Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 01:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,619,551 times

Advertisements

I thought this was a good read on US News & World Report Magazine featuring the chief Economic Advisors to all 3 candidates in the prez race and talking about what they think about their plans for the economy.

Austan Goolsbee for Barack Obama
Gary Gensler for Hillary Clinton
Kevin Hassett for John McCain

Presidential Candidates Push Economic Stimulus Plans - US News and World Report
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
This is an interesting read and I got a few points out of this:

1) Barack chooses a plan that is pretty much known to have no effect in stimulating the economy but makes people "feel" better for a short period of time.

2) Hilliary chooses a plan that makes the poor wealthier with entitlements (and you know how I feel about entitlements) and rewards the irresponsible who are going to default on their mortgages (i.e. more entitlements). But it doesn't stop there, she wants to give more entitlments in energy subsidies. It sounds to me like she wants to buy your votes with entitlements. Who is paying for these entitlements? The middle-class and responsible home owners... yeah, pretty stupid... big time bailouts...

3) McCain is focused on reducing corporate taxes to stimulate the economy because it seemed to work before... anyone see the major problem here? We know that the government increases its spending ever year from inflation, earmarks, and corruption with corporate busineses. If we were to cut corporate taxes, who will pay for the increased shortfall? Taxpayers....

It seems NONE of these candidates have any idea how to help people. They know how to help businesses but NOT people and this is what caused the downturn in the first place... safe to say, our political candidates are idiots..

Old 03-24-2008, 02:08 PM

76 posts, read 262,781 times
I love these stimulus plans, give money to these guys, cut taxes for those guys, write checks and spend it on Nike's. I'm gonna take the crazy route and just keep asking what Saudi prince they're gonna yank all of this money out of, cause we sure as heck don't have it.

Anyone recall the Guns and Butter of the 70's. It's baaaaack, vote Carter!

Old 03-25-2008, 08:06 AM

281 posts, read 1,054,774 times
This thread should be moved to the political section.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:46 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
This is an interesting read and I got a few points out of this:

1) Barack chooses a plan that is pretty much known to have no effect in stimulating the economy but makes people "feel" better for a short period of time.

2) Hilliary chooses a plan that makes the poor wealthier with entitlements (and you know how I feel about entitlements) and rewards the irresponsible who are going to default on their mortgages (i.e. more entitlements). But it doesn't stop there, she wants to give more entitlments in energy subsidies. It sounds to me like she wants to buy your votes with entitlements. Who is paying for these entitlements? The middle-class and responsible home owners... yeah, pretty stupid... big time bailouts...

3) McCain is focused on reducing corporate taxes to stimulate the economy because it seemed to work before... anyone see the major problem here? We know that the government increases its spending ever year from inflation, earmarks, and corruption with corporate busineses. If we were to cut corporate taxes, who will pay for the increased shortfall? Taxpayers....
Point three could work only if it is accompanied by higher interest rates - worthwhile investments need to overcome hurdles -, and, if in some fair way, perhaps through tax credits, basic manufacturing can be stimulated: it will do no good to use low taxes and low interest rates to allocate resources to unproductive construction and other such enterprises.

It may need to be reasonably accompanied by re-training programs, that's probably the one point in the Clinton plan that makes any economic sense.

All these deadbeat home-debtors have to stop pushing paper at mortgage companies and such and get back to productive work in factories, making things that hardworking people who save actually need and can afford, like it used to be: instead of being a drain on the economy because of wild ambitions to achieve a life of idleness through some pipedream real estate wealth, they can go back to real, productive work, thus generating real income and paying taxes, like most decent people do.

Last edited by bale002; 03-25-2008 at 08:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics