints instead.

The factor of the matter is opportunities change. Some places that had opportunities in the past don't know and vice versa. As mathjak has said, if you live in a desert and need water, you have to go where the water is. Don't stay in a desert if you want to be near water...but that's what people do, metaphorically speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics