Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 12:03 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Their purpose was not and never has been "solving the country's ills". It's rather how to maximize long term power and $$$ for themselves and who they work for.
for me it has always been playing the cards i am dealt . complaining about the hand and the dealer has done nothing for me-ever .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 12:11 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for me it has always been playing the cards i am dealt . complaining about the hand and the dealer has done nothing for me-ever .
Learning about the dealer and how your hand relates can be rewarding. It could be as simple as the hows and whys of interest rates and the stock market.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:16 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
but that is not what goes on in this forum at all . we have all our monday morning quarterback , economist wanna bees . most think they have it all solved and that things can't play out any other way then their views .

Old 06-17-2018, 01:05 PM

5,667 posts, read 6,591,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Complaining? It's more like figuring out how the game is rigged to the overall detriment of 99.9% of the population. You can still play your cards to maximum effect while working to change the game.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
As much as I despise the printing of money, I can't disagree with what you said.
I don't like it either, but it would have swiftly ended the predicament we were in: low demand, zero interest rates, and the threat of depression.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:44 PM

7,643 posts, read 4,589,722 times
I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that things are horrible overseas. China is starting to address their debt issue, albeit with modest first steps, but that machine continues to purr with mid-6% economic growth. Japan seems to be returning to growth with a very strong account surplus. Abe's machinations are creating quite a government debt bubble, but when you're paying out .02%....why not? S. Korea, Taiwan and Thailand are growing in a nice controlled fashion. India, Malaysia and Indonesia are more shooting for growth

Europe is doing terrific. Overall the EU grew 2.5% last quarter with a combined surplus of $473.7 Billion and a mere .8% of government deficit. Germany's current account surplus for the last 12 months is at a staggering 322.8 Billion US with 2.3% GDP growth in Q1 and a budget surplus. Netherlands is also punching way outside their weight class. Heck, even Greece has throttled back their unemployment rate to 20% and can sell their government issue at 4.58% compared to our 2.96%

The US is still running massive current account deficits and the Federal deficit is now at 4.6% of GDP. Last quarter's GDP of 2.8% is commendable, but I wouldn't say we're running away with the show, especially with 2.8% inflation. The USD is about in the middle in terms of strength.

Basically, the US and Britain are running up debts to prop up the world, China's playing their dominance card, Japan's running their unlimited credit card with a falling population and Germany's getting just fat while the periphery keeps the EU from running up like crazy.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Basically, the US and Britain are running up debts to prop up the world.
Yep, the US is expected to absorb developing countries' excess production, so we give them US$ (with interest) in exchange for goods. That's the main reason why we have fiscal deficits. US$ are in high demand and overvalued as a result. US production and wages are then depressed. Been going on for 35-40 years now.

This is a great scam for companies that can move production overseas. Sucks for most of us though.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:27 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,462,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Yep, the US is expected to absorb developing countries' excess production, so we give them US$ (with interest) in exchange for goods. That's the main reason why we have fiscal deficits. US$ are in high demand and overvalued as a result. US production and wages are then depressed. Been going on for 35-40 years now.

This is a great scam for companies that can move production overseas. Sucks for most of us though.
We give them USD for goods, and they might decide to exchange the USD for Treasuries.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
How does that square with wages not going up at all - and, in fact, buying power going down (and headed down further with higher interest rates, higher health care costs and higher energy prices)???

I think this thread is one of those example of "I can find an article to say exactly what I want"....

What "most Americans think" is total BS. As has been shown many times, 30% of Americans think they are in the top 10%. An amazing percentage of Americans think they will be wealthy someday - but they will not. No way.

Optimism even if it's not accurate does fuel economic growth. I do agree on the Obama and now Trump recovery is top heavy. Most Americans are not really gaining anything but most people who want to be employed are. I do worry that the next severe downturn will be hard to combat. We have too much debt and interest rates are still historically low. We have little ammunition except for making the debt even larger and kicking the can down the road once again.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:31 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,511,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
It didn't look well during the recession. Now America has bounced back. Wow.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ope-china-cool
Oh yes? Look at this topic please //www.city-data.com/forum/work-...loyed-but.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics