Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 05:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,479,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't know anyone, of any economic stratum outside the TrumpDashians, who doesn't think college is expensive. Just because $200k is a month's investment income doesn't make it negligible.

And... truly qualified students, and children of alumni, often pay less to go to a top-tier university than Joe Whitecollar's kid pays to go to University of Midwestergan. Discounted tuition, grants, bequests, scholarships - I personally know someone who went through Yale for less than $100k in his costs, in part because he was a fourth-gen alumnus.
i dont think college is expensive sure it isn't cheap, but that doesn't mean it is expensive

accounting for all the financial aid (not loans), college IS pretty affordable

the only time when college isn't affordable is when people take out loans for living costs, and well... yeah, anyone trying to live anywhere for years on end without an income and relying on loans is going to end up in debt. This happens with or without college as an excuse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 07:54 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
Quote:
No one who lived through the decade or so after Prop 13 has much regard for its consequences, other than the minority who chuckled over their absurdly low property taxes.

Most of the damage has been fixed in the last ten years, largely by Jerry Brown's policies.
I lived through it and even though I was too young to have voted for it at the time... the double digit property tax increases at a time of Gas Lines and High Unemployment were very real to a kid...

Still remember the look on my father's face opening the tax bill and saying we were out of options... he was doing the best he could... working 6 days a week and the property tax increased floored him... as it did several of our neighbors... no one was laughing... most were just trying to survive.

By the way... Dad was PTA President of my grade school and had also taught Public High School before I was born.

No one is more familiar with Prop 13 than Governor Brown... he has repeatedly said Prop 13 is settled law and he is not going to waste political capital tilting at windmills.

If anyone should have an ax to grind it would be me... my property tax went to $8800 from the $1200 my sellers were paying... thing Sacramento forgets is property owners are not ATM's for politicians...

Besides... I live in Oakland CA and the voters here have been very generous when it comes to adding new assessments... I think 24 on my tax bill...

California is not a cheap tax State...

As for Prop 13... I fully intend to live here for 30 and 40 years and fully expect the predictability Prop 13 provides to be instrumental in doing that.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:01 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,432,187 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone, of any economic stratum outside the TrumpDashians, who doesn't think college is expensive. Just because $200k is a month's investment income doesn't make it negligible.

And... truly qualified students, and children of alumni, often pay less to go to a top-tier university than Joe Whitecollar's kid pays to go to University of Midwestergan. Discounted tuition, grants, bequests, scholarships - I personally know someone who went through Yale for less than $100k in his costs, in part because he was a fourth-gen alumnus.
There are not enough top-tier universities to educate all... the rest of us simply do the best we can doing 2 years at community college and transferring to State for the last two...

The only people I know going to private Universities did so with scholarships... academic or athletic..

My brother is a CAL grad... paid his own way... we all did... none of us went off to school... it would have made college not affordable.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,676,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There are not enough top-tier universities to educate all... the rest of us simply do the best we can doing 2 years at community college and transferring to State for the last two...
Yes, that's the accepted solution. I question the nature of the problem, from the roots up.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:39 PM

7,473 posts, read 3,982,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.

Excellent idea.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:56 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,526,742 times
More and more kids are studying abroad than staying in the US. A full year of tuition in the US costs more than the costs of 4 years tuition elsewhere. That's only if Americans have no problems studying and staying abroad. Say go to Canada.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:14 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,676,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
More and more kids are studying abroad than staying in the US. A full year of tuition in the US costs more than the costs of 4 years tuition elsewhere. That's only if Americans have no problems studying and staying abroad. Say go to Canada.
It need not only be a question of money. My daughter, who has a... comfortable education fund, went to Toronto for a better opportunity at an arts college. And will probably pocket some of said fund in the end.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:19 AM

779 posts, read 466,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

Would you want to hire someone who attended community college over someone who got into Penn as a freshman?
Coin flip in real life. Maybe 70-30 for the the PSU.

I'd rather hire someone who is hungry and humble.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:57 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,272,374 times
Honestly, I think it's the room & board at many schools that does in the college budget. It's just really expensive to have a young person living away from home, and there's no way around it for many students. Even when commuting was possible, the schools my kids attended required students to live on campus for at least the first year, which more than doubled the cost of their college educations. And living on the local economy isn't necessarily any cheaper. When we ran the numbers, the least expensive option was usually living in a dorm with as large a fridge/freezer as possible and cooking in the communal kitchen.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-15-2018 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,201,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
You want to reduce the cost of college, get rid of the athletics and the multi million dollar coaches. They should be institutions of learning, not training facilities for the NFL & NBA.
Wow interesting perspective. Never thought about it from that specific perspective, I like..

Like anything and EVERYTHING, college is just a business selling "education". That's their product. The free market decides whether or not there is a demand for that product just like any other product. Hence some people get manipulated into buying an education and degree that has no real world demand, thanks to the great marketing of universities and colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics