Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 06:59 PM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times

Advertisements

Could we have a definition of food security/insecurity here?

Old 02-02-2018, 08:16 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Given my dead-end job history, my resume is essentially useless.
Well, that's on you. We all make choices in life. You made yours. And not choosing is also a choice.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Could be a "Rent Is Too High" problem.
Not in your case.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I don't have a food pantry, I have two small cabinets for cookware and a limited supply of food. And a 9x9 sleeping room.
I know someone who rents a room even smaller than that. I know because I've seen it. She also earns a crappy income. Yet she's saved over $10,000 in the last 2 years and doesn't complain about her life like you do.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:51 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Could we have a definition of food security/insecurity here?
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:28 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) defines food insecurity as a lack of consistent access to enough food for an active, healthy life.
Why paraphrase (badly) when you can just quote?

Quote:
USDA's labels describe ranges of food security

Food Security

• High food security (old label=Food security): no reported indications of food-access problems or limitations.
  • Marginal food security (old label=Food security): one or two reported indications—typically of anxiety over food sufficiency or shortage of food in the house. Little or no indication of changes in diets or food intake.
Food Insecurity

• Low food security (old label=Food insecurity without hunger): reports of reduced quality, variety, or desirability of diet. Little or no indication of reduced food intake.
  • Very low food security (old label=Food insecurity with hunger): Reports of multiple indications of disrupted eating patterns and reduced food intake.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:28 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,377,904 times
We can look at study after study and/or we can observe our surroundings and those we know and understand that some people are worse off because of their personal choices. I don't believe there are very many truly 'food insecure' people in this country at all-that is a liberal term invented to create more programs. There are plenty of options available for people who may struggle, but in this day and age, if people follow societal norms and refrain from negative behavior, there is very little reason to be in such a situation.

Old 02-03-2018, 07:00 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
I can see how that might be possible, looking at elements other than money in its availability.

In some cases, what is the grocery store may be more the corner store than the mega store and if that is the case, then it is harder to make more bang for one's buck.

Or perhaps it is the design of the apartment. For 25+ years, I lived in apartments with galley type kitchens. Efficient but are they really made for people to cook all their meals in? One has to learn how to use those places to get to the point where daily cooking is not a drudgery. If one isn't cooking there, then are they storing any food there?

If one is more in the city, then an infrastructure has been set up to provide, well sell, food to them. Delivery, take out, or whatever. As such, once again, if that is in place, is one encouraged to have food stocks in abundance?

How far does one have to travel to get to the good grocery store? Out here in the country, it is 25 minutes one way. When Dad retired and before the boom in Austin, I was occasionally give a list and the station wagon filled with coolers to stop by the commissary at Ft. Hood on one of my trips up there. On the other hand, if the store is near by, doesn't one get into the habit of not having built up stocks?

Perhaps it is the structure of the society they live in, be it specialized or generalized. In specialized, things are "that's not my job!" while in generalized, the task is everyone's job or no one eats. Directly, these don't necessarily produce the desire to stockpile but looking at the accounts I seek to read in my life, like Robin Graham on The Dove, then things start to fall in together.

So the situation is understandable even if many of the reasons aren't DUH.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
For 25+ years, I lived in apartments with galley type kitchens. Efficient but are they really made for people to cook all their meals in?
Yes.

If you've got a couple stove burners, an oven, and a microwave there is no reason you can't cook your all your meals in any kitchen. People all over the world cook all their meals in kitchens with far less space and facilities than an typical American apartment galley type kitchen.

Hell even the microwave is optional, the place I'm living right now doesn't have a microwave and I still cook most of our meals in it. The only way that has limited me so far is popcorn.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:43 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yes.

If you've got a couple stove burners, an oven, and a microwave there is no reason you can't cook your all your meals in any kitchen. People all over the world cook all their meals in kitchens with far less space and facilities than an typical American apartment galley type kitchen.
No reason.............but do Americans know this?

It doesn't matter that the rest of the world can do it, the article was about Americans.

Do they know this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.