Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 10:30 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

Im a field marketing coordinator for a large convenience store chain, we hire our cashiers in at minimum wage, which is currently 7.25. I believe they should be getting at least 15. or more.

The days where these kinds of jobs being staffed by kids going to school, retirees, other part time workers, are over, its now people in their 20s up thru 60s, trying to support a family on these jobs, times change, I guess some people cannot recognize that, they are stuck in the 60s, 70s and 80s.

However I would not then think I suddenly deserve a raise too, Im already making enough to support myself, I do not have to rely on Govt assistance to make up the difference either.

Im not sure why so many people that are already making well above minimum wage, would think they should be getting raises too...LOL, its not about them and their pay, its already at a decent level
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 11:25 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im a field marketing coordinator for a large convenience store chain, we hire our cashiers in at minimum wage, which is currently 7.25. I believe they should be getting at least 15. or more.............
Why? It is a low skilled job with plenty of applicants to cover the demand. As time goes on more and more of these jobs will be replaced. Self checkout and more efficient operations will continue to reduce the need for labor. All of that assumes that the stores survive. Many will not as we are already seeing a shift towards online buying.

Those who "should" earn more need to think about getting skills that are and will be in demand. The whole notion of raising a family or having a solid middle class lifestyle on a bottom, low skilled job makes no sense to me. Instead of handing out money in the form of a minimum wage, everyone would be better off with free or more affordable educational opportunities. Sadly, many people have not taken advantage of the free and mandatory opportunities they were already given.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Folks who gain more in monetary earnings are more likely to manage staying above water on basic needs. If my neighbor can now pay her heat each winter or get her pet some much needed care by earning a livable wage...then by golly it's all good.

ReTail/convenience stores make a killing on products. they rise to the occasion on paying staff poorly. Don't even get me started on wait staff that for years has tolerated $2 wage and secretly demands the customer to pay up in tips . Guess what ? That restaurant wants the wait staff to be groveling for tips instead of growing a backbone and telling the owner to pay properly. Wait staff is misdirecting their angst to the wrong entity. I worked in fine dining...when the chef makes 60k and the minions make 10k,there is a problem. The owner always pays himself first...

Old 01-14-2018, 12:31 PM

The wait staff and retail clerks are free to take their skills elsewhere and get better paying jobs and jobs with career potential.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:58 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,208,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
The wait staff and retail clerks are free to take their skills elsewhere and get better paying jobs and jobs with career potential.
If everyone did this there would be no retail workers.

Our system depends on an underclass of unskilled workers.

We already have skilled workers having to work these positions.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:43 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,572,686 times
The large firms are subject to the new regulations at an earlier date. The states are essentially boosting their pay above the level where they would qualify for Medicaid, food stamps, school free lunch, and other programs. Medicaid alone costs about $7K per person.

Those people receiving the boost are quite late in the line. Other industries, such as finance, real estate, technology, defense, and others, have been receiving trillions of dollars in aid for the last ten years, if not longer.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:10 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
Sadly higher wages drive the push towards increased efficiency and automation. That drives a decrease in jobs.
There is no evidence to support that higher wages is the trigger for automation. If that was true then we would be seeing more automation in the high wage Pacific states and less automation in the low wage Southern states. There is no evidence that automation is being implemented on a regional basis. In other words, automation is happening no matter what the wages are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2BP View Post
In economics things have a trade off.
Not always. You might want to read up on the concept of inelasticity, where prices, output, employment, etc. do not always respond to changes in conditions in a linear way.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:15 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,914,836 times
Just wait they will jack up all the prices to offset any savings that you do make. The bottomess pit workers as they are called will suffer the most again. Its the top heavy business owners who are hording and being greedy.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If everyone did this there would be no retail workers.

Our system depends on an underclass of unskilled workers.

We already have skilled workers having to work these positions.
There is no shortage of unskilled workers for retail jobs. If that ever occurs, wages will go up in order to attract enough people to work in retail. In most parts of the country skilled workers are in high demand. College educated are also in high demand with less than 3% unemployment for the past several years.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:50 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im a field marketing coordinator for a large convenience store chain, we hire our cashiers in at minimum wage, which is currently 7.25. I believe they should be getting at least 15. or more.
They would be shifted to self serve, and be unemployed. Feel better now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics