Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you think the next recession will occur?
There will never be another recession 1 1.08%
Probably within the next 3 years 72 77.42%
Probably in the next 4-6 years 15 16.13%
Probably in 7+ years from now 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 PM

5,904 posts, read 4,407,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So an actual US city that does have people in it who earn/spend money as consumers isn't a good example because it doesn't fit your "US having hyperinflation" narrative, while you instead offer up a different location with unusually high real estate prices as a better example? That's just retarded dude.

Actually they show the rent component of CPI in western region to be 4.7% from March 2017 -> March 2018, hardly the "no inflation" environment you are implying they published and actually pretty close to the 5% you've thrown out. https://www.bls.gov/regions/west/new...index_west.htm

We can also note it is entirely possible to have an inflation rate much lower than 5% because other components in the basket of goods had much lower increases, or even had decreases.
The other day for work I was looking up an IMF guide to see if a certain country’s currency was on the hyperinflationary list or watchlist. By their metric, Hyperinflationary is defined as 3 consecutive years of 100% inflation.

Some of you may be “shocked” for me to report here today that the USD wasn’t on the list or watch list. You’d have to have an interesting definition of hyperinflation to think the USD is in that position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 06:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,529,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
By their metric, Hyperinflationary is defined as 3 consecutive years of 100% inflation. Some of you may be “shocked” for me to report here today that the USD wasn’t on the list or watch list. You’d have to have an interesting definition of hyperinflation to think the USD is in that position.
I don't think most would be shocked, the posters like Caldwell who like to throw around hyperbole with references to hyperinflation in the USA are (thankfully) the exception, they usually have another ax to grind like social security increases that lead them to such irrational thought process.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:06 PM

9,354 posts, read 6,922,035 times
Being liquid or cash heavy during a recession is always beneficial.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,619,593 times
We're getting there. People are bailing out of the Euro, Japan is already in recession, Asian stocks are taking a beating from Trump's economic policies, and they are dangerously leveraged. Treasury yields are declining as everyone heads for safe harbor. Gold is still fairly low, it might be a good time to buy metals.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:48 AM

482 posts, read 240,913 times
I believe that there will be a downward economic trend in a few years but nothing like 2008. Things will level out for a few more years and then start to drop again. The second drop will be slow but will last a very long time. I believe that this recesion will fundamentally change this country forever at some point. The **** is going to hit the fan sometime around 2030 IMO.

I have already told my kids to cut back on investing into the market and to spend the next 10 years investing heavily into property, federal/municipal bonds, and physical precious metals. We currently live in an unsustainable society that's going to break at some point. It's not a mater of if this will happen, it's a matter of when it will happen IMO.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 PM

6,751 posts, read 5,455,181 times
I'm in the camp that thinks by 2020-2025 it will get a little rough.

The bull market has been great, but we all know all good things must come to an end.

Maybe it will be the presidential election, maybe worldwide issues, maybe calling in our debt, what ever it will be, I think we are in for a rough spot.

I'm hoping to weather it, and still come out sane.

Once the cake is gone, you can nibble the crumbs, but you won't have the cake anymore. And we've been eating cake.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:12 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,099,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'm in the camp that thinks by 2020-2025 it will get a little rough.

The bull market has been great, but we all know all good things must come to an end.
The stock market and the economy are two separate distinct entities.

The behavior of one does not necessarily impact the other.

There are many instances where the stock market set records during a recession, only to collapse after the recession ended and the economy began to rebound.

There are many other instances when the stock market collapsed, but the economy continued to perform well.

There are a couple of times when the stock market and economy declined together, but that is pure coincidence, and not a case of Cause & Effect.

This thread is about the economy, not the stock market, and when the economy is most likely to enter a recession, for those who aren't intelligent enough to discern the difference between the two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics