Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Were i use to work did exactly what your saying. But they did it just to see what the market rate is for the same job were doing now. If people were asking 50k, and they are paying us 40k, then they will assume they are get a good deal or be nice and bump us to that rate to keep us from leaving.

We always say at work that showing up to work is 50% of the problem. That's been my motto for the last 11 years I've been working alongside our lending staff. During the good and the bad times, if you're always in the office, you're in good shape as long as you're putting out satisfactory work. It's not that good help is hard to find, but once you start factoring in the time to train new hirers and opening the potential for a hiring carousel, keeping good employees becomes a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 09:28 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
There was a story recently about a city in a county near where I live, They said Naples Florida is having a hard time finding employees to do minimum wage jobs because there is no housing to accommodate them. So unless you live with your parents there really are no employees to fill many jobs. I remember when I lived up north some fast food places like White Castle who make a lot of money because they sell tiny burgers for about $1, (I moved away I don't know what they charge now. 10 years ago they were 70 cents and you needed 5 or more for a meal) They were advertising that they were hiring and paying above minimum wage to start.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:44 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
The term JOB OPENINGS can be so vague. I will be relating to a GA wage, so $15 here is much higher than $15 in NYC or SF.

Say you see 100 jobs online, are these jobs paying $15-20hr, where the person can actually make a descent bare minimum living and not have to live in the projects or are these jobs $8-10 hr, where you might not get 40hrs, live in a dangerous area, have to rely on food stamps and have multiple roommates, all while having near no path for advancement at some of these jobs too.

I know in ATL, I see jobs at the airport for people to clean the planes and its barely $8-9hr. Now I can see why when folks loose stuff on the plane, it will probably never be returned, as I have heard those same workers bragging about how they keep everything they find.

At the end of the day, you owe no employer anything. If you are being treated bad, leave and go work for someone that will treat you better, if you see job openings. The same companies that want 100% loyalty from you, will give you 0 in return.

Last edited by SAAN; 06-04-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 06:50 AM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
If they can't find the right person in two years, they don't really want to hire.
Yeah, that's my field.

Job postings I see up for two years want 3-5 years' experience to even consider you, advanced certifications within six months of hire. Some people never bother to get the certs but mostly the people who don't have them don't have them because they failed previously and not just because they haven't bothered. Oh, and they want to pay 2/3rds what someone with no experience and some hustle can get within six months. Maybe not what they can make locally, but the people with hustle just go where the work is. New York, DC, Texas, Washington, California, Illinois, Massachusetts. Or they just go work for the federal government locally as there's hilarious pay discrepancies. You're making $80,000 two blocks down the street from someone making $40-50k. Provided you've got the 3-5 years' experience and advanced certifications, you can find a job with the federal government but it's competitive and you'll most likely need to move to some backwater to get it. But moving to some backwater with low COL is a lot more appealing for $80,000 than taking a 50% cut in pay to do so from a high COL area.

The only real reason to take those jobs is you don't want to live somewhere urban. Private sector is almost all in the major urban areas. Doesn't need to be Manhattan but it does need to be Houston or something.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:16 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
there are 6.7 million job openings in the USA. Anybody that wants one, can have one.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
Job openings are nice, but then you have 100 people applying for the same job who are as equally qualified as you. That you are picked for an interview (not even hired yet) is like winning the lottery.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:54 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
businesses want the best qualified people to work for them. You can throw the resumes of 90-95% out before you even look seriously at who to hire.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:40 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
There is an enormous disconnect between what labor is worth and what housing is worth.

E.g. - where I live is nothing particularly special, but housing has skyrocketed over the past 4 years. There are TONS of jobs. The service employers will give $500 or even higher "longevity" bonuses for lasting 4 or 6 months. But the the money those workers can make will not even come close to qualifying them for an apartment by the 3x income:rent rule.

The issue is that housing has become ridiculous. Some of our best employers like the hospital system can't even keep nurses. We just hired a new IT asst manager at my work for over $60k. He had to go not one, but TWO towns over to afford a house big enough for his family. He commutes in 50 minutes one-way.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I wonder how many of those jobs are real and how many are for show.... "hey we have x opening and can't fill them" but in reality "we have no intention of filling them"
I wonder how many are non-jobs - they already have the person they want to hire, but are required by policy, law, regulation, etc. to post jobs and go through the motions.

"We reviewed the resumes of 20 applicants and none of them were qualified or wanted the job, so we must hire my latest lover."

Some of them are H1B bait - they have an H1B visa holder on staff they want to apply for PERM but they have to advertise the job .

Remember, Cohen & Grigsby video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Old 06-07-2018, 08:04 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yep, that i can contest.. Had one offer me 2 dollars less a hour but will get it back after a year.. Only a fool would have said yes to that. Rest were just too cheap and some wanted a cert that only a person with a PHD in computer science to get. Even then the pay was a insult.
Yep routinely get calls/emails from recruiters asking if I would like to quit my job for a 30-50% paycut and no benefits at first; temp but we swear this company really does hire temps after a few months. P*ss Off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics