Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

“IT’S A PONZI SCHEME”: WALL STREET FEARS TRUMP’S DERANGED TAX PLAN COULD KICK OFF ECONOMIC EUTHANASIA

"...it could lead to another housing crisis, just as the last one is (or should be) still fresh in our collective memories. Here’s his thinking (which is hard to refute): Since, generally speaking, one of the largest state taxes is on property—your home—eliminating the federal tax deduction for state property taxes will inevitably cause the cost of homeownership in states with high property taxes to go up. It follows, logically, that if the annual cost of home ownership goes up, then the value of the home—which is for most people their single most-valuable asset—must go down. The National Association of Realtors commissioned a recent study that predicted that the elimination of the deduction for state and local taxes could result in a decrease in home valuations of between 10 percent and 17 percent.

That would wipe out a huge amount of homeowner equity, with the usual expected consequences: the sick feeling that comes from knowing that suddenly you are poorer, which can then lead to lower consumer spending, kicking off a recession. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 12:08 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
Nobody claimed that cheating is not hard work. Just that it's cheating
By the same token hard work isn't always cheating.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
By the same token hard work isn't always cheating.
A more accurate statement would be, it usually isn’t cheating.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
“IT’S A PONZI SCHEME”: WALL STREET FEARS TRUMP’S DERANGED TAX PLAN COULD KICK OFF ECONOMIC EUTHANASIA

"...it could lead to another housing crisis, just as the last one is (or should be) still fresh in our collective memories. Here’s his thinking (which is hard to refute): Since, generally speaking, one of the largest state taxes is on property—your home—eliminating the federal tax deduction for state property taxes will inevitably cause the cost of homeownership in states with high property taxes to go up. It follows, logically, that if the annual cost of home ownership goes up, then the value of the home—which is for most people their single most-valuable asset—must go down. The National Association of Realtors commissioned a recent study that predicted that the elimination of the deduction for state and local taxes could result in a decrease in home valuations of between 10 percent and 17 percent.

That would wipe out a huge amount of homeowner equity, with the usual expected consequences: the sick feeling that comes from knowing that suddenly you are poorer, which can then lead to lower consumer spending, kicking off a recession. "
As someone who reads a lot of studies, I can tell you that you always have to look at who is funding the study. The National Association of Realtors want the study to show dismal results, in an effort to help manipulate public sentiment.

And the fact that this is a Vanity Fair article is also suspect. They are only going to use the statements of the people who bolster their argument, ignoring and/or playing down the arguments of people who contradict their narrative. News sources that are actually considered “news”, are doing this these days, and Vanity Fair is not even held up to THAT standard, so how can you trust this article?

And I’m not even saying that all of this is definitely false. Just that it should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:41 AM

I find it hard to feel sorry for people who lose a deduction that I am prohibited from taking.

Because of the AMT, I can’t deduct state and local taxes, and haven’t been able to do so for the last two decades.

Let me ask a question of the people who are against removing the state and local deduction.

Would you be for removing the AMT, so everybody could deduct state and local taxes? Or are you for just keeping it like it is so that some people can deduct them while others can’t?

Old 11-19-2017, 07:23 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
you know the deal .anything over and above what someone else has is fair game to be taken .

Old 11-19-2017, 07:29 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I find it hard to feel sorry for people who lose a deduction that I am prohibited from taking.
Because of the AMT, I can’t deduct state and local taxes, and haven’t been able to do so for the last two decades.
Let me ask a question of the people who are against removing the state and local deduction.
Would you be for removing the AMT, so everybody could deduct state and local taxes? Or are you for just keeping it like it is so that some people can deduct them while others can’t?
Before I retired we got stuck with the AMT about 7 years out of 10 and we were not high income wage earners, I thought it was unfair then and I still think it's unfair.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 AM

698 posts, read 567,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I'm not asking you to measure within hundreds of an inch so hold off on your dramatics. If a weatherman forecasted significant ran fall he or she would give an estimate of the amount with some basis to support making the call. You can't even quantify the significant impact, or as you said earlier the significant reduction in the number of buyers. It's all overdramatized bs on your part
Not at all. Prices changes are important matters within a market. Removing the home mortgage interest deduction would be to effect a significant and market destabilizing price change. End of story.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:33 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
So time travel?
If it takes you an hour to drive away from a high COL region to a low COL region, then sure 'time travel'.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:36 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Before I retired we got stuck with the AMT about 7 years out of 10 and we were not high income wage earners, I thought it was unfair then and I still think it's unfair.
You make such a high income that you are in the AMT, yet you are NOT 'high income'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics