Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 10:12 PM

63 posts, read 43,878 times

Advertisements

Just throwing out a general question.

As a digital marketer, I'm curious what the overall effect Trump's economic policies have had on the profession, especially regarding opportunities for employment.

Last edited by LeeWong; 01-11-2018 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
they are not Trump's policies...

Economic growth (allowing companies to expand or be more tax efficient) is a great advantage to 'service / technical (especially CAPITAL ASSET intensive companies).

Tech can be Capital intensive, but generally is NOT (leased hardware and temp workforce = VERY cheap and low risk / LOW economic advantage (to the country))

Now Tech as in an Intel / AMD IC factory!!! That is where economic stability / payrolls / technology gains will help ALL!!! (in USA... not so much in the countries who have been feeding at the pig trough and lapping up USA innovation)

Most successful countries have a very strategic PLAN... the USA (run with the 2 and 4 yr objective) has no PLAN.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:31 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWong View Post
As a digital marketer, I'm curious what the overall effect Trump's economic policies have had on the profession, especially regarding opportunities for employment.
Huh. Doesn't being a marketer, especially a trendy niche one, depend on doing a lot of research and analysis? Or is it all just about Googlelytics these days?

Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,886 times
Trump has disproportionately helped tech and digital marketing as we compete internationally in those sectors and the tax package was mainly based on helping us become more internationally competitive. Tech stocks have outperformed the market as a whole since last November.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 AM

834 posts, read 528,202 times
Great. Maybe there will be some marketing jobs for some of the tens of thousands of solar workers who will soon be out of work because of Trump.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:14 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Great. Maybe there will be some marketing jobs for some of the tens of thousands of solar workers who will soon be out of work because of Trump.
No, but they can go build washing machines in LG and Samsung's new US plants.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:20 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
I think Trump's policy of Twitter blather, and subsequent electoral victory (as well as Russian bots and ad spending on Facebook, etc.) have increased the visibility of, and focus on, digital marketing. I can't think of anything he has done that would significantly impact it in the sense of government policy.

Old 01-27-2018, 05:15 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
I don't see any policy at all out of Trump. Congress passed a corporate income tax cut. Trump signed it but it wasn't his policy. Any non-Democrat President would have signed it. In terms of the national economy, tariffs on solar panels and washing machines won't budge the needle at all.

My stock portfolio looks great. I'm getting worried that we're due for another giant correction. Dubya juiced the economy right before his re-election when it should have been allowed to go into a mild recession. We've now been juicing the economy since 2009. The correction is going to be ugly.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:14 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

My stock portfolio looks great. I'm getting worried that we're due for another giant correction. Dubya juiced the economy right before his re-election when it should have been allowed to go into a mild recession. We've now been juicing the economy since 2009. The correction is going to be ugly.
The correction will happen no later than 2020. Housing markets are already soft.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWong View Post
Just throwing out a general question.

It has little to do with Trump. There's been a boom in tech because of the large expansion in military spending due to the many wars the US is involved in (130+ countries), the introduction of the smartphone and the migration of consumer applications to the handheld, and the buildout of fab capacity in mainland China for MIC 2025. Every boom cycle in communications and semis reverberates to other tech sectors. There will probably be a more severe bust due to the redundancies being created as was the case with CLECs and the first-to-market internet startups in 2001 and housing investment bubble in 2006. I tend to think that there is still some time. QE is still ongoing, though winding down.

The large cap techs hoarded the most money offshore for 15 years because of their high profit margins. They're buying back stock which flows through to their executives who are cashing out. The data indicates heavy insider selling as well as high levels of put buying on large cap techs to protect gains on sales that will occur in the next tax year.

Last edited by lchoro; 09-03-2018 at 09:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics