Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 07:05 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
I’ll answer it for you. People can afford the rent just fine. That’s why the landlords can continue to command that rent.

Your wage isn’t high enough to support you living in that area.

Which is why, if you want to stay in the lowest income class, which can generally be done in any city, you should do that labor in a less desireable area....

Or you could compete for a higher paying job...and be able to afford the rent (or a home) in the desireable area.

You’re welcome.

People can "afford" the rent because the alternative is often homelessness, which can turn into a downward spiral. The fact that 11 million renters pay at least half their income for shelter indicates that Americans have inelastic demand for housing - it's just about the last thing they give up when money is short.

On the ground, most people cope with unaffordable rents by skimping on food, healthcare, and everything else. Moving from "unaffordable" to "affordable" housing (e.g. by getting a Section 8 voucher and a rent subsidy) magically frees up an average of over $100/mo in increased food spending, as well as increased spending on other things.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually, food insecurity does distort the food buying and consumption patterns of many people. When I have extra cash, I stock up on nonperishables because I assume that at some point in the near future I will be broke. I don't stuff it in, I just hoard it for a rainy day.
I knew several Depression-era kids who could not stand being very far from about 100 cans of food.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:10 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
How about "people with food insecurity more like to rent than buy"?

Be careful about correlation and causation.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
This don't impress me much... (Shania)
I had a dog who was stolen from me. She was a redbone hound and, in the area where I lived, that breed was used for hunting wildcats and sometimes bear. I think they might have thought they'd breed her but she had been spayed and they were too stupid to know. They came into my chain link privacy fenced back yard and kicked my smaller dog, breaking her pelvis (she recovered). WEEKS later my neighbor drove up with a dog, asking if this wasn't our dog. It was. She had been starved and was infested with fleas. Horrible condition, poor girl. But starved. At that point she became obsessed with food and ate anything and everything. She was obese but I carefully monitored her food intake (which she snarfed down with insane gusto). We moved to another area of the country next to a cow pasture and cow pies became her snack of choice. It was horrible.

I adopted a horse who had been starved by a previous adopter. He was an emotional wreck. I sincerely think starvation messes up an animal for life. I'm sure it's difficult for people to overcome but I imagine homeowners must be more financially secure. At one time I fed my two kids and, if anything was left on their plates, that's what I ate. I was skin and bones but I'm too dumb to let things like that stay with me too long. Thankful for what I have now but I don't live to eat so if I did beans and rice, rice and beans forever I'd be okay. ramble ramble ramble....sorry

Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Actually, food insecurity does distort the food buying and consumption patterns of many people. When I have extra cash, I stock up on nonperishables because I assume that at some point in the near future I will be broke. I don't stuff it in, I just hoard it for a rainy day.
I don't expect to be broke, but I maintain a large pantry in case of weather emergencies, supply chain disruptions, delayed recalls (particularly with pet food), and any other problem. I also keep plenty of toilet paper. aluminum foil, ammunition, and other household items. I also forage for wild edibles including fish.

I suggest that you visit the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum for more information.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
How about "people with food insecurity more like to rent than buy"?

Be careful about correlation and causation.

Renting sucks, I've never known a food insecure renter who "more like to rent than buy". Not only are they food insecure, they are usually also housing insecure since they have zero control over inevitable rent inflation which occurs simply Because Landlords Can.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I don't expect to be broke, but I maintain a large pantry in case of weather emergencies, supply chain disruptions, delayed recalls (particularly with pet food), and any other problem. I also keep plenty of toilet paper. aluminum foil, ammunition, and other household items. I also forage for wild edibles including fish.

I suggest that you visit the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum for more information.

I don't have a food pantry, I have two small cabinets for cookware and a limited supply of food. And a 9x9 sleeping room.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
This don't impress me much... (Shania)
I had a dog who was stolen from me. She was a redbone hound and, in the area where I lived, that breed was used for hunting wildcats and sometimes bear. I think they might have thought they'd breed her but she had been spayed and they were too stupid to know. They came into my chain link privacy fenced back yard and kicked my smaller dog, breaking her pelvis (she recovered). WEEKS later my neighbor drove up with a dog, asking if this wasn't our dog. It was. She had been starved and was infested with fleas. Horrible condition, poor girl. But starved. At that point she became obsessed with food and ate anything and everything. She was obese but I carefully monitored her food intake (which she snarfed down with insane gusto). We moved to another area of the country next to a cow pasture and cow pies became her snack of choice. It was horrible.

I adopted a horse who had been starved by a previous adopter. He was an emotional wreck. I sincerely think starvation messes up an animal for life. I'm sure it's difficult for people to overcome but I imagine homeowners must be more financially secure. At one time I fed my two kids and, if anything was left on their plates, that's what I ate. I was skin and bones but I'm too dumb to let things like that stay with me too long. Thankful for what I have now but I don't live to eat so if I did beans and rice, rice and beans forever I'd be okay. ramble ramble ramble....sorry

That is often called "inhaling" food.

When I was a kid my druggie parents were too spaced out to raise a kid, so they handed me off to friends (a married couple) who were "only" alcoholics. They kept a refrigerator FULL of beer - with no actual food - and fed me ketchup sandwiches.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:45 AM

314 posts, read 237,277 times
Quote:
I don't have a food pantry, I have two small cabinets for cookware and a limited supply of food. And a 9x9 sleeping room.
and whose fault is that? your a middle aged man that blames everything on everyone, and thinks everything should be free. When your playboy collection makes you those " millions " are you going to share with all those less fortunate?

Old 02-02-2018, 04:38 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Well, just DUH, and SMH.

The survey also looked at homeownership, race and having a disability in relation to food security. Results showed that 4.9 percent of homeowners and 15.5 percent of renters were food insecure, meaning they had “low” or “very low” food security.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres.../cb16-193.html
Whatever dude. I don’t see anyone looking like a 80’s Ethiopian walking around naked with a distended stomach and flies buzzing around. If you’re poor there are plenty of places to get cheap food. When I was young I lived at the 99 cent store. That was all I could afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics