Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 09:30 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Rent burdened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 12:15 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,484,217 times
We are the opposite: house rich and cash poor.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:16 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Rent burdened.
Roof and wall challenged.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:30 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I did not find that in Investorpedia.

11 million renters spend at least half their income on shelter. They're all foolish?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They are also house poor.
In some instances, when you spend a lot of rent, you save in other ways so it all comes out in the wash.

I spend a lot on rent to live downtown Fort Lauderdale but I hardly ever drive my car. I walk everywhere. My husband and I only have one car because we never drive so we've eliminated a second car payment and insurance.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM

519 posts, read 582,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Foolish.
I was going to go: idiot... but foolish works too! ;-)

Old 01-31-2018, 01:28 PM

801 posts, read 615,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
We are the opposite: house rich and cash poor.
House poor means that so much of your money is spent on housing (or is sitting in your housing investment) that you're effectively poor from having so little left for other things.

Cash poor is not a thing unless a currency collapses. You are not poor from putting your money in cash.

You are house poor.

Old 01-31-2018, 03:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I call them people on the verge of not being able to pay their rent, which means that landlords will start having to liquidate their holding at the same time; thus, driving the entire housing market into the ground.

Think about one of the main industries currently at risk: Retail

Retail goes under, these goes a large portion of the renter market.

Then rents should necessarily plummet, right?

Old 01-31-2018, 03:21 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I would imagine anyone that overspends on anything would be h̶o̶u̶s̶e̶ poor...

If the cheapest housing you can find costs $N and your income is $1.5N, did you really overspend on housing? Did you have a better alternative?

Old 01-31-2018, 03:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
...what is the term for those who spend too much on home rentership?

A house poor is a situation that describes a person who spends a large proportion of his or her total income on home ownership, including mortgage payments, property taxes, maintenance and utilities. House poor individuals are short of cash for discretionary items and tend to have trouble meeting other financial obligations like vehicle payments.
I've noticed people who buy bigger homes than what they can truly afford, didn't consider the higher property taxes, higher utility bills (heating and cooling) that come with a large home. A friend of mine bought a McMansion to impress her friends and boasted about how big her home was, a few month later, in the summer, she was in shock about her air conditioning bill, it was over a thousand dollars. I was thinking, are you really that dumb? You live in a big house. Of course it's going to cost more money to cool and heat more square feet. Duh. I have zero sympathy for these people. They choose to live beyond their means to impress other people, so they can deal with the consequences.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
How does that work? Principal is reduced (the equivalent of) one dollar per month over 1200 months?
When I owned a house in Scotland, the mortgage payments only went to interest. Within the escrow was included a life-insurance policy against me, it was to mature after so many years and automatically roll-over to pay-off the principal.

Somehow the UK banking industry had worked out life insurance to be 'better' for the customer than mortgages.

Other cultures do different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics