Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 08:41 AM

5,053 posts, read 2,982,989 times

Advertisements

The large central banks world-wide are now run by proponents of Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) where the overall goal is full employment and adequate liquidity so as to avoid financial crises and deflation events. In these banking systems debt=money=liquidity, and there are no reasons to limit the creation of debt. In fact, debt is issued by the central banks in whatever amounts needed to reach "full employment". A consequence of debt creation is price inflation, but MMT economists argue that inflation is always preferable to deflation, and any short-term problems caused by rapid price increases can be fixed by -- issuing more debt (!).

We ain't in Kansas anymore...

Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 AM

18,789 posts, read 8,392,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The large central banks world-wide are now run by proponents of Modern Monetary Theory (MMT) where the overall goal is full employment and adequate liquidity so as to avoid financial crises and deflation events. In these banking systems debt=money=liquidity, and there are no reasons to limit the creation of debt. In fact, debt is issued by the central banks in whatever amounts needed to reach "full employment". A consequence of debt creation is price inflation, but MMT economists argue that inflation is always preferable to deflation, and any short-term problems caused by rapid price increases can be fixed by -- issuing more debt (!).

We ain't in Kansas anymore...
MMT suggests higher interest rates and more taxes to fight inflation. Not issue more debt.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:06 AM

5,053 posts, read 2,982,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
MMT suggests higher interest rates and more taxes to fight inflation. Not issue more debt.
Higher interest rates and higher taxes are deflationary and reduce liquidity. Therefore they must be offset by more debt. It works for the Japanese so it must be right.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,517,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Also, a lot of the old homes in this country were built to last with brick and strong foundations.
Compare that today with cheap chinese drywall and pressboard.
Isn't this apples and oranges?

You're comparing an interior finishing product (drywall) with a foundation element like brick. Homes today are actually much larger and energy efficient with lots of things you take for granted, and older homes have had their fair share of structural, plumbing, and toxicity issues. 50s and 60s were the peak of lead based products in home construction.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:37 AM

18,892 posts, read 14,075,637 times
TRY 1933...
Who really has the power to create money?
Not CONgress.
Congress can coin money (stamp bullion) or borrow money (bullion). It cannot create bullion. Nor can anyone else.
In case you didn't know, pursuant to 12 USC Sec.411, dollar bills are IOUs (debt) denominated in dollars (thus a minus value). And the only way CONgress can authorize more is by [wait for it]
BORROWING MORE!
Which explains the insane perpetual deficit spending.
And to generate new notes to pay usury (interest) on that borrowing is to
[you guessed it]
BORROW MORE.
And you can't do a thing about it. [see clause 4, 14th amendment, USCON]

LEGAL TENDER STATUS
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...al-tender.aspx
". . .Federal Reserve notes are not redeemable in gold, silver or any other commodity, and receive no backing by anything. This has been the case since 1933. The notes have no value for themselves, but for what they will buy. In another sense, because they are legal tender, Federal Reserve notes are "backed" by all the goods and services in the economy."
[] FRNs are not redeemable since 1933 (a violation of Title 12 USC Sec 411)
[] You might inquire as to how CONgress can use YOUR goods and services to BACK their "bad checks"

Senate Report 93-549
War and Emergency Powers Acts
"A majority of the people of the United States have lived all of their lives under emergency rule. For 40 years (as of the report 1933-1973), freedoms and governmental procedures guaranteed by the Constitution have, in varying degrees, been abridged by laws brought into force by states of national emergency."
FREEDOMS ... GUARANTEED BY THE CONSTITUTION ... HAVE BEEN ABRIDGED BY LAWS ... UNDER EMERGENCY RULE ...

Constitutional U.S.A. (1789 - 1933) R.I.P.

http://famguardian.org/Subjects/LawA...port93-549.htm

CAN YOU NOW GUESS WHAT THE CAUSE OF THAT EMERGENCY WAS / IS?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 PM

24,623 posts, read 19,080,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
This is not the fault of consumers.
The demand is there for cheaper and smaller houses but builders would rather take on more profitable projects with bigger houses for the wealthy.
That's perfectly within the rights of builders. There's no law, theory or corollary of Economics that says the needs of 100% of consumers have to be met.

If neither you nor consumers like, there's nothing to bar you from starting your own home building company and building cheaper and smaller houses.

Given that those builders aren't dropping like flies, then they must be meeting the demands of consumers.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:36 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,380,737 times
I must be a simpleton. No economic growth since 2001? Hmmmm, brb, gonna check my accounts.....
Ok I'm back. I guess all the money I've made since 2001 from my investments is phony baloney? lol I guess my vehicles, boats, properties are the result of no economic growth. Sounds like a good movie though.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 PM

3,092 posts, read 1,937,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
I must be a simpleton. No economic growth since 2001? Hmmmm, brb, gonna check my accounts.....
Ok I'm back. I guess all the money I've made since 2001 from my investments is phony baloney? lol I guess my vehicles, boats, properties are the result of no economic growth. Sounds like a good movie though.
Does the entire country revolve around you?

Old 07-15-2018, 07:45 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysgenic View Post
Does the entire country revolve around you?
Lol nope I'm just a tidepool microcosm, a simple kind mirror reflection of the economy countering the OP's charge.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,213,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
No, it's not the result of real economic growth. Our economy stopped growing organically in 2001 and has been on life support thru debt spending, thru various stimulus programs, QE, ZIRP, OPERATION TWIST and all those crazy programs. The Fed criminals have been simulating or faking economic growth since 2001 till PRESENT creating first and second real estate bubble now, stock market bubble......bubbles everywhere.

What is solution to this madness of today and this madness since 2001? The solution, of course, is deflation. Yes. Deflation saves us from inflation. But, the people who own the world don't want it to deflate. If it does, they lose all their money. What do you think ZIRP and QE were all about? Prolonging the inflationary or SPENDING CYCLE to keep prices from falling.

And one more thing, we have millions of homeless, millions who can't afford health-care, millions who are drug-addicts, millions who are alcoholics, millions who are afflicted with GENDER-CONFUSION and want desperately to be what they are not. We have a whole generation who cannot afford housing and who are living with their parents, making minimum wage in the new economy, which is bending over, as we speak, to offer itself up to a culture of robots (so corporations don't have to pay wages). Are we really doing so great???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics