Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 05:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

The gift tax will set you back a bundle!

10K is under the threshold so not an issue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 12:00 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabound1 View Post
Not sure what the question is..... I’m just opining that the roof over your head should be treated as an expense and that the money saved by renting small should be invested elsewhere. If you choose to buy a bigger space, fine. But this notion of “buy the biggest house you can afford” as the best way to build wealth is laughable.

It’s nothing more than an excuse to buy the house you WANT. Fine....but don’t think it’s the best use of your money, because historically, it is not.
The homeowner equivalent of that path is to buy a house you can afford on a 10 or 15 year mortgage. I paid off my 15 year mortgage in 2008 and was able to do a massive boost in annual investments, during a period that was one of the most profitable in history. True, dumb luck had a lot to do with that, but when you figure in the lower interest rate and the reduced term, payments on a short term mortgage are not that much higher. Once it is paid off, you have the advantage of more discretionary income in perpetuity.

People who buy more house than they need and stick themselves with a 30 year mortgage are speculating. Borrowing money to speculate on real estate is like buying stocks on margin; you risk major losses.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Confiscatory taxes were the demise of many a small business and especially farms... I'm glad this is less the case.

On the flip side I was thinking about some long term planning and wanted to leave a property and include my nieces and nephews... the parents said bad idea and didn't want me doing that... said I could leave a remembrance but the last thing a kid needs is someone leaving them a house...
I agree. I have seen that go bad several times. If they already have a house, the extra money will allow them to upgrade, and they probably will be responsible with it. If they don't have a house, they will probably just **** the money away, but at least they will have fun with it.

All a house does it hit someone with a bunch of unanticipated expenses, primarily property tax and maintenance. A home owner will have a plan in place to deal with a broken furnace, leaking water heater, the roof that has less than 10 years on it, and the annual bill for thousands of dollars in property tax. A renter won't have a clue.

Generally I think it's a bad idea to give anyone something they haven't earned. My dad had a great aunt who put all her assets into trust funds for her heirs. Dad was peeved that he didn't get the money in a lump sum, but he put a down payment on a farm next to one of his farms and the trust fund made the mortgage payments. Great Aunt Minnie was so eccentric a lot of people thought she was crazy, but she was a very smart woman. Dad had to come up with the down payment on his own, then she kicked in the help. His sister just spent the money, and when the fund was exhausted she had nothing to show for it except a bunch of very expensive and outdated clothes and a nice jewelry collection.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:

Feb. 30 is Tax Forgiveness Day. There are no taxes on anything that day.

Old 01-13-2018, 02:24 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
The homeowner equivalent of that path is to buy a house you can afford on a 10 or 15 year mortgage. I paid off my 15 year mortgage in 2008 and was able to do a massive boost in annual investments, during a period that was one of the most profitable in history. True, dumb luck had a lot to do with that, but when you figure in the lower interest rate and the reduced term, payments on a short term mortgage are not that much higher. Once it is paid off, you have the advantage of more discretionary income in perpetuity.

People who buy more house than they need and stick themselves with a 30 year mortgage are speculating. Borrowing money to speculate on real estate is like buying stocks on margin; you risk major losses.
there are a few flaws in that thinking .

typically it is time in the market , not timing the market that grows money , so the earlier you start , the greater the time spent compounding as well as you will be buying shares cheaper the younger you start channeling money in and the more the better . time is your best friend when it comes to investing and compounding ..

taking a 30 year and having the difference between a 15 year and 30 year to invest over time is likely the better choice at these rates .

you lost lots of years you could have been accumulating more shares at lower prices by dumping more money in to the house . so starting later to get more money in after you pay off the 15 year loses a big advantage -TIME . the 30 year let you channel the difference in 15 years earlier .

is there a discipline issue involved her to get that difference invested earlier ? there sure is . is everyone going to exhibit good investor behavior ? nope ..

does everyone who isn't smart enough to know how to invest going to seek help ? nope .

so there are advantages to both and disadvantages but a BLANKET statement to the effect of dump more money in to the house early on with a 15 year is likely not the best way to do it . the 30 year would produces better results for those who can pull it off .

Last edited by mathjak107; 01-13-2018 at 03:18 AM..

Old 01-13-2018, 05:31 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
typically it is time in the market , not timing the market that grows money , so the earlier you start , the greater the time spent compounding as well as you will be buying shares cheaper the younger you start channeling money in and the more the better . time is your best friend when it comes to investing and compounding
Agreed, trying to prove a point by saying hah I paid off my house and had the extra money right at exact bottom of the market so did great isn't really a useful example. It's the average of investing over many decades that is the reason to make a decision one way or the other, not being one of the suspiciously high percentage of people on message boards who happened to time the great recession perfectly.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:17 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Quote:

Even though that post was a joke 15k is the current annual exclusion but if you exceed that you can simply reduce your lifetime exemption and pay no gifting taxes

Old 01-13-2018, 08:07 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
there are a few flaws in that thinking .

typically it is time in the market , not timing the market that grows money , so the earlier you start , the greater the time spent compounding as well as you will be buying shares cheaper the younger you start channeling money in and the more the better . time is your best friend when it comes to investing and compounding ..

taking a 30 year and having the difference between a 15 year and 30 year to invest over time is likely the better choice at these rates .

you lost lots of years you could have been accumulating more shares at lower prices by dumping more money in to the house . so starting later to get more money in after you pay off the 15 year loses a big advantage -TIME . the 30 year let you channel the difference in 15 years earlier .

is there a discipline issue involved her to get that difference invested earlier ? there sure is . is everyone going to exhibit good investor behavior ? nope ..

does everyone who isn't smart enough to know how to invest going to seek help ? nope .

so there are advantages to both and disadvantages but a BLANKET statement to the effect of dump more money in to the house early on with a 15 year is likely not the best way to do it . the 30 year would produces better results for those who can pull it off .
Buying the most house they can afford is good advice for many people - the large percentage of people who would otherwise spend on consumer goods.

For those of us disciplined enough to invest and stay the course, keeping every dollar possible out of the homeowner “money pit” is the wiser choice.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:27 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
exactly what i said .

Old 01-13-2018, 08:36 AM

1,803 posts, read 1,240,727 times
Quote:
exactly what i said .
Yes.....just dumbed down for the Suze Orman fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics