Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2018, 12:06 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,487,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Where's the beating a dead horse emoji?
The op thinks he is a hard working individual. I would argue that he is not. He works one job and is content to stay at the same status and hope things are given to him. Others work 2 jobs or elevate themselves to earn more money. I think people like the op should be required to work another job and go to school to experience the hard work and extra effort it takes to get ahead. But alas he is just waiting to get his inheritance. He is the person he claims to despise.

A lot of kids are fortunate to get into the family business, but many start at the bottom and work their way up. That's how they learn to run the business by doing all aspects along. The way.
Yeah it’s hypocritical to rage against rich kids when waiting on an inheritance .

With family businesss it would be stupid for someone to leave the business to their kids and not teach them the business . Most business owners realize this so they generally don’t start their kid off as CEO .
They are also mindful that doesn’t look good and isn’t good for company morale .

They usually are more demanding of their kids than other employees .

Old 06-22-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Yea am working hard, call working smart as you call it. Its friday and all my projects are done and being implemented now. Just won a 2.3 million dollar contract for PCI-DD compliance project for the military.
So I take it you are making a lot more than minimum wage .

Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,992,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If one roommate loses his job, the whole system falls apart.

You also have cases where a spouse dies, leaving the other with a kid or 2 to raise on their own. Kids can't get a job in the meantime.
By that measure, let's say the minimum wage worker DID earn enough for that apartment. What if THEY lose their job? Are you now demanding that employers keep people working, to ensure they have a roof over their heads?

Your scenarios are called "life".

Life means if your roommate loses his job, he either gets another, or he moves out and you get another roommate.

Life means that you get life insurance, that provides for your family in case of untimely death.

Cue the excuses.......

Old 06-22-2018, 12:13 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,918,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So I take it you are making a lot more than minimum wage .

Well yea, i havent work min wage in over 25 years when it was 4.25. I worked hard, went to school, got a trade, 2 trades actually, and bust my arse off to get where i am. Did it all without the need of help from my parents, or by kissing arse. And dang sure didnt require me to work 2 jobs, as i learn to budget my checks. Thus why i have zero history, another story another day... Brought up, you pay cash for the small and only take out loans for things that make you or get you to money, like a car. No need to add debt when its not needed, but again another story another day about that bs. So to tell me i am lazy and dont work hard to get where i am now, is a insult.

Far difference between the working class vs the rich.. and that is work and earning our way through life.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:25 PM

10,785 posts, read 5,699,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
If one roommate loses his job, the whole system falls apart.

You also have cases where a spouse dies, leaving the other with a kid or 2 to raise on their own. Kids can't get a job in the meantime.
There are always other roommates.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are always other roommates.
Or Airbnb

Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Well yea, i havent work min wage in over 25 years when it was 4.25. I worked hard, went to school, got a trade, 2 trades actually, and bust my arse off to get where i am. Did it all without the need of help from my parents, or by kissing arse. And dang sure didnt require me to work 2 jobs, as i learn to budget my checks. Thus why i have zero history, another story another day... Brought up, you pay cash for the small and only take out loans for things that make you or get you to money, like a car. No need to add debt when its not needed, but again another story another day about that bs. So to tell me i am lazy and dont work hard to get where i am now, is a insult.

Far difference between the working class vs the rich.. and that is work and earning our way through life.
So what is the problem ? Sounds like you are doing pretty well ..

Do you want us to give you a virtual trophy to recognize your efforts ?

Old 06-22-2018, 02:06 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,918,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So what is the problem ? Sounds like you are doing pretty well ..

Do you want us to give you a virtual trophy to recognize your efforts ?
yea and bag of cookies too..

Old 06-22-2018, 03:05 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,682,219 times
Wow, this thread blew up! This article should be a good advertisement for getting an education and a useful college degree. I went through college without a penny from my parents, so it can be done without that much difficulty, unless you just blow off high school completely, party the whole time, and possibly end up with a child. The only time I've ever worked for minimum wage was in college. I had to share an apartment in Texas without air-conditioning so I could afford the rent.

I think the premise of the article is that we have adults who are relying on minimum wage work their entire lives and they should be able to live "modestly" while doing so. I think that premise is completely ridiculous and defeats the point of having the economic system that we currently have.

Another premise I think is ridiculous is that someone should be able to completely blow off an education given to them freely for 13 years and make no attempt to gain any useful skills on their journey to adulthood, yet suffer no negative financial consequences from these choices.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:12 PM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times
Quote:
You dont know me just like i dont know you, but i am the hardest working person next to the person in your cubical. Yes i can work 2 jobs, but why do that when one can and has paid my bills. Nobody would need to work 2 jobs if they are paid correctly and get COL increases. I got my first COL increase first time with this company after being here for a year. All other places i worked, they laugh and your stuck with same pay rate till you die. I thought the day would never come where i can be treated like a human being that deserves to get paid well and have respect of others. As for my "in hesitance", its only 100k and it going to be split between 3 kids, and funeral costs. I wouldnt call it much of a inheritance other then it just covers their bills and other needs. Their "WILL" said that each child must prove the worked for 20 years before they can get a check. So they are making sure we are being productive in society.

Now with your quote about kids in the family business, i seriously doubt they are starting at the bottom min wage class to learn the business. When was the last time you walk in a mulit million building and see the owner son opening the door for customers, or taking out the trash. That the bottom of the business if they want them to start their.
So if you bills are paid, why are you always complaining how you can't buy a house and how unfair it is? Seems like life is cruising along just fine.
You're working in a cubical? Why don't you go out and do real work like you espouse like digging ditches or being a roofer? Those are the hard workers, not sitting in a cubical.

So you think owners kids starting at the bottom are paid $200k a year right off the bat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics