Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,246,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock4 View Post
Excellent points!
I am the one that got suspicious, but I spoke to her today and she said she just tries to keep it out of her mind. OK, I don't blame her, but I know I would be terribly upset if I thought my husband was hiding something that important from me. When I first got married (about 40 years ago), I found out my husband "forgot" to change the policy at his job to me as inheritor. He had it for his mother. He had no problem changing it to me, and I made sure of it. Anyway, his mother died, and I could go before my husband does, but we're both older now and not too well, so who knows? I just had a bad accident and realize death is the next moment away. Not to be morbid about this, just realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
ALL good points.

How old is this woman? has she ever worked? WHY is she even in this position? Anyway.....

This woman/wife/your friend needs to get savvy about her own future.
As a wife she needs to try to find out what she will have in her own right -- AND what will come her way eventually when he dies.

--Does he have a will? What does the will say? Without a will state law determines what she gets. (Some places the wife might get everything and the kids are left out; other places the wife gets most --say 1/3, 1/2, 2/3 -- whatever -- and the kids split the rest.

Also as his wife, she might by law have the legal responsibility to take care of his remains and disposal. KIDS do NOT have to take care of that. But a spouse might be legally required to.

I'd guess that donating his body to a medical school is the cheapest route, then cremation.
In any event, how much she decides to spend on this husband who left her out in the cold financially is up to her.

I wouldn't spend a dime on his behind.

Is this a second marriage? Are the kids you're talking about adults? If they want dear-old-dad to have a service, THEY can pay for it.
Ha, never thought about donating the body to a medical school. That's a good one, lol. Now I wonder if they pay for it, :-)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
$6000 for a cremation?! I was quoted $1350 for my father. So I mentioned they had cremated his wife, and I asked for a multi-cremation discount like the multi-car discount I get with my auto insurance. They knocked 10 percent off.
That is a good price. I paid about $1500 each for a pre-arranged cremation, but now I have to think about insurance for transporting the body if not in a designated area. Medical school donation doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. :-)
I checked w local cremation around where we live and they start at a little over $3000.

Old 02-24-2018, 08:18 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,051,836 times
I didn't go back through all the pages....did you say he's getting a pension. (If he's retired, and of a certain age, he should be.)

IF he is, as his spouse she can at least try to get info on his payout decision about getting it all, or choosing a lesser amount that also allows for a spousal benefit to continue should he predecease her.

In most if not all cases, I believe a spouse needs to sign off on waiving a spousal benefit.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:07 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,735,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Ha, never thought about donating the body to a medical school. That's a good one, lol. Now I wonder if they pay for it, :-)
No medical school pays for cadavers. Also, the donor has to complete forms willing their body directly to the med school or a consortium that distributes to medical schools. There’s also stringent criteria for acceptable remains.

Old 02-27-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
No medical school pays for cadavers. Also, the donor has to complete forms willing their body directly to the med school or a consortium that distributes to medical schools. There’s also stringent criteria for acceptable remains.
Right. I see that. Now I wonder what happens IF I donate my body to a consortium and I was reading the fine print, the body has to be in somewhat good condition, not smashed to smithereens, etc. I already have a preneed policy for cremation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics