Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 01:43 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I can only conclude that you live in such a nonstandard rental arrangement that your endless arguments about how it is and how it should be are not connected to a situation that can ever make sense.

You may as well be arguing the problems of homeowners from a cardboard box under a bridge.

My room is 8'x8'.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:18 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
And free internet to make 32000+++ posts whining about stuff.
To be fair, free internet/WiFi is VERY easy to find these days... some entire towns (like Mountain View CA) have it, as do libraries, restaurants, stores, etc. And why is everyone being so mean to the OP? Maybe I don't know their posting history, but they do make some good points here. I'm a renter myself, in THE most expensive U.S. market, and know what it's like to spend 60%+ on rent - then struggle to buy everything else I need, sometimes including food. Yeah, the original link is a duh, but there are some issue to discuss here.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
My room is 8'x8'.
And that's a pretty nonstandard rental. At least, too far off the mainstream to be used as a basis for endless arguments about renting issues.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
And free internet to make 32000+++ posts whining about stuff.

There Ain't No Such Thing As Free Internet. (TANSTAFI)

And thank you for reminding me, my internet bill isn't due for three weeks but I think I'll go pay it today.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Nobody "gets" anything" from an employer. You work for it. You pay for it. You are what you make yourself to be.

I had a janitor job where some of my co-workers "got" health insurance, paid holidays/vacation/sick time, and retirement benefits that I didn't "get". I did the same work as they did, so how did they "work" for it and I didn't? Did I get a bum deal?

Old 02-06-2018, 02:30 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
.... People moving into Section 8 housing spend on average ~$100/mo more on food than they spent previously.
Of course they do. Someone else is paying their rent!
If someone started paying people's mortgages, homeowners spending would alter as well.
So it all boils down to having MORE MONEY.

After reading this I think discussing 'the opression of renters by owners' with you is like banging one's head against the wall; it only feels good when you stop.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I could make you some oatmeal with banana, cinnamon, & sesame seeds and I bet you would like it--and it's cheap.
Ugh, no. I know you weren't talking to me, but I personally hate bananas AND oatmeal - so that sounds disgusting to me, even though I'm sure you make it very well. We all have different taste buds!

Old 02-06-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
There Ain't No Such Thing As Free Internet. (TANSTAFI)
Did you see what I just wrote above? There are many ways to get free internet, just maybe not from the comfort of your own home. I work at a public library, and the same folks are there EVERY SINGLE DAY to use our internet and/or computers... some (who have their own devices) even park or sit outside after closing to continue using it, since we leave the servers running 24/7.

Old 02-06-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Can be, but doesn't have to be.

That's the point being made here, that the tired "oh but it's so much more expensive to eat healthy so poor people are forced to eat junk" is way overstated. The biggest factors in choosing to eat an unhealthy diet are effort and knowledge, not cost. There are plenty of websites and blogs that demonstrate a healthy diet from basic food that can be bought in any grocery store for as cheap as the prepackaged junk food, but one has to actually cook instead of just opening cans or boxes to add boiling water.
Yes but not everyone knows how, or has the time, to cook every night - and if you're single, what happens to all of those ingredients when you're done? The perishable stuff goes bad in a few days, and then you're literally throwing away that money. This is the main issue I have, as a single person with no roommates and a fairly small appetite. Some things can be bought in "single size," like a single stalk of celery or lettuce, while other things like bread and meat HAVE to be purchased in larger quantities. You know how many times I've thrown away hamburger buns, for example, because I could only eat 2-3 of the 6-8 before they got moldy? Milk, too, since I can't drink it straight (only used for stuff like cereal and pancakes), and they don't sell small enough cartons for my usage.

And on the flip side, I read an interesting article recently (will try to find it later), which discussed how lower-income people can't often take advantage of bulk quantity deals. For example, you can save a LOT of money by shopping at Costco, or even by just taking advantage of "buy one/get one" type deals at regular markets. But people on fixed/low incomes don't often have that much money to spend at ONE time, are taking public transit, and/or lack the storage space in their homes. So they're forced to shop in smaller quantities, and lose out on potentially hundreds of dollars in savings over the year. Recently I had a little extra money in my monthly budget, so I specifically went "bulk shopping" at Walmart, Petsmart, and Big Lots to load up (on mostly non-perishables) for the month. Felt good.

Last edited by gizmo980; 02-06-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Of course they do. Someone else is paying their rent!
If someone started paying people's mortgages, homeowners spending would alter as well.
So it all boils down to having MORE MONEY.

After reading this I think discussing 'the opression of renters by owners' with you is like banging one's head against the wall; it only feels good when you stop.

Homeowners already earn 2x the median income of renters, so food costs aren't an issue for most homeowners.

And taxpayers already do subsidize the mortgage payments of homeowners with mortgage interest deduction and SALT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics