Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 02:41 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,783 times

Advertisements

We must end the federal reserve now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 02:58 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
We must end the federal reserve now.

And replace it with what, exactly, Congress?

Most gold standard nutters are ignorant of the fact that the price of gold is regulated when used as a standard.

The price of gold would drop like a rock to somewhere between $360/ounce to $365/ounce. I would be ROTFLMAO as people lose their shirts.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:12 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Obamacare lives on. A trucker who owns his logging truck is required to pay $1,000 a month for family medical insurance and that gets him a $5,000 deductible. The insurance company pays nothing until the logger has paid $17,000 out of pocket. And the OP is worried about the creation of wealth?

That said. The "Oxfam study" was worldwide. A self employed person in America owns a $100,000 logging truck. A self employed worker in Haiti gathers sticks to be made into charcoal. He trades his sticks for a bowl of rice to live another day.
According to Beloved Leader Obamacare is dead

Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM

10,755 posts, read 5,676,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I have organized my business as a C corp since 1980. I own the business. Shares issued as a legal matter, are personally held by me. Not traded as with publicly held stock. Publicly held stock is essentially investment/savings.
So, ownership of the shares IS ownership of the business. Exactly what I’ve been saying.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
So you think if a tree grows, and a man points to it and tells a man with a saw to cut it down, and he sells the timber, and gives 20% to the logger, it is the man who pointed to the tree who created the wealth.
If it was his tree, yes. Of course, if it wasn't his tree he has no right to have it cut down.

Let's explore this a bit.

If I own property that has trees on it and I hire someone to cut down the trees, who has the right to sell the timber? Do I get to sell my own property, or do I cede the right to that property simply by hiring someone to do manual labor?

Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
As long as I'm doing fine, I couldn't care what Bezos is doing.
Bingo. Bezos pretty much said, I’m going to make a service where you can have anything you want shipped to you extremely fast. Hats off to him but everyone else is no Bezos.

I’m doing pretty good for a non-Bezos so it’s not my job to worry about him.

Trickle down economics, without any government intervention, does work. Stop trying to punish people for creating wealth and jobs.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 PM

307 posts, read 224,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
World's richest 1% grabbed 82% of all wealth created in 2017, Oxfam study finds

More than $8 of every $10 of wealth created last year went to the richest 1%.
That's according to a new report from Oxfam International, which estimates that the bottom 50% of the world's population saw no increase in wealth.
Yes. We're all being pushed into a form of slavery. I read an article in Time mag. (and other studies) about how the abuse of the wealthy over the last 50 years created the environment that allows autocrats and dictators (thieve) to come into power. They manipulated the less "knowledgeable" shall we say with hatred and false information of idiotic promises. Made the forgotten ones feel empowered and this allowed the dictators, kleptocracies, and autocrats (liars to gain and illegally put themselves above the law and abuse power for their own gain) and further create a distance between the top 1% and the rest of us. Quiet upper-escheleon schools quietly allowed the elite in (unqualified but had the money) and they moved into control (hence the greed of the market crashes of subprime loans, etc.) creating a depression and causing people who worked their lives for a company (Enron comes to mind) to lose pension and their lives while those who caused it to stay out of jail free.

Lies, illegal activity (mob and foreign-controlled - against our ostensibly now useless Constitution) and the rich took over. The poorer people here will all feel the impact by 2025, including those who were conned. By then there won't be anything they can do about it and if they think they've been left behind now, it will get exponentially worse for them. We have gained any buying power. Unemployment stats change by the Bureau of Labor Statistics do change the calculations so they look better than reality. My father was an economist who said they couldn't account for those on unemployment and dropped off and those working multiple jobs. I showed him how those calculations could actually be made more realistic (I had to do it throughout my career, they should've been able to do it in theirs).

Old 05-21-2018, 06:10 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
My father was an economist who said they couldn't account for those on unemployment and dropped off and those working multiple jobs. .
Sure they can, it's just not in their best interest to state the real number of unemployed.

Basically we have a Plutocracy: Government by the rich for the rich. And it's the Republicans who only care about the rich who is dividing and fooling the poor ignorant Republicans with fear and lies.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:39 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
many poor people don't contribute and don't vote

Old 05-21-2018, 08:59 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And replace it with what, exactly, Congress?
If they simply ran it from the Treasury perhaps people would understand it better. However that might be a bad thing.

Quote:
Most gold standard nutters are ignorant of the fact that the price of gold is regulated when used as a standard.

The price of gold would drop like a rock to somewhere between $360/ounce to $365/ounce. I would be ROTFLMAO as people lose their shirts.
On the one hand I agree with you. Why do Libertarians want the government to control a commodity. If they are so worried about the $USD losing its buying power, then buy gold. Is gold gold backed?

However if the US went on a gold standard, that essentially means anyone who owns gold gets a chunk of the US economy. I think India could claim Texas. ....Might not go down.

But the home boys? Well the last time all that gold was confiscated first. Hard way to get rich with confiscations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics