Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2018, 11:31 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Serious question for those who think that stealing from the poor and giving to the rich is a good idea. Because someday the rich will be so grateful that they will start showering all that money back down on the masses, even though that never ever happens. We have been giving tax breaks to the rich for the last close to 40 years. We have finally gotten to the point where 82% of the wealth is in the hands of 1%. How long should we stay on this road, before we start rethinking the policy? Until 99% of the wealth is in the hands of 1%? Until 99.99% of the wealth is in the hands of 1%? Until everything is in the hands of the 1% and the 99% are starving to death? What point could we say that this has gone on long enough?

Isn't it interesting that every time we have a recession, they respond with tax breaks for the poor and middle class, to stimulate the economy. But then when the recession is over they go back to stealing from the poor and giving to the rich again.
With our 2008 recession huge amounts of new money were created. The rich fed well off that. This was not a tax break for the poor.

With Trump, taxes for the rich were lowered. These are not moneys taken from the poor. These are less moneys taken from the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 12:16 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post

With Trump, taxes for the rich were lowered. These are not moneys taken from the poor. These are less moneys taken from the rich.
Less money from the rich means the poor and working class have a larger tax burden, also their expendable income is much less than a rich person's.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:22 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Less money from the rich means the poor and working class have a larger tax burden, also their expendable income is much less than a rich person's.
What experience or education do you have with taxes or finance?

Old 06-12-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Taxes do not necessarily go up for everyone else if we reduce taxes on someone somewhere.

For instance Tax Credits for solar or EV does not raise others taxes.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
What experience or education do you have with taxes or finance?
Doctorate.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Taxes do not necessarily go up for everyone else if we reduce taxes on someone somewhere.

For instance Tax Credits for solar or EV does not raise others taxes.
Because solar credits are minimal, Cutting taxes on all the rich only makes them richer and puts the tax burden on everyone else.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:15 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,432,537 times
Quote:
Doctorate.
Lol!!!!!

Old 06-12-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Because solar credits are minimal, Cutting taxes on all the rich only makes them richer and puts the tax burden on everyone else.
Solar taxes are a slight reduction in taxes for the ones with the means. Not the poor, but also not necessarily the very rich. I cannot find any link of solar credits taken vs wealth. My guess would be that a far greater number of middle and upper middle class take the credit than the very rich. It does makes all of them a bit richer.

But as we take a bit less tax from these folks, we don't necessarily as a result add on more tax to everyone else.

Old 06-12-2018, 02:30 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
So you think if a tree grows, and a man points to it and tells a man with a saw to cut it down, and he sells the timber, and gives 20% to the logger, it is the man who pointed to the tree who created the wealth.
The man who pointed recognized the VALUE of the tree and took advantage of that knowledge.

I am still kicking myself for not rolling 100% of my 401k money into Amazon stock years ago. I would have tripled my portfolio.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The man who pointed recognized the VALUE of the tree and took advantage of that knowledge.

I am still kicking myself for not rolling 100% of my 401k money into Amazon stock years ago. I would have tripled my portfolio.
Don't kick yourself, you didn't have a crystal ball, who knew an online bookseller would go on to be the richest man in the world? You could have lost it all if things didn't work as they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics