Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:12 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Turns out the worries over death of 9-5 jobs was a bit premature.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/07/b...g-economy.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 11:43 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Okay so to be honest that article was boring as hell so I only perused it. My stories are anecdotal but most people I know are doing something in the gig economy. I'm self employed and an entrepreneur so maybe the people I know are skewed towards people who are Entrepreneurial but most people I know have some kind of side hustle, some in a more structured scenario like working for Uber ot doing gigs on Thumbtack but so many people I know are selling on eBay or Amazon, selling gigs on Fiverr, selling digital products, courses, etc. People are publishing eBooks, distributing their own music, starting yOutube channels. The gig economy definitely is real

Old 06-08-2018, 12:01 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
The labor force is about 160 million, and the article says 10% are working exclusively in non-traditional (i.e. gig) work arrangements. That's still 16 million people, and the article says about 1/3 of adults do supplemental or full time gig work. That's another 38 million working part time gigs. But maybe this was always the case. When my father came back from WWII he supplemented his salary from working construction during the day with driving a cab at night. I knew many people in the 70's who worked part time night jobs in addition to day jobs. That part time work had no benefits or guarantee of continued employment, so were basically gigs.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:29 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
When you feel compelled to do this sort of post...
please include a quote statement or two that has inspired you to share.
Otherwise all we have is click bait trolling.

Thanks

Old 06-08-2018, 12:33 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,100,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When you feel compelled to do this sort of post...
please include a quote statement or two that has inspired you to share.
Otherwise all we have is click bait trolling.

Thanks
Completely agree, don't just post links, post some context or your thoughts on the issue.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:39 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Well, the gig economy has served full time jazz musicians so well, that we should extend its joys further!

Old 06-09-2018, 07:51 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Not really that surprising. Taken a look at the unemployment rate? Gig economy is always more attractive when the labor market is weak. It's why I got into it. Will I exit it? Maybe. Benefits would be nice. Not sure I want to work 8-5 in an office though. None the less, it helps to have the option and I know a lot of people are taking it as the jobs in my field are now available. They were not, at least not in any large number, in 2011. On the other hand if you want to work 70+ hours a week, gigs great right now too. I've been triaging deadlines for most of the last six month despite turning down work.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:07 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really that surprising. Taken a look at the unemployment rate? Gig economy is always more attractive when the labor market is weak. It's why I got into it. Will I exit it? Maybe. Benefits would be nice. Not sure I want to work 8-5 in an office though. None the less, it helps to have the option and I know a lot of people are taking it as the jobs in my field are now available. They were not, at least not in any large number, in 2011. On the other hand if you want to work 70+ hours a week, gigs great right now too. I've been triaging deadlines for most of the last six month despite turning down work.
Yeah true . The unemployment rate has gone down drastically in many places .
Just using Vallejo as an example , it was up to 17 percent in 2010 , now it’s 4.3%.

In California at least I think a lot of people are doing the gig jobs like Uber and food delivery apps in order to help make ends meet because the cost of living is so high especially housing .

Old 06-15-2018, 08:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The labor force is about 160 million, and the article says 10% are working exclusively in non-traditional (i.e. gig) work arrangements. That's still 16 million people, and the article says about 1/3 of adults do supplemental or full time gig work. That's another 38 million working part time gigs. But maybe this was always the case. When my father came back from WWII he supplemented his salary from working construction during the day with driving a cab at night. I knew many people in the 70's who worked part time night jobs in addition to day jobs. That part time work had no benefits or guarantee of continued employment, so were basically gigs.
Yeah I know they used to call it moonlighting but that term isn’t used anymore to my knowledge .

Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
The unemployment rate has gone down drastically in many places .
Where that seems to be the case... my observation is that UNDERemployment is up.

Specific example:
Neighbor is holding it together with a job many would call success.
Decent benefits and hours etc and it pays him... $38,000.

But with his education and experience DOING this job...
others in similar COL areas and divisions in his same company... get $52,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics