Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2018, 12:35 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,535,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So where would those people go to expand their skill set?
I bet in the time it takes to make 32,665 posts one could expand their skill set into just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
No reason.............but do Americans know this?

It doesn't matter that the rest of the world can do it, the article was about Americans.

Do they know this?
If you took a survey you'd find most Americans do indeed know that one can cook their their meals in a kitchen.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:12 PM

15,209 posts, read 10,241,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what the government thinks the definition of food insecurity is, but I have yet to see any low income people, including the homeless, who look emaciated from hunger. Most of them, especially the children, are overweight. So they are all getting a steady supply of food from somewhere.

The only underweight people are the meth heads and even they aren't skeletal, so they are getting food when they remember to eat.

They are overweight because their parent(s) are buying the cheapest, most filling food they can which is usually garbage like boxed macaroni and cheese, Ramen noodle soup, etc. If I wanted to spend $30 a week on food I probably could if I didn't mind being overweight and have other medical issues.

You don't see many people on SNAP buying vegetables & fruit. Part of the problem is SNAP doesn't give people enough to survive on unless they eat crap. When my son was disabled he was receiving $135 a month for food for him and his daughter who he had every weekend. Then when he got a small increase in his disability payment, they dropped his food benefit to $77. They give in one hand and take away in the other.

Old 02-03-2018, 01:21 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
..Hell even the microwave is optional, the place I'm living right now doesn't have a microwave and I still cook most of our meals in it. The only way that has limited me so far is popcorn.
Microwaves produce terrible popcorn. I use an air popper for mine.

There is a popcorn thread that I began on the S-S & P forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...k-popcorn.html

Old 02-03-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
They are overweight because their parent(s) are buying the cheapest, most filling food they can which is usually garbage like boxed macaroni and cheese, Ramen noodle soup, etc. If I wanted to spend $30 a week on food I probably could if I didn't mind being overweight and have other medical issues.
Nonsense, it doesn't cost that much more to eat healthy. It's more about the knowledge and the effort.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Microwaves produce terrible popcorn. I use an air popper for mine.

There is a popcorn thread that I began on the S-S & P forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/self-...k-popcorn.html
Nah I like microwave popcorn, it doesn't taste terrible at all.

However I have no air popper, nor a microwave, and the only popcorn I've seen in local markets are the microwave packets. It's no big deal it's not like it's something we pine for whenever it's movie night at home, just something mentioned as the only thing I've noticed I can't make in this apartment without a microwave.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,715,520 times
Quote:
Nah I like microwave popcorn, it doesn't taste terrible at all.
It just stinks up a 200-foot radius and should be banned by the Geneva Convention.

I love popcorn, but the smell of the microwave stuff can make me queasy and anything like "Extra Butter!" or Cheese flavored will drive me right out of the building.

Not sure what renters think of the stuff.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM

33,865 posts, read 16,913,600 times
Quote:
one of our many community college, post secondary other training programs, college.

They must supply the initiative.

If not, they can instead spend a lifetime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2D2Ozh-olI

Old 02-03-2018, 05:41 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,272,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
OP does not live in Kansas but in Cali in a metro area. A bicycle may be a potential multi function tool for him.
I am very familiar with the OP. I wasn't speaking of him specifically, but generally of some people who may live in urban food deserts. Not sure where you got Kansas.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:40 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,849,358 times
I don't know about anyone else, but I shop by planning my meals around everything I have in my kitchen. In other words, I sometimes need many ingredients to make a meal because I'm doing a lot of cooking from scratch, even if I can make many different meals out of those ingredients.

Thing is, that means I'm shopping maybe once or twice a month and bringing home eight or more bags of groceries at a time. Go ahead, try doing that on a public bus. Try carrying three or more bags upstairs into your apartment at a time.

One more thing, many people are still living in motel rooms that don't allow cooking or only allow a hot plate. And not having a fridge makes it twice as difficult.

It's not always about people not wanting to eat healthy or not wanting to save money.

Quote:
Nonsense, it doesn't cost that much more to eat healthy. It's more about the knowledge and the effort.
LMAO Apparently you haven't tried buying apples, oranges, or blueberries instead of macaroni and cheese. Sometimes you really have to get more bang for your buck when it comes to food. When I was trying to add blueberries to my diet, I would get the frozen ones when I could afford them: $12 for a 3lb bag. I could buy 12 boxes of Rice-a-Roni or Kraft macaroni and cheese for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
one of our many community college, post secondary other training programs, college.

Do you have any idea what community colleges cost these days? In 2009 I spent $1500 in just one quarter. I can pure-D guarantee you the cost has almost doubled by now. And even a certificate needs at least 6 to 8 quarters. Where in high heaven do you think that money will come from?

I also have the fortune(?) of living in subsidized housing. If I attend college full time, I'll be evicted. It's something to do with their funding, why, I don't know, but that's the way it is.

You have no way of knowing why people can't go to college. It might be something as simple as trying to get there. If you have to take public transportation, what do you do if you work a full time job and one of your required classes is only offered while you work? Or if buses don't run after 8pm? You can get to class, but you can't get home.

I used to get off work to get the bus at 4:30. It was supposed to make a connection with another bus at 5 to get me to community college at 5:30. The bus was always late and the other bus had already left, so I had to wait for the 5:30, which meant I was walking into class half an hour late three evenings a week. The teacher finally told me I couldn't continue the class.

It's really easy to say do this and do that, but it's not always that simple.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:53 PM

30,876 posts, read 36,858,638 times
Quote:
"They" have already been told that plenty of times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.