Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 09:57 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Nonsense, it doesn't cost that much more to eat healthy. It's more about the knowledge and the effort.
Yeah, I'm getting tired of the "it costs a lot to eat healthy" assertions.

No, it doesn't.

Bananas are cheap.

Oatmeal is cheap.

Beans & lentils are cheap.

All are nutritious.

It's more about ignorance, laziness, the fact that we subsidize corn production to make corn syrup, and the fact that people are allowed to buy soda and junk food with foods stamps.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:03 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Do you have any idea what community colleges cost these days? In 2009 I spent $1500 in just one quarter. I can pure-D guarantee you the cost has almost doubled by now. And even a certificate needs at least 6 to 8 quarters. Where in high heaven do you think that money will come from?
associates degree can be had in 4. many states offer scholarships tied to lottery, low GPAs get you one.

Tn pays for those 2 years, in full, at any state community college.

McJobs have hardly helped the OP escape from his boarder lifestyle have they. Excuses also have not helped the OP.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:20 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
associates degree can be had in 4. many states offer scholarships tied to lottery, low GPAs get you one.

Tn pays for those 2 years, in full, at any state community college.

McJobs have hardly helped the OP escape from his boarder lifestyle have they. Excuses also have not helped the OP.
Walmart pays tuition at universities through an M.B.A. However, the employee must wish to take advantage of this extraordinary benefit.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:51 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Walmart pays tuition at universities through an M.B.A. However, the employee must wish to take advantage of this extraordinary benefit.

OP wastes time trying to peddle stuff on websites, instead of productive things like seeking more education that actually has market value.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:20 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yeah, I'm getting tired of the "it costs a lot to eat healthy" assertions.

No, it doesn't.

Bananas are cheap.

Oatmeal is cheap.

Beans & lentils are cheap.

All are nutritious.

It's more about ignorance, laziness, the fact that we subsidize corn production to make corn syrup, and the fact that people are allowed to buy soda and junk food with foods stamps.
eating unhealthy can still be even cheaper and with a bigger assortment of stuff .

you can eat ramen noodles in endless varieties for about .29 cents , i loved the chef boyar-dee stuff which can still be under a buck . mac and cheese is great . i can go to the asian super market by us and get all sorts of cheap eats in the frozen section . a buck can feed both of us with great tasting stuff . but it is always way to much salt , fat or sugar and most still has msg .

it all depends what you want to eat and a comparison to healthy vs unhealthy can be skewed either way .

my own healthy eating is far more expensive because i am on a diabetic diet and eat as much in diversified stuff as i can and a bowl of beans and oat meal is not my idea of how i want to eat daily ..

we saw our food bill jump by about 35 a week compared to my old diet .

comparing food is like comparing housing costs . areas vary greatly on what different products cost and we all don't want to live where the cheapest rents are so yeah you can get an apartment for very little rent or you can spend a fortune for rent .

but typically when many of us switch diets we tend to spend more than we did because most fish and meat will cost more than beans , pasta and oatmeal .

it is all about personal choices and what we like . if i was as a bachelor i would be content on a lot of that cheap unhealthy stuff i listed if i could eat it it because i find i like the taste . i can't stand oat meal and would take a can of chef boyar-dee over it any day.

so this comparison becomes like buy vs rent . the numbers can be cheaper if you force them one way or another to be that way .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-04-2018 at 02:31 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 02:46 AM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
eating unhealthy can still be even cheaper and with a bigger assortment of stuff .

you can eat ramen noodles in endless varieties for about .29 cents , i loved the chef boyar-dee stuff which can still be under a buck . mac and cheese is great . i can go to the asian super market by us and get all sorts of cheap eats in the frozen section . a buck can feed both of us with great tasting stuff . but it is always way to much salt , fat or sugar and most still has msg .

it all depends what you want to eat and a comparison to healthy vs unhealthy can be skewed either way .

my own healthy eating is far more expensive because i am on a diabetic diet and eat as much in diversified stuff as i can and a bowl of beans and oat meal is not my idea of how i want to eat daily ..

we saw our food bill jump by about 35 a week compared to my old diet .

comparing food is like comparing housing costs . areas vary greatly on what different products cost and we all don't want to live where the cheapest rents are so yeah you can get an apartment for very little rent or you can spend a fortune for rent .

but typically when many of us switch diets we tend to spend more than we did because most fish and meat will cost more than beans , pasta and oatmeal .

it is all about personal choices and what we like . if i was as a bachelor i would be content on a lot of that cheap unhealthy stuff i listed if i could eat it it because i find i like the taste . i can't stand oat meal and would take a can of chef boyar-dee over it any day.

so this comparison becomes like buy vs rent . the numbers can be cheaper if you force them one way or another to be that way .
Just like being financially well off, you have to want to. Just as you grew up in the projects and thought--"Heck no, this isn't for me", you have to do the same with food. People have to start saying "No, it's not inevitable that I will end up fat, diabetic, with high blood pressure, etc. I'm not going to let myself get fat and diabetic. I don't want to be dependent on a bunch of expensive pills. F those pharmaceutical companies. I know I can do better". The information is out there. You can get great cookbooks for free at the library or online.

I could make you some oatmeal with banana, cinnamon, & sesame seeds and I bet you would like it--and it's cheap.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:55 AM

i just hate that oatmeal consistency ....
eating healthy is one thing , but the constant arguing about which way is cheaper is nonsense because it can be skewed either way .

but in our own case without resorting to the cheapest foods in either category we have found that since i became diabetic food on average costs quite a bit more . the unhealthy foods i liked were just cheaper than the healthier things i like . i was a big pasta lover for one thing .

if i had to to eat one way or another based on just price i would still find the unhealthy category cheaper , better tasting and far more varied if i had to .there is just something to be said about the taste of those cheap lower end unhealthy foods that people have loved for decades . i would take a whooper and fries any day over a salad with some chicken and beans if i could .

thankfully i have a wife who watches everything i eat like a hawk ha ha ha . she is baby sitting next week for 9 days and i will be without adult supervision . 2x a year my daughter inlaw has extended trips as she is an executive with the NBA . we have a place near us that does the most amazing st louis ribs .

the first night she is gone i have the traditional wife's away 1/2 rack of ribs combo . it is so funny because every time i go in there the owner is like , i guess it is the wife's away combo . i do sub the mashed with gravy for cucumber salad and steamed vegetables though lol

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-04-2018 at 03:29 AM..

Old 02-04-2018, 05:14 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Can be, but doesn't have to be.

That's the point being made here, that the tired "oh but it's so much more expensive to eat healthy so poor people are forced to eat junk" is way overstated. The biggest factors in choosing to eat an unhealthy diet are effort and knowledge, not cost. There are plenty of websites and blogs that demonstrate a healthy diet from basic food that can be bought in any grocery store for as cheap as the prepackaged junk food, but one has to actually cook instead of just opening cans or boxes to add boiling water.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Seriously? I remember a friend of mine telling me when she was younger, she and her husband used to go without food so their kids could eat. They would tell the kids that mom and dad had already eaten. Her husband was working for the fire department and would later become a fire chief. I assure you, they were not buying beer, dope, tobacco, or lottery tickets.
Fire fighters and support staff make good money. If they dont have money its because they spent it unwisely. I know a lot of fire fighters cops and support staff. Trust me they make money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So where would those people go to expand their skill set?
Gee I think you’ve been told that plenty of times. Yet here you are........complaining....again.....about the same stuff you always complain about.....again.

23,000 posts.....here’s a idea.......Get off the net and get a second job.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Can be, but doesn't have to be.

That's the point being made here, that the tired "oh but it's so much more expensive to eat healthy so poor people are forced to eat junk" is way overstated. The biggest factors in choosing to eat an unhealthy diet are effort and knowledge, not cost. There are plenty of websites and blogs that demonstrate a healthy diet from basic food that can be bought in any grocery store for as cheap as the prepackaged junk food, but one has to actually cook instead of just opening cans or boxes to add boiling water.

which is why i said trying to compare is silly . we all have our likes in unhealthy food and we all know what we like in healthy food .

going from what you like in unhealthy food to healthy food with few choice or things you don't enjoy because it is cheap is not a good comparison for those who have choices in life . .

like i said , it is like telling someone they don't have to spend so much in rent in a high cost area because rent in a low cost is cheaper , but you don't want to live there it is a moot point . if you have choices you don't have to take the cheapest way out .

if i was really poor to be honest i think i would take my chances eating the unhealthy stuff just because personally it tastes better and i would find it difficult living daily , day after day on what my choices would be to stay low down and dirty in price and eat healthier . nor would i want all the work preparing all that stuff in some fashion so it tastes better .

the cost difference is only what it means to you and whether what you are buying works for you . i have enough of a problem finding things to eat as a diabetic on no meds . 90% of the supermarket is stuff i shouldn't have . so our healthy eating includes lots of fish ,seafood , stews with meat , etc .. my wife is pretty good at making crock pot stuff . but it cost what it cost .

we used have a lot of carb based meals which were cheaper but those are out .

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-04-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics