Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2018, 01:22 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
They are rational utility maximizers, the same as you. They just have a different utility function (as we all do).

How do you explain problem alcoholics and gamblers? Is the utility thing working out for them?

Old 06-17-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
You're correct - I'm just not sure that raising the minimum wage is going to solve anything. In fact, there's some compelling evidence that it will make things worse. We've already seeing minimum wage fast food jobs being replace by kiosks. When a machine can do something for less than a human, business owners will switch to machines. Short of thwarting technological advancement via legislation, this something we're going to have to come to grips with. Income inequality is a huge problem (much more so than the illegal immigration and gun-control red herrings the teeming masses are obsessed with), but simplistic knee-jerk reactions like raising the minimum wage aren't the solution.

My theory is that raising the minimum wage merely enables ever-higher rents, because it does NOTHING to address the intractable underlying problem of an intended shprtage of housing affordable to minimum wage earners.

BUT homeowners will grudgingly accept a minimum wage increase to avoid addressing the housing shortage, which is politically off the table.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Explain how the government makes it unavailable to you. Perhaps you should consider taking some responsibility for your own situation. Also, what makes you think you have the right to a 400 sq ft home on a 2,500 sq-ft lot? I'm really struggling to understand your mindset.

It's called ZONING. Socialized property rights for the collective benefit of homeowners.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:32 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Explain how the government makes it unavailable to you. Perhaps you should consider taking some responsibility for your own situation. Also, what makes you think you have the right to a 400 sq ft home on a 2,500 sq-ft lot? I'm really struggling to understand your mindset.
Because the neighborhood and society should adapt to their wants and desires .

Old 06-17-2018, 01:40 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Be grateful you own your home. 36 states extend preferential property tax rates to homeowners. Example: the school property tax rate in Michigan on rental property is 4 times the rate on owner-occupied homes. That is why Detroit has the highest domestic cost of renting, compared with the cost of owning.

Onerous local regulations are common on rental property which would NEVER be tolerated by homeowners.Would you accept a government inspection of your home every year - with YOU paying for it? Didn't think so.
If I was renting under a specific government program then in order to reap the benefits I'd have to pay the piper.

In fact I DO pay the piper every single year. It's called federal income tax. And state and local property taxes. And registration fees. And sales taxes. And self employment taxes. All sorts of taxes, taxes, taxes.

By the way, I just paid for someone to come out and see where the utilities run and get this - some of them are lines to services that I don't even have on my property. And they are in an easement, which means that though I pay for the upkeep, maintenance, and ambiance of that part of the property that I "own," it can be dug up, taken away, whatever at any time.

I am grateful that we own our home by the way. I'm just pointing out that we pay dearly for that "privilege." My husband has worked for nearly 50 years, and I worked for over 30 years in order to enjoy this home. So I'm grateful for the opportunity but I know that it came at a big price - and that we're still paying for it and will continue to pay for it - from our earnings - long after we make the final mortgage payment - which thankfully shouldn't be too far in our future.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Because the neighborhood and society should adapt to their wants and desires .

How about government should adapt to free markets???

What a concept, eh?

Old 06-17-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
If I was renting under a specific government program then in order to reap the benefits I'd have to pay the piper.

In fact I DO pay the piper every single year. It's called federal income tax. And state and local property taxes. And registration fees. And sales taxes. And self employment taxes. All sorts of taxes, taxes, taxes.

By the way, I just paid for someone to come out and see where the utilities run and get this - some of them are lines to services that I don't even have on my property. And they are in an easement, which means that though I pay for the upkeep, maintenance, and ambiance of that part of the property that I "own," it can be dug up, taken away, whatever at any time.

I am grateful that we own our home by the way. I'm just pointing out that we pay dearly for that "privilege." My husband has worked for nearly 50 years, and I worked for over 30 years in order to enjoy this home. So I'm grateful for the opportunity but I know that it came at a big price - and that we're still paying for it and will continue to pay for it - from our earnings - long after we make the final mortgage payment - which thankfully shouldn't be too far in our future.

Renters pay more, because they pay a premium for temporary, impaired use of property, and in the end, have nothing to show for their greater expenditure.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

I'm referring to normal everyday market-rate renting without any specific government program.

Old 06-17-2018, 02:08 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Renters pay more, because they pay a premium for temporary, impaired use of property, and in the end, have nothing to show for their greater expenditure.
If they pay a premium ... then why rent ?

Many people complain about high rents and greedy landlords but they could move elsewhere and own .

They are paying for a service use of someone else’s property for a certain period of time .
Landlords aren’t forcing people to rent their places .

Old 06-17-2018, 02:11 PM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
If they pay a premium ... then why rent ?

Many people complain about high rents and greedy landlords but they could move elsewhere and own .
Obviously if they had the money, they wouldn't be renting to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics