Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2018, 05:22 PM

2,741 posts, read 1,765,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
Do you have anything a little more recent than an article from 2010?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2018, 05:24 PM

1,064 posts, read 617,121 times
Quote:
Most people get rich by exploiting others or being part of the corporate takeover of America. Most start out with a lot of $ for investment. It takes money to make money.

Most of Congress are millionaires yet almost none of their constituents are millionaires.
Yet they (House of Reps and Senate) run (and ruin) things.

How are they elected? By the money they get from the rich (corporations and businessmen).
How do they get re-elected? By giving favors to those corporations and businessmen.
How do they (Congress) get richer and more powerful? (You figure it out!)
How do corporations and the rich flourish? (same as above)
It's all one big circle jerk and the People are not included, the People's interests are not anywhere near the top of the list of priorities.

The title of this thread says it all.

If those numbers seem right to anyone then that person may want to see a shrink, they are probably narcissistic sociopaths like many of this same Congress (and I mean BOTH parties). Both parties subscribe to the same methodology, basically.
You have no clue as to what you are talking about. The largest percentage of millionaires are not corporate executives or politicians. It really isn’t that hard to research.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Can you prove that with any solid stats? As the article below points out, even many self-made millionaires had to get some seed money from somewhere and many people can't even get that together.
How many illegal immigrants are going to get the money together to start a million dollar business, hmmm?
I know some who have done well, but they're not millionaires... and many MANY more have not done well at all. The article below also points out that there are many more loses than winners in this game of becoming The Millionaire Next Door!

Read this great article exposing the reality behind the Millionaire Next Door philosophy:
The death of the 'Millionaire Next Door' dream

(quoted from above article by
Michael Hiltzik):

"...the Stanley millionaire model was a bit fraudulent from the start. Economist Nassim Nicholas Taleb noticed, in his own book, "Fooled by Randomness," that the picture painted by "The Millionaire Next Door" was the product of survivor bias -- "the authors made no attempt to correct their statistics with the fact that they saw only the winners," he wrote. What of the millions of investors who invested in the wrong things or whose paving companies failed? They outnumber the winners by a large margin. Taleb also observed that the book reflected "an unusual episode in history" when the return on assets was astronomical in historical terms. It arrived when that episode was playing out."

Read the article. It explains why The Millionaire Next Door book was full of lies or misconceptions and is not valid.
The Millionaire Next Door was actually based on research. You can download the white paper from the firm that helped with the data.

Perhaps you would like to do a bit of work yourself and show us all your stats and research as to how you believe people get rich.

Last edited by Jim1921; 05-28-2018 at 05:54 PM..

Old 05-28-2018, 06:03 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,086,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
The Millionaire Next Door was actually based on research. You can download the white paper from the firm that helped with the data.

Perhaps you would like to do a bit of work yourself and show us all your stats and research as to how you believe people get rich.
Does this white paper going into the details of how people get their seed money, how they set up shop without breaking the bank, etc.

I would love to set up a machine shop and build scientific aparatus but the costs of the real estate, building (even just a metal frame building kit), entry level VMC, etc is staggering. People must be getting some kind of inside auction deals or something.

I have been looking into an entry level Haas VMC CNC, Tormach, etc. Trying to find associates who can do glass blowing/working. Its extremely non trivial.

How do people maintain a cash flow (without giving up the IP to their kit) while building things up.

Could you post a link?

In fact I am not even so much concerned about becoming a millionare as much as disrupting markets. Oh so and so thinks his product is hot ***** and is fleecing the consumer. Turn out a ton of them on the machines and flood the market lol. Out side of truely unique IP, I would not steal a truely unique piece of equipment.

This is most notable in the aircraft parts buisness, where the parts are LONG outside of IP protection and patent protection and yet they still charge massive amounts.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Does this white paper going into the details of how people get their seed money, how they set up shop without breaking the bank, etc.

I would love to set up a machine shop and build scientific aparatus but the costs of the real estate, building (even just a metal frame building kit), entry level VMC, etc is staggering. People must be getting some kind of inside auction deals or something.

I have been looking into an entry level Haas VMC CNC, Tormach, etc. Trying to find associates who can do glass blowing/working. Its extremely non trivial.

How do people maintain a cash flow (without giving up the IP to their kit) while building things up.

Could you post a link?

In fact I am not even so much concerned about becoming a millionare as much as disrupting markets. Oh so and so thinks his product is hot ***** and is fleecing the consumer. Turn out a ton of them on the machines and flood the market lol. Out side of truely unique IP, I would not steal a truely unique piece of equipment.

This is most notable in the aircraft parts buisness, where the parts are LONG outside of IP protection and patent protection and yet they still charge massive amounts.
I can give you a few thoughts if you want to PM me.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,817,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The problem is that the pie is expanding quite nicely but average middle class & working class people have not seen much of that expansion.
What you see as a problem, I see as very good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
You have to be in the top 10-12% to really feel the benefits. Top 20-30% are at least keeping up with inflation or a little bit ahead.
That's a good very good thing. It provides incentives for those who do not add much value to society to find a way to add much more value. That's a good thing.

Not every salmon makes it upstream. Not everyone deserves a trophy.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,817,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Two reasons I can not for the life of me understand why people think uncontrolled capitalism is a good idea.

#1 It is undemocratic. Capitalism and democracy are just not compatible. Capitalism just becomes who has the money to buy the most politicians. Voting is irrelevant in a capitalistic society.

#2 Capitalism is only good for the people in the top 1%, and for a certain segment of the bottom 99% who dream of someday becoming a part of the 1%. Even though the chances of that happening are virtually zero. Capitalism benefits such a small number of people.
First, no one is arguing in favor of uncontrolled capitalism. That is a straw man argument.

Second, I don't think you understand either capitalism or democracy well enough. I recommend you watch Free the Choose series on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3N2sNnGwa4

Old 05-29-2018, 09:26 AM

5,902 posts, read 4,404,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
What you see as a problem, I see as very good thing.

That's a good very good thing. It provides incentives for those who do not add much value to society to find a way to add much more value. That's a good thing.

Not every salmon makes it upstream. Not everyone deserves a trophy.
It’s scary seeing into the minds of people who don’t respect ownership rights and want to simply take from others “because”.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:03 PM

15,283 posts, read 8,894,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
First, no one is arguing in favor of uncontrolled capitalism. That is a straw man argument.
OK I'm sorry for the straw man. Scratch the word "uncontrolled" and make it just "capitalism". Capitalism is bad for 90% - 99% of the people. It only benefits a very small elite group. It needs to go. It will go, because it's not sustainable. The 1% will continue to get richer, as they have been for decades. The 99% will continue to get poorer, until they decide that they don't want to take it anymore.

Old 05-29-2018, 02:25 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,202,628 times
How much of that 82% of wealth, did the 1% use the government to grab it with? The 1% buy a lot of politicians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics