Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 05:25 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VendorDude View Post
You've drunk too much kool-aid. Your understandings are seriously flawed.
Big time,
I really want to know where these section 8 housing projects are that are so glorious. I wonder if it's the prison cell blocks used in the project building that confuses folks.

I go to the food bank tomorrow evening, I've got to show that post to the folks there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
I beg to differ. I often wonder why I continue to work and save considering that my standard of living mimics that of a "welfare queen or king". By the time medicade, section 8, college assistance, food, dental, Obama phones, reduced heating and air, etc etc, .Of course since their offspring are "brown" or poor, they will get their college free as well. And this lifestyle, which by the way, will continue on into retirement. How else will these people survive.

Why do I do what I do. Am I a sucker, or as many of the urban people say, "am I being played". Of course I am. And soon, since I've saved a bit for retirement, our shieety government will basically say I don't deserve social security because I've got a savings, and my social security savings needs to help those less fortunate. Don't give me any crap about poverty...I've already lived through it and overcame....but of course I'm a white male, thus....

Anyway, thanks for letting me rant and rave. Oh and the answer to why I do what I do....because I was brought up that way, because I have pride in myself, because I need to contribute, but....if you strike me as being an angry conservative...well, read the above again, and most will agree with me.
Sorry but I don't agree with you.

So I work with is known as the "deep poor". Philadelphia has the highest % of these for a big city. Now that is people who make less than 12K a year for a family of 4.

LOL first, most do not get to go to college for free, a large % don't graduate from H.S. that's pretty much how generational poor occurs, if they could go to college and get a degree the % is high that thhiney would actually break the cycle.

Obama phones do not exist, cell phone companies get tax break to offer free phones to the poor. Just like Amazon gets huge tax breaks, so basically you don't like who this particular break goes toward. here's the thing, the phone can be free, the minutes are not. That is why most poor are always getting their phones disconnected.

but feel free to go live in the projects if you think you are being sucker.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Big time,
I really want to know where these section 8 housing projects are that are so glorious. I wonder if it's the prison cell blocks used in the project building that confuses folks.

I go to the food bank tomorrow evening, I've got to show that post to the folks there.
I don't know about all being glorious... but nice, well done, great locations, new construction with amenities specifically for low income seniors.

This one in San Francisco is rather glorious and offered through Mercy Housing...

Mercy Housing celebrates opening of Edith Witt Senior Community in San Francisco

Here is a link to my area that caters to Asians and I have visited several of the properties and they are very nice.

All Properties - EBALDC | EBALDC

Here is another sectioned be areas of the country.

Senior Low Income Housing-3

Old 11-28-2017, 08:21 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Obama phones do not exist, cell phone companies get tax break to offer free phones to the poor. Just like Amazon gets huge tax breaks, so basically you don't like who this particular break goes toward.
Err... Amazon is barely profitable. They don't get any tax breaks at all.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't know about all being glorious... but nice, well done, great locations, new construction with amenities specifically for low income seniors.
you mean someone has to be poor for 60+ years before qualifying? easier to become rich at 40 then live the rest of your life not worrying

Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:

This one in San Francisco is rather glorious and offered through Mercy Housing...

Mercy Housing celebrates opening of Edith Witt Senior Community in San Francisco

Here is a link to my area that caters to Asians and I have visited several of the properties and they are very nice.

Low income senior housing is not for welfare queens or whatever you want to call them. It's for people who'e worked their entire lives but don't have enough for thousands of dollars a month for private senior living residences. People like my mother, who raised two kids by herself in the 60's and 70's on a secretaries salary, and at 80 has a whopping $1100 a month SS and a $400 a month pension. My boyfriend's parents are in low income senior housing in Boston, they had a restaurant but didn't make enough to save a million for retirement and are barely scraping by in old age. When we put my mom on the waiting lists, they were YEARS long.

As for younger people, I have a friend with a severe mental illness who lives in a section 8 apartment. She was in group homes her entire life and believe it or not it is much cheaper to have her in a low income apartment. It is the worst area, crime-ridden and she is scared all the time. You are IMO woefully misguided about the realities of how people live.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:48 AM

Quote:

two different things.

Low income housing is usually not for welfare recipients. don't confuse senior assisted living with projects. two radically different things.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
philly is giving them tremendous tax breaks to put their new headquarters here. In fact there is a huge backlash.
They are being promised all kinds of tax breaks that will pretty much leave the city residents to foot the bill. school funding will suffer, city will be on the tab for infrastructure cost.

The Governor of New Jersey promised amazon up to 7 BILLION with a B dollars in tax breaks if it comes to Camden or Newark NJ.

Now of course these are all "promises" so who know where they stand but you get the drift. no matter where they land Amazon will and does get tax breaks.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:30 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
two different things.

Low income housing is usually not for welfare recipients. don't confuse senior assisted living with projects. two radically different things.
I have 30+ years managing residential rentals in the SF Bay Area.

This thread is about Retirement "Crisis" in America.

Many that I managed on Section 8 moved to new Senior Retirement buildings... it was simply a transition from one HUD subsidized unit to another.

They all have Social Security and for many... this is all they have.

Here is a direct quote from the first link I posted:

All units are affordable to seniors at or below HUD's 50 percent AMI. The HUD 202 program will subsidize 95 of the units (so residents will pay 30 percent of their adjusted income for rent and utilities)[/b][/u][/u] and City of San Francisco's Local Operating Support Program will subsidize 11 units (these residents will pay a similar amount for rent and utilities, i.e. 30 percent of their adjusted income). Twenty-seven of the units are reserved for occupancy by homeless seniors referred by the City.

Follow the money

Old 11-29-2017, 09:37 AM

997 posts, read 850,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I hope your kidding. Amazon is whoreing itself (for its second headquarters) out to a dozen or so states to see who will give it the most tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics