Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2018, 10:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You paid to "use" something. He paid to "purchase" something.

And of course your neighbor gets the maintenance, property tax and upkeep costs that you don't have.

Something isn't right here. You are expecting the exact same scenario as your neighbor, yet you haven't made the same investment, risk or commitment as your neighbor.

So how is it that using something is more expensive than purchasing the same thing? Who in their right mind would pay more to use something than to purchase it?

Something isn't right here. If I'm paying more, I do not expect to get less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 10:53 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If by "denied" you mean haven't been able to afford to purchase a home, you are correct. Oh well, that's life. Lots of things folks are "denied" because of a lack of funds.

My solution to that is tiny homes. In an unfree world, the homeowner cartel socializes property rights for their collective benefit, contrary to principles of economic liberty.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:05 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
The flaws in what you're saying have already been explained to you dozens of times, please go read through your previous 32k posts on same subject.
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

Old 01-14-2018, 11:15 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've seen it happen where the Grandfather immigrates or sometimes Grandma and Grandpa... work like crazy as a small shop owner, restaurant owner or open a business in one of the trades... the second generation is very much a part of it... they grew up with it... the third not so much... better schools, better neighborhood, cars... toys/vacation... when Grandpa dies the chances of the business continuing dim...

Matters not if they came from Korea, Mexico, Western or Eastern Europe....

I know examples in Tool and Die, Restaurants, Construction... the third generation simply not prepared to keep going and would rather liquidate and coast... sell acquired Real Estate which became quite valuable and all liquidated because no one wanted to work.

One of my friends who spoke with a heavy accent... was concerned his Grand kids attended private school with 40k tuition... grade school... said they are not learning to work but make friends that get a 60k BMW for 16th birthdays... the mom of the Grand-kids said her children were not going to be working summers in the family business fueling the equipment and moving material in the yard...

Looking at the BH&J index all of my Real Estate purchases except one were deep on the Buy side...
Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't matter which culture or business you're talking about. Wanting to sell the business isn't automatically bad, if the business is sold and invested in stocks or whatever, then the grandkids can coast. But the problem with that is it's only enough money to coast at the level of an ordinary middle class lifestyle. So the double whammy that ruins it all is the lack of work ethic AND the high consumption lifestyle.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:17 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
"For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not want to understand, no explanation is possible."
Fixed that for 'ya.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:59 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My solution to that is tiny homes. In an unfree world, the homeowner cartel socializes property rights for their collective benefit, contrary to principles of economic liberty.
So, buy a studio condo. Why does it have to be a free-standing home? You are looking for something that doesn't really exist. What are you doing to change the zoning laws and whatever else that exists in the way of making this a reality? My guess is nothing, except complaining about it here.

Renters have as much right to buy something as anyone else, I really am not getting your insistence that people are being "denied" the opportunity to buy a home. Actually, before the housing crash, pretty much anyone with a pulse could get a mortgage with no money down, but look what happened when things were that lax!

Anyway, most people work and save for years to make that a reality. If that means two, three jobs, gaining more skills and moving up, going without (vacations, restaurants, meat, internet, starbucks, etc, etc, etc), moving to a less expensive area, whatever, most people work hard and make those sacrifices because it's important to them. No one is being handed anything. You're not willing to do any of that so, I guess you're stuck where you are.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
So how is it that using something is more expensive than purchasing the same thing? Who in their right mind would pay more to use something than to purchase it?

Who would pay more to use something? The person who can not afford to buy it and needs someone else to tie up their money which needs to work for them while they work for their money so you can use that item.

I will gladly buy the cow , but you will pay me for doing it so you can have milk.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:31 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:

you seem to think that if mortgage = rent, then the homeowner has the better deal...

but the renter has none of the liability of the homeowner, the renter does not carry the home insurance, pay the property tax, pay the upkeep of the property, and does not keep owe the bank regardless of their job situation

the homeowner can not walk away from the mortgage payment the same way the renter can walk away from rent and move to a different place for a job or a bad neighbor(hood)

if the homeowner is "building" equity, then the renter can also "build" equity in the form of their choice as well, but they choose to not do it with real estate

Old 01-14-2018, 05:28 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
So, buy a studio condo.
That is the beautiful irony of freemkt's "tiny home" jihad, if such a thing became a reality he still wouldn't have the funds or credit to buy one so it would amount to nothing more than one more thing to envy and feel victimized over.

Old 01-14-2018, 07:38 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
The problem with tiny homes is where are you going to put them. They require land just as a mobile home does. Do they not also need sewage and water hook-ups?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics