Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2018, 09:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That is quite a stretch to think workers only have enough to eat and sleep.
Some only have enough to eat no where to sleep. No one in the USA is going to starve, the issue is exposure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 11:52 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I know of a guy who inherited money from his daddy, and proceeded to declare corporate bankruptcy more than any other corporation in America. And who also didn’t pay contractors, are yanked all the money possible out of the coffers for declaring bankruptcy leaving his employees in the lurch.

And just declared the need to help save jobs in a factory in a foreign country a day after that country contributed half $1 billion to his new golf course/hotel project in Indonesia.

That sounds really responsible, LOL, Except it’s not funny.

There are many many like him. Why people continue to defend them I will never understand. Not drinking the Kool-Aid.
A lot of people inherit money from their daddy and don't go on to amass a networth of a billion dollars several times over, and then become president.

Now what exactly was your point? Did you even have one?

Old 05-16-2018, 12:01 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
A lot of people inherit money from their daddy and don't go on to amass a networth of a billion dollars several times over, and then become president.

Yes, that it’s a rigged system, and the con men win. It doesn’t make them deserving or good citizens. I did pure the billion even one homes over, although it might happen now that he can use his office as a money making tool. He’s actually a bad businessman.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominick1858 View Post
Karl Marx was a piece of ****
yup

Old 05-16-2018, 02:22 PM

989 posts, read 769,314 times
I think one needs to move with the times. That is what our parents directed us to do. We educated ourselves and went from there.

One thing to note is there will always be people needed to build homes and buildings and manage those folks. Robots need mechanics to lubricate and maintain them, at least in the foreseeable future. I for one would not like to work in a repetitive job, like installing the same wheel on the same car all day or stocking shelves in a grocery store. I would have loved a robot to take that over if I was that worker.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:48 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,770,124 times
Quote:
Yes, that it’s a rigged system, and the con men win. It doesn’t make them deserving or good citizens. I did pure the billion even one homes over, although it might happen now that he can use his office as a money making tool. He’s actually a bad businessman.

In English now please?

Old 05-16-2018, 05:33 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
And who also didn’t pay contractors, are yanked all the money possible out of the coffers for declaring bankruptcy leaving his employees in the lurch.
One of the things about Bankruptcy Court is that it is NOT a "Court of Law." It is a "Court of Equity." The Bankruptcy Judge has some pretty amazing powers -- for example, she can "go back in time" and claw back that money you say was "yanked out of the coffers." She can go back in time and seize money paid out to some vendors many months previously and then use it to pay employees left in the lurch.

I'd suggest whomever told you the supposed facts you mentioned had the details wrong.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:11 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
One of the things about Bankruptcy Court is that it is NOT a "Court of Law." It is a "Court of Equity." The Bankruptcy Judge has some pretty amazing powers -- for example, she can "go back in time" and claw back that money you say was "yanked out of the coffers." She can go back in time and seize money paid out to some vendors many months previously and then use it to pay employees left in the lurch.

I'd suggest whomever told you the supposed facts you mentioned had the details wrong.
As long as said employees were paid for the time they were there there is no case for them in the bankruptcy proceedings as the USA is at will. Being left in the lurch means, basicly, you were canned before you could line up comperable employment.

There is nothing in us law that protects you from this, maybe warn, but it’s pretty weak. The employer may get burned in bankruptcy court but the employees won’t be enriched by it, unless there was a pay roll issue.

Employees are not treated with dignity in the USA and set up with a new comperable job, they are kicked to the curve maybe get some small unemployment benifits and are forced to recompete mid career for new employment.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Some only have enough to eat no where to sleep. No one in the USA is going to starve, the issue is exposure.
Nobody is going to die of exposure either, and workers who have nowhere to sleep are the rare exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Employees are not treated with dignity in the USA and set up with a new comperable job, they are kicked to the curve maybe get some small unemployment benifits and are forced to recompete mid career for new employment.
I don't see what dignity has to do with it.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post

Well, if there is one, he made less than if he would have put the money in a index fund - and even making that less came are taxpayer, bondholder, contractor, investor and others expense.

He made 177 BILLION less than if he would have invested it in Warren Buffets stock.

So, yeah, the point is that he is a really terrible business person - and, of course, a really terrible person also. No redeeming factors there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics