Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2018, 09:45 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
If by 'new' you mean the last 20 years.
Ah. Well, to most of the world, doing something involved with technology is not considered a tech job. Your definition would include fry cooks and cashiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:23 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,097 times
Actually, by my definition it is around creating technology - designing products and services, building the code and hardware, and leveraging the results. A user of technology does not have the kind of tech job I’m talking about.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Actually, by my definition it is around creating technology - designing products and services, building the code and hardware, and leveraging the results. A user of technology does not have the kind of tech job I’m talking about.
So Etsy is populated by tech workers?

You're free to make up and use any definitions you like, but by the time you're calling an architect or a builder a tech worker the term becomes nearly meaningless.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

You're free to make up and use any definitions you like, but by the time you're calling an architect or a builder a tech worker the term becomes nearly meaningless.
You have no understanding of the modern tech industry - think Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
You have no understanding of the modern tech industry - think Google, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.
So what color is the sky on your planet?

Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,471,839 times
Quote:

AFAIK, they do have some ties to tech since they heavily utilize computers and software as part of their work? Simulations, CAD, and other analysis?
If not, I'd like to get a clarification.

Old 02-02-2018, 01:24 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
... The full time people that we recruit are very highly skilled and experienced and drawn from a competitive global market. They are highly mobile and often work remotely. No one cares where they live. And they all get paid the same based on ability to contribute, not location or COL.

... I can't 'pay them less' because they live in a lower COL area because their job market isn't Detroit, it's the world. Their value to an organization, and thus their salary, is already scaled. ...
Your example is one where (1) the job requires actual expertise, as opposed to mere competence; and (2) it can be decentralized. Most people - even engineers, architects or lawyers - can't be fully effective if 100% remote. They need to sit together in an actual office, interacting face-to-face. The exceptions are very senior people, who are not only independent themselves, but can direct teams remotely.

A more topical example would be say civil engineers, who need to be on-site, taking measurements of the construction-area. Presumably civil engineers would be paid more in Manhattan, NY, than in Manhattan, Kansas.

My own work is scientific/engineering, of an experimental sort. I can process data or write paper from a remote location, but to actually take data, I have to be in the lab. And a lab requires infrastructure - somebody to worry about the climate control and the building security, to bring in supplies, to repair equipment, and so forth. I moved from a thriving coastal area, to a moribund Midwestern one, because that's where the lab happened to be located. I'd love to live in NYC or SF or Seattle, but I can't do my job from there.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
AFAIK, they do have some ties to tech since they heavily utilize computers and software as part of their work? Simulations, CAD, and other analysis?
If not, I'd like to get a clarification.
He's casually lumping architects and builders in with Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel etc. as "tech companies." Of course nearly all companies use tech, but the $2500 cash register doesn't make the McDonalds down the street part of the tech sector. Except in his... unique view.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:26 PM

9,846 posts, read 7,709,490 times
Quote:
He's casually lumping architects and builders in with Google, Apple, Microsoft, Intel etc. as "tech companies." Of course nearly all companies use tech, but the $2500 cash register doesn't make the McDonalds down the street part of the tech sector. Except in his... unique view.
And here I thought he was talking about tech architects and tech builders, the ones who design and manage whole tech systems:

A technical architect acts as a liaison between the upper management of a company and the designers and developers who work on the company’s information technology (IT) needs. The technical architect must anticipate and identify these IT needs and design a solution, and they must make sure the solution works as efficiently as possible for all parties involved. It also is possible for technical architects to specialize in a specific part of an IT framework, such as security. However, most technical architects are responsible for improving end-user experience or ensuring a company’s internal digital framework works smoothly.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
And here I thought he was talking about tech architects and tech builders, the ones who design and manage whole tech systems:
If he is, he's been pretty garbled in expressing it. I guess he thinks he's in a tech insider forum where there's only one definition of each term.

I know full well what an architect is in the tech world, but "builder" is a new one, and in combination I think I.M. Pei & Associates and Teichert Construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics