Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 08:44 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
they are pocketing the profits either way. its the consumers that are saving when they outsource. the "blame" rests on the consumers/government, not the companies.
Not true at all. Say it costs them $5 per item to manufacture something here, but it only costs $2.50 each to make it in China. So they ship the jobs overseas, charge the same prices they were when the goods were made here, and pocket the difference. This idea that the consumer is saving is utter nonsense, the only one getting richer is the company, and they're doing it by undercutting their own people, the American workforce.

So if tariffs are put in place that bring the costs of those foreign made goods back up to $5 per item, what's that companies incentive to outsource jobs at that point? Remove the profits/motivation to outsource jobs, and jobs won't continue going overseas. Want to do business here in America? You're going to have to pay American wages, if not, peddle your Chinese crap somewhere else! I have no problem with profits, but they have to find other ways of turning a profit than shipping jobs off to unregulated countries with lower wages!

The blame lies with everyone, the consumers, the government AND the company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 09:17 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Companies shouldn’t be able to outsource jobs overseas and bring their slave labor sweatshop goods back into the country scot free and pocket the profits.
^^^^ It sure is a good thing that doesn't happen in the real world.

Quote:
Remove the incentive to outsource jobs, and jobs will no longer be outsourced.
^^^ Correct, which is why we should totally eliminate the US Corporate Income Tax. Not merely reduce it to 20% -- we should flat out kill it off and make sure it remains dead. Then, the giant sucking sound you would hear is the sound of both domestic & foreign corporations relocating their plants & jobs to the USA to take advantage of the zero tax rate.

Currently, corporate income tax receipts amount to about 11% of total tax receipts to the Treasury. We need to make up the difference once we zero out corporate income taxes -- so we should raise income taxes on people. Make it as progressive as you want so that only truly wealthy people pay the bill.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
^^^^ It sure is a good thing that doesn't happen in the real world.

LOL, doesn't happen in the real world, eh? As I said before, if it costs $5 per item to make it in America, but $2.50 to make it in China, they ship the manufacturing overseas, charge the consumers the same prices here, and pocket the profits they made. Put tariffs on imports so that the goods cost $5 each whether they're made here or in China, then manufacturing in China would be pointless, as there's no benefits or savings in doing so!

^^^ Correct, which is why we should totally eliminate the US Corporate Income Tax. Not merely reduce it to 20% -- we should flat out kill it off and make sure it remains dead. Then, the giant sucking sound you would hear is the sound of both domestic & foreign corporations relocating their plants & jobs to the USA to take advantage of the zero tax rate.

Currently, corporate income tax receipts amount to about 11% of total tax receipts to the Treasury. We need to make up the difference once we zero out corporate income taxes -- so we should raise income taxes on people. Make it as progressive as you want so that only truly wealthy people pay the bill.

I don't understand why corporations think they are "above" paying taxes? Nope, lets not follow the law here, let's just relocate to where those laws don't exist! There are so many corporations that would rather go out of business than follow the law (and we should help them along!)

Old 12-07-2017, 10:59 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
The American people are also to blame because all they care about is the price tag, and there's the ever growing demand to make things cheaper and cheaper (often at the expense of quality). Most of the American people are so stupid that they'll spend $10 on something they'll have to replace every couple months instead of paying more upfront for something that will last. "But, the first one is cheaper and I'm saving money Durhh!" Everything today is cheap, chintzy, throwaway crap because nobody cares about quality anymore, only price.
Quit the bashing on Americans. All people around the world are like that. They want the cheapest price. If anything, they care less about quality.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Quit the bashing on Americans. All people around the world are like that. They want the cheapest price. If anything, they care less about quality.
And my whole point of this thread is that if all you care about is price when making a purchase, you're cutting your own throat and will likely end up with a subpar piece of junk. "Durr I'd rather have this $5 tool that breaks the first time I use it than a $25 one that'll last because price is all that matters hurr durr!" Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE when someone buys a POS product, complains about how crappy it is, and yet keeps going back and buying more of it because it's "cheap" YOu go ahead and spend a dollar trying to save a dime (buying a cheap product that breaks often and needs constant replacement), I'll stick with good quality stuff that lasts!

Case in point, my microwave was made in 1987 (in the USA) and it's still going strong with only one repair in 30 years (transformer went bad). Let's see a throwaway Chinese walmart microwave last HALF that long, I'd bet it won't last 3 years. But it only cost $25 to buy a new one so it's better right?? Penny wise and pound foolish!

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 12-07-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 11:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
In some cases that is a valid way to frugality. Many of the power tools available at Harbor Freight are so cheap that you can buy one every year for 3-4 years and still end up paying less than one that's name brand from Lowes, Home Depot or Sears, and most of those are made overseas too. TVs have become so cheap that they are almost disposable, and even the US brand names are made overseas. I remember seeing on that had "Built in USA" in large letters on the box but in tiny print below said "from parts made in China." Westinghouse TVs are made in China, though their corporate offices are in California. Their BBB rating reflects the lack of quality, while many are fooled thinking they are getting a quality US product. Westinghouse, like many other companies, licenses others to use their name.

https://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-re...e-ca-100038066

Old 12-07-2017, 11:41 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,469,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
In some cases that is a valid way to frugality. Many of the power tools available at Harbor Freight are so cheap that you can buy one every year for 3-4 years and still end up paying less than one that's name brand from Lowes, Home Depot or Sears, and most of those are made overseas too. TVs have become so cheap that they are almost disposable, and even the US brand names are made overseas. I remember seeing on that had "Built in USA" in large letters on the box but in tiny print below said "from parts made in China." Westinghouse TVs are made in China, though their corporate offices are in California. Their BBB rating reflects the lack of quality, while many are fooled thinking they are getting a quality US product. Westinghouse, like many other companies, licenses others to use their name.

https://www.bbb.org/sdoc/business-re...e-ca-100038066
This is very old news. Used to be Japanese stuff. I still have and use some 'throw away' Japp screw drivers I bought in the early '60's.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:38 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Buying from local companies is mostly upside. Especially small ones based in your neighborhood. I try to do that.
Why would you want to support an inefficient, obsolete retailing system? I just spent several months driving through the country. Typically the Walmart supercenter is orders of magnitude better than the previous stores. The prices and selection are better. I know, someone is going to say Walmart sells cheap stuff. They sell the qualityrice choices that most people want.

Except for gas and food, I buy almost everything through the internet. I do shop at some local stores. Those tend to be the stores that offer services that are not readily available through the internet.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Case in point, my microwave was made in 1987 (in the USA) and it's still going strong with only one repair in 30 years (transformer went bad). Let's see a throwaway Chinese walmart microwave last HALF that long, I'd bet it won't last 3 years. But it only cost $25 to buy a new one so it's better right?? Penny wise and pound foolish!

That is a great example. That microwave you bought in 1987 cost between $500 - $1000 on today's dollars. All of the old one's I bought in the past burned out and had to be replaced. My current one was made in South Korea and is running with no signs of a problem for the past 10 years. I did not know you could buy a microwave for $25 but I suppose anyone who buys at that level can expect to get a cheap appliance that might not last.

When people talk about the great quality of American goods in the good old days, I cannot help but think about the auto industry. In the 50s, 60s and 70s, US makers produced real junk. Cars rusted out or fell apart after about 3 years and were lucky to make it to 50,000 miles without serious repairs. Remember the sabotage that occurred? Or the concerns about buying a car made on a Monday or a Friday? It took the influx of Japanese models to even start to address the issues. For Ford, "quality is job 1" even today. The reason for quality being job 1 is they are still behind.

Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Walmart Sucks!
If you want to see what sucked, stop at any small town or city and see what was there before Walmart arrived.

I would love to know where you live and what is so much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics