Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,788,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
There are a zillion tiny homes for sale cheap in every small town in the country. Some of the cheap ones are not that tiny, either. Here is one, 1309 square feet, $45,000, in my wife's original home town:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...88_rect/10_zm/

We don't need to build any more tiny homes. There they are, for the asking.

Of course, it's not in Seattle or San Francisco. You get what you pay for.
Exactly the type of small home I'll be looking for, and intend to find when I'm ready. For one person, you really don't need larger than that. In the meantime, I've been saving every month for future expenses, property taxes, etc. And those type homes are available in many states, not just IN. You just have to plan ahead. I know my budget, and what my price range for such a home will be, and the location I'm interested in living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,080,421 times
Actually there is virtually no reason to buy one of those fancy tiny homes you see on the TV shows. There are lots of small RVs available for very little money.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,799,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That has been going on in Detroit for decades. Any NON "s-holes" where this is happening?
Haiti?

Old 01-16-2018, 02:29 PM

40,932 posts, read 48,909,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Haiti?
Housing is cheap and plenty of 400sqft homes. I hear it's a wonderful place to retire.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:37 PM

8,806 posts, read 4,465,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t really matter in the context of the article, as it’s about middle class people who are getting to old age with inadequate funds (like my mom and also most likely myself) the poor will remain with the degree of help they’ve always had.

I don’t get the “reward†concept. My mother’s assisted living is being paid for by Medicaid after she blew through her savings in a few years once moved in, was $4500 a month then and $9000 a month now). So I guess that’s a boatload of “free stuffâ€. Guess she deserves to live in the street to teach her a lesson for being a secretary and not a CEO?
Of course you don't. If Medicaid were not available, would you let your mother just live in the street? God bless her heart, I don't think she's the one that needs to be taught a lesson.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The earned income tax credit rewards work so there should be a lot more working poor?
lol - the # of folks receiving the EITC is increasing, so, yes. Thanks for your support.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:16 PM

50,195 posts, read 35,890,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
Of course you don't. If Medicaid were not available, would you let your mother just live in the street? God bless her heart, I don't think she's the one that needs to be taught a lesson.
I live in a one-bedroom apartment with 2 flights of stairs, my mother can't do stairs and needs daily medical/wound care. I work full time. I did have her with me for about 2 weeks when I brought her over from Philly after she was discharged from rehab, and we had to hire aides to help her to the bathroom at night because she couldn't get up by herself and called me on my cell phone every 2 hours all night long. We had to pay for another shift while I was at work. It was close to $350 a day for just those 2 shifts, which neither of us could afford for long. I don't know where she'd be if there were no Medicaid, but it wouldn't have been possible for her to stay with me. the days where the little woman didn't work and was home all day and could be a full time caregiver ended long ago.

So please tell me, what is this lesson I need to learn?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-16-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 01-16-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I live in a one-bedroom apartment with 2 flights of stairs, my mother can't do stairs and needs daily medical/wound care. I work full time. I did have her with me for about 2 weeks when I brought her over from Philly after she was discharged from rehab, and we had to hire aides to help her to the bathroom at night because she couldn't get up by herself and called me on my cell phone every 2 hours all night long. We had to pay for another shift while I was at work. It was close to $350 a day for just those 2 shifts, which neither of us could afford for long. I don't know where she'd be if there were no Medicaid, but it wouldn't have been possible for her to stay with me. the days where the little woman didn't work and was home all day and could be a full time caregiver ended long ago.

So please tell me, what is this lesson I need to learn?
Your mother has my sympathy. My mother is relatively young (she's only 94) and all I can say is I would do whatever it took to take care of her and/or my step-father. Ditto for my older siblings.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:25 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,877,340 times
Quote:
Please stop trashing people who don't agree with you. You've done it to me, now you're doing it to ocnjgirl. It's not nice.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM

50,195 posts, read 35,890,986 times
Quote:
Your mother has my sympathy. My mother is relatively young (she's only 94) and all I can say is I would do whatever it took to take care of her and/or my step-father. Ditto for my older siblings.
Can you bemore specific? Tell me exactly how I could have taken care of her, in the circumstances I outlined. It’s very easy to be self righteous and say you would do anything it took, but what it would have taken is caregivers and medical care and the money to afford it as well as the ability for me to give up my apartment and find something bigger to pay for it. So if that money does not exist and my mother does not qualify for any services which she did not then What is this magic formula you would have had me use to take care of her, Again in the exact circumstances I outlined.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-17-2018 at 07:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics