Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:42 PM

18,512 posts, read 15,494,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
it doesnt affect me nor any of our employments. I am just the guy with 20 other people that make things work, dont care for company politics. Just a national memo was sent out that they do every month on what changes and what to expect. One was after a meeting, we can no longer support or advertise in x market area. But that was it. Then i realize this happen when i worked at a TV station, we would get memos about what Ads, that we must remove or play over.

Then as i google up things, this seems to be a normal thing for business vs business, but why? Are both scare of the competition? Afraid that some mom and pop company might come in your territory and offer better deals? ( thus why you lobby for city's/counties not to invest in their own ISP).
Ultimately, it's because they have decided to take an "us vs. them" approach to business, whether sensible or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:47 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Ultimately, it's because they have decided to take an "us vs. them" approach to business, whether sensible or not.
All business is us-v-them, just as all courtrooms are basically adversarial.

Maybe we'll grow out of this one day.

(And before you start in on "business cooperation," remember the maxim that no man is truly sad at even his best friend's failure. No business cooperates to their own significant detriment.)

Old 03-05-2018, 01:03 PM

18,512 posts, read 15,494,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
All business is us-v-them, just as all courtrooms are basically adversarial.

Maybe we'll grow out of this one day.

(And before you start in on "business cooperation," remember the maxim that no man is truly sad at even his best friend's failure. No business cooperates to their own significant detriment.)
That isn't true universally. Businesses with the same market/niche tend to be adversaries, but not businesses in different markets or businesses operating at different points in the production chain. In the latter case, they are actually friends (for instance, an automaker is friends with the company that produces the steel).

Old 03-05-2018, 01:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,705,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
That isn't true universally. Businesses with the same market/niche tend to be adversaries, but not businesses in different markets or businesses operating at different points in the production chain. In the latter case, they are actually friends (for instance, an automaker is friends with the company that produces the steel).
Cooperation is not necessarily free of adversarial facets. Most automakers will and do switch to another steel provider the minute it's financially advantageous to do so, even if it means a huge blow to the prior supplier.

That the C-levels get together for drinks is not necessarily "cooperation."

Old 03-11-2018, 12:18 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,505,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
I do and had to read it twice to understand the language in it. But i can opt-out later on after 2 years of service with the company. I just dont understand why they need one for my job but it is what it is.. and stupid, from a employee point of view.

Just open generally why have them from the start anyways? rather its BvB or BvE..
I don't know if I read this before or answered it.

Hubs tried having employees sign these years ago. Our attorney said you can not do that as you can't stop someone from making a living. And if it was to go to court we would lose.

We actually had one of our employees leave and try and he was a smashing failure within 3 months. He alos didn't have the money to keep it going. Yet another moron over rating his talents and not having the connections. He had no idea how many years it took my husband to get to where he was at the time this clown worked for us.

Now if you are given some kind of compensation, you sell a business, many times that is included in the contract. Like you can't start the same business for 5 years or you can't start this same type of business within 250 miles, etc. Both of the mentioned situations I am aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics