Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 05:26 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Agreed, but I like the system used in Australia. Groceries, for example, can be priced to the penny then when they are all rung up, the total is rounded up or down to the nearest nickel (or 5 cent coin).

I'm not a fan of dollar coins for the weight of them. Since we seem to be moving to credit and debit transactions, the point may be moot soon anyway.
Moving to more credit and debit would actually would better support the move to more coins than bills as the biggest objection seems to be weight, well if you don’t use cash much it won’t really matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:50 PM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
A USD dollar coin would last longer and be more cost-efficient than a dollar bill, which will wear out quickly.

What do you think?
No way......college girls could get injured by all those coins being hurled at them while on stage!

Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,522,955 times
In Australia the smallest coin is 5 cents and we have 1 dollar and 2 dollar coins. The 1 dollar is smaller than the 2 dollar. No idea why! Then the 50 cent is much bigger and silver and multi sided.

This is all very good for giving the grandkids coins for their money boxes. Master 2 years was really thrilled with his 50 cents, it being big and shiny, Master 4 was impressed with the two single dollars as he is starting to get the idea of it all (he had not been given a little book like his brother with the 50 cents,)and Mister 6 years just loves the 2 dollars as he is clued in, knows how it works and has stashed up $117 in his money box which he absolutely refuses to spend.

Our one dollar notes were phased out years ago, as were the one and two cent coins.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:32 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
LOL
(explanation)
A unit dollar, pursuant to the Coinage Act of 1792, is a silver coin. (Currently costs about $14-$20 to buy one)
A "dollar coin" is a big penny and just squeaks by the counterfeit provisions of the law.
. . .

The Golden Dollar Coin Featuring Sacagawea - United States Mint
https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-me...-golden-dollar
The "golden" dollar= 8.1 grams in weight, 88.5% copper
{7.1685 gms. copper}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_(United_States_coin)
Pennies issued before 1982: 3.11 grams of copper

5 x 3.11 gms = 15.55 gms. of copper (in five cents)

THE NEW DOLLAR CON (ahem) COIN IS A "BIG PENNY"!

18 U.S.C. § 485 : US Code - Section 485: Coins or bars
“Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 CENTS or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or Whoever passes, utters, publishes, sells, possesses, or brings into the United States any false, forged, or counterfeit coin or bar, knowing the same to be false, forged, or counterfeit, with intent to defraud any body politic or corporate, or any person, or attempts the commission of any offense described in this paragraph - Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than FIFTEEN YEARS, or both.”
Does this explain why the "golden dollar" does not contain more metal than 5 copper pennies of the pre-bankruptcy past?

CLASSIC DOLLAR COIN
"Dollars, or units; each to be of the value of a Spanish milled as the same is now current, and to contain three hundred and seventy-one grains and four-sixteenths parts of a grain of pure, or four hundred and sixteen grains of standard, silver."
--- Sec. 9, Coinage Act of 1792, January 1792

Old 02-04-2018, 06:40 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
Simple

Look at the faces on the penny and dollar bill.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:14 PM

928 posts, read 970,152 times
Quote:
A USD dollar coin would last longer and be more cost-efficient than a dollar bill, which will wear out quickly.

What do you think?
No, I don't think any cash should be phased out only credit cards.

Old 02-04-2018, 08:38 PM

658 posts, read 722,430 times
I LOVED the "toonie" in Canada -- a $2 coin. It was of a higher denomination so I could have 2 or 3 of them at the bottom of my purse or in the car console and I could actually buy something with them ha ha.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:56 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,778 times
Quote:

What do you think?
I agree.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
No way......college girls could get injured by all those coins being hurled at them while on stage!
I don’t know man.......I’m betting most would hit the target and go in the slot.

I’m all for it

The dollar coin.....and hitting the slot

Old 02-04-2018, 10:52 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
Personally, I like the dollar coins.

But they have never been a hit with the public, not the Eisenhower nor the Susan B. Anthony nor the Sacagawea nor the Presidential series. By 2011, about 1.25 billion of the Presidential ones had gone straight to storage, uncirculated:

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-co...llars.all.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics