Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 02:59 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
How is that any different from getting into a taxi? At least with Uber, you have the driver's photo, the make and model of his car, his license tag number, and can check on other riders' ratings of the driver, before you even get in the car. Moreover, once in, you have a turn-by-turn delineation of the route taken on your phone and captured by Uber should something go amiss. That's more info and protection that you'll ever get by hailing a cab.
Uber has a 20% Commision which is a really large chunk since the drivers are doing all the work.
Uber should be supplying the car, gas and insurance for that large a hike.

They are shysters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 03:04 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Nope
I hate my commute to work much less doing it for a living.
You would need to pay me about 50 dollars an hour to drive in traffic in a big city, which is where you would need to be as an Uber driver.
You don't need to be in a big city, any tourist area works. The drivers down the shore in the summer do a booming business. Any area with bars does well, too.

The problem is that due to that, we get a lot of drivers from other areas who just park and wait and compete with the local drivers. I don't like that because I once got charged wait time while standing outside the entire time, because the GPS wasn't spot on apparently. When I spoke with him on the phone to tell him where I was, which anyone from this area would know, he had no clue what I was talking about.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:09 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Uber has been around for 9 years so far, currently has a revenue of $7.5 billion, and has branched out to other delivery services... Worldwide.

They aren’t going anywhere.

Cab companies are expensive, hence the reason no one wants them. Airport cabs have been getting pissed that people rather call Ubers to go to their location. It’s common sense, I can ride in the comfort of a nice luxury car for cheap at the touch of a button or in a crappy yellow ugly cab that I have to call and explain my location to.
This is because there are a lot of desperate people thanks to Globalism that will do anything to survive.
Hopefully the government brings the hammer down on Uber and shuts them down.
They are cockroaches.

Old 06-17-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
This is because there are a lot of desperate people thanks to Globalism that will do anything to survive.
Hopefully the government brings the hammer down on Uber and shuts them down.
They are cockroaches.
I hope they don't, because IMO the cab industry was too unregulated and people too vulnerable to being cheated. I can't count how many times I'd take a cab one way and get charged one amount, then on the way home sometimes twice as much. It's like they size you up and decide what they can get away with charging. Atlantic City was the worst for this, until the city finally cracked down on them and made them post rates. But in suburban areas there are not the same standards.

I also couldn't use cabs when I was going to PT for a back injury and couldn't drive, because it was too unpredictable time-wise (I do not live in a city, I had to call on the phone). If my appointment was at 11am, I'd call at 9am and tell them when my appointment was, and half the time the guy would be down in the parking lot beeping his horn 45 minutes early, and I wasn't even ready yet. On the way back, I might have to wait 30 minutes for them to come back (30 minutes is a long time with a back injury). I als had no way to see when they were close, so I'd have to go downstairs and stand in my apartment parking lot to wait for them.

With Uber, I can wait till I'm ready and call for one 10 minutes before I have to leave, and I can sit in comfort and wait because I can see where he is.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:35 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I hope they don't, because IMO the cab industry was too unregulated and people too vulnerable to being cheated.
I agree. In the days before Uber/Lyft I had been ripped off every time I had to take a cab.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:04 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I hope they don't, because IMO the cab industry was too unregulated and people too vulnerable to being cheated.
This was meant as a joke, right?

The cab industry is highly regulated. Uber and Lyft have zero regulations. And their drivers net under $10 per hour

Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Uber has a 20% Commision which is a really large chunk since the drivers are doing all the work.
Uber should be supplying the car, gas and insurance for that large a hike.

They are shysters.
It's 25% or more plus they take the first $3 or more of every ride. They also keep any extra that they charge the passenger. The algorithm charges for the longest route and the longest time it should take, If the driver takes a shorter route they get paid for what they drove and Uber keeps the difference.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
This was meant as a joke, right?

The cab industry is highly regulated. Uber and Lyft have zero regulations. And their drivers net under $10 per hour
I'm not joking, and I explained my position in my post.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:28 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I took two Lyfts today. The first driver was hot (which is unusual) and we had a friendly conversation, so I tipped him extra. The second driver was a big scary looking guy who didn’t talk but at least he didn’t kill me, so I gave him five stars.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I took two Lyfts today. The first driver was hot (which is unusual) and we had a friendly conversation, so I tipped him extra. The second driver was a big scary looking guy who didn’t talk but at least he didn’t kill me, so I gave him five stars.
Our last Uber drove right past us and picked up other people, lol. It was night, we were leaving a BBQ at a boat club. I saw the car coming, leaped up and down to get his attention, but he whizzed past us around a corner. I picked up my phone, opened the app and tried to get to the "contact your driver" section, but by that time he had already picked up other people and all it said was "How was your ride? Rate your driver".

He picked up and drove other people to another address than the one I had requested, and it went on my account, under my credit card! I don't know if it was someone else from the BBQ or from a bar down the street. I was so mad I gave him 1 star (my bff, who drives for both Uber and Lyft, scolded me for that when I told her). We then used Lyft and got our ride home 10 minutes later. I contacted Uber through the app though and they credited me back my money and gave me a $5.00 credit for a future ride. That's the first time I've ever had an Uber stolen out from under me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics